What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Full size baffle template source

BMallory

Can anyone point me to a source, 0360 straight valve wide deck template source.
I have more time on my hands than money at moment so I'd like to build myself.

My RV-4 plans had them, sort of.

Not a direct answer to your question, but..I built a -4 , and the plan set has baseline full scale drawings for an O-320 baffle. I built mine around an O-320H2AD which I was installing, and while similar to the O320 family, there are many differences in the H2AD,and I had to make many adjustments. Not sure what RV you are building, but all baffles are not equal, and the cowling, engine mount,ect will dictate your plan. I put my oil cooler behind the cylinder, attached to the baffle, while some go remote or on the inlet ramp. My process was super simple, and I made an entire baffle assembly that fit my set-up, exact to scale using some beer case cardboard (always plenty in the shop it seems). I wish I made a picture, but I did not. After the fit with engine installed and cowlings on was established, all was un-taped and transferred to aluminum. I have attached some pics of the finished result as installed. I have some pics in my build album that show them before all the seals and stuff were installed, but you can get the idea. I chose scotchbrite/alodine final finish, so no paint chipping and easy to inspect...You have time, so just do it!

Attachments

• O320 front side.jpg
    O320 front side.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 79
  • O320 left side.jpg
    O320 left side.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 81
  • O320 right side.jpg
    O320 right side.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 73
Hey Tom, I have full a scale dwg for 0-320 for RV4.

If you think you may be interested, I will take a picture and you can decide if it will work. If yes, I will let you borrow it & I will put it in the mail to you.

Steve

Bill E. That is some nice work!
I will incorporate some of those ideas.
My plane is 8A wide deck straight valve 0360 fixed (ground adjustable prop) with system 32 EFI. Lots of combinations to be had in the experimental world! Soon nice to be untethered from a production design.
I picked up some 1/4 foam insulation board from Lowes for 10 bucks. I like 6061 t4 .032 so that will be my mat choice

My RV6 full sized plans, early 1990's: drawings 55, 55a, 56, 57 and 57a are for baffles, see some pics below.

Might be a decent starting point if you could find a set of these drawings locally.

IMG_0001 Large.jpeg

IMG_0002 Large.jpeg

Fixnflyguy, your aircraft maintenance background is all over that set of baffles. Really nice workmanship!

Back