What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x data logs to FlyGarmin logbook frustrations..

robblr

Lost the better part of a day so far trying to sync about a year's worth of Garmin G3x .csv logs to my FlyGarmin logbook. I'm a ForeFlight user, however ForeFlight won't accept the data-rich G3x logs. So my very efficient hack is to import the logs to FlyGarmin, then download the logbook data as a .csv, massage the columns to a format readable by ForeFlight and import over there.

However, the problem I'm up against appears to be Cloudflare, the CDN being used by Garmin. After fifteen minutes pass and most of my uploads fail to process, I get locked out of Garmin completely for about 15 minutes. Apparently it's seeing my benign logbook uploads as a security threat and literally blocking me from Garmin.

Frustration is an understatement. If anyone has any tips on automating the G3X -> ForeFlight tracklog/logbook workflow, I am all ears. Seems like a simple enough process to script, but I'm not that kind of IT guy.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 3.39.30 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-02 at 3.39.30 PM.png
    309 KB · Views: 19
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-03-02 at 14.58.06.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-03-02 at 14.58.06.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 18
Yeah, Garmin's FlyGarmin logbook does struggle with the bulk upload/download capabilities. I would recommend using flysto.net for the G3X uploads, and then doing the logbook csv export from there to re-swizzle into ForeFlight's logbook format. I think you'll also find the analysis tools over on FlySto a cut above the Garmin site.

This does look like a fun scripting challenge though...l might take it up on a cloudy Friday afternoon to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the idea! 💡

Ooh, hadn't heard of flysto.net. Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out.

And I think I finally got all my log files into flygarmin. One thing that wasn't obvious at first is that if it finds a duplicate, it won't import it but gives no indication as to why. In fact, if it errors out for any reason, it doesn't tell you. They could do better on their error logging and reporting.

Since I started using it in 2022 (when I bought my RV4), they added the ability to group log files within a certain time frame. This is useful if you (like me) log a day of flying multiple legs on a single line. I had to go back, delete a bunch of single-leg entries, and reimport after telling it to group anything within 12 hours as a single flight.

Took about two days, but I finally have all my ducks in a row. 122 hours of smiles in my RV-4 to date.

I just abandoned Garmin Pilot (and the logbook) because a. i got laughed at for using Pilot. b. the logbook loads ALL of your flights into one webpage (behind the scenes) and it takes forever. --that was fine early on, but now with hundreds of flights.. I wait 30-seconds+ to get into Logbook to do anything.

I ended up exporting all the data and importing it into Foreflight.. I did massage the .csv file so I could get as much data as possible into Foreflight.. But, as for the "data-rich" G3X logs.. I subscribed to Cloud Ahoy (a Foreflight product, but apparently completely separate).. that accepts the g3x log files and has a surprisingly great analytical and visualization features. As much as I resisted Foreflight, being a Garmin fanboy and all. I have to say I think I'm happy I switched..even at the slightly higher yearly cost or both products.

Back