What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forward Side Skin Alignment

Morepower

As you can see from the photos (I hope), the bottom edge of forward side skin is about 5/16" above the lower edge of the lower longeron. Clecos in about every other hole went in with no issues. Is this normal? (first time trying to post a picture, hope it works)
CcrsKCrrJ5XfpF4z6
?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CcrsKCrrJ5XfpF4z6

Last edited:
You are good. You can see the offset on the detail in DWG 75. It’s to clear the curve of the bottom skin that overlaps it as I recall.

The true test is where your rivet line ends up relative to the inside of the upper flange of the lower forward longeron.

Mine looked like yours. I used a slide micrometer to layout the rivet line at the mid point of the useable surface of the upper flange. But it turned out when I clecoed the skin in place the line was visible and almost perfectly centered in each of the pre punched holes.

Last edited:
This was from my build log.

Before you measure anything, you should cleco the gear tower, the backing plate, the gear steel structure because there could be a lot of things that can move. There is a slight compound curve in the forward section and this is why you are seeing the strap that I used to pull everything tight.

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 67
If memory serves, that tab is for alignment and it’s even with the edge. And if your holes are lining up, that’s a good sign.

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 40
Found a picture that shows the tabs on my build.

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 56
Back