What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel tank inlet fit to tank skin?

I’m at 26iS/U-03 (03/07/19 rev 2) step 4; I’ve clecoed my T-01229 inlet assembly to the T-01221A tank top skin, and there’s a visible gap along the bend in the skin of .055” on one side, and .0625” on the other.

Is this acceptable and we just count on the ProSeal to fill the gap? Or should I try to swap this one for a better fit? (Thanks!)

Attachments

• mail.jpeg
    mail.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 132
  • mail 2.jpeg
    mail 2.jpeg
    53 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Gap

That's quite a space. Proseal might seal initially, but may fail later. I would replace.

Have a tig welder clamp it to a piece of stainless steel or copper, weld up the holes, then redrill them in place. Lots of ways to transfer the holes, either back drill if you can get in there, or use a strap duplicator, or make a paper template and double stick tape..

Or, have it TIG welded in place…

Not good advice.
The fuel tank itself is made from 2024 – T3 material, which is not weldable.
My opinion is that filling the gap with tank sealant is not an issue. There are a lot of points on RV tanks where there are gaps larger than this, such as in corners, that are sealed with sealant.

How about this stuff?

Not good advice.
The fuel tank itself is made from 2024 – T3 material, which is not weldable.
My opinion is that filling the gap with tank sealant is not an issue. There are a lot of points on RV tanks where there are gaps larger than this, such as in corners, that are sealed with sealant.

How about this stuff?

Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 16.40.44.png

Thanks, all! Great news, though: I'd written to Support before I asked here (but didn't expect a quick response because it was right around when Van's video came out last week). They got back to me today and told me they'd exchange my inlet for one that fits better. I'm picking up a will-call order shortly, and they said they'd have it ready.

Keep in mind that a rivet would've pulled in the gap a bit more as well, putting a cleco in that hole would've closed it up more but a rivet would do better.

I would have been OK to Pro Sealing that gap because its at the top of the tank and there isn't any pressure on it from the fuel except a minimal amount if you fill up all the way. I think we've sealed up bigger gaps in the corners at the bottom of the tank.

Back