What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into KEIK IFR from the east

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
All you Denver area pilots.

Planning an RV-8 IFR flight from Virginia to Erie (KEIK) for late August. I’d appreciate recommendations on the IFR flight plan to get into Erie and not upset the good Denver area ATC folks.

Thanks,
Carl

Carl, you check any recommended routes on Foreflight from the east into Erie or Broomfield? Looks like many different options have been cleared recently. Personally, I would file Yimzo to Prong or V8 over the VOR. A surprising amount of Direct has been cleared too. Either way they will start slapping you with vectors like any other bravo. :)

Planning an RV-8 IFR flight from Virginia to Erie (KEIK) for late August. I’d appreciate recommendations on the IFR flight plan to get into Erie and not upset the good Denver area ATC folks.

Thanks,
Carl

I have been there a couple of times, both IFR, as well as centennial several times. Regardless of your filled route, you can pretty much expect vectors once 30 miles or so East of the Bravo airspace. On my trips to Erie, they sent me west a good ways, then way north before going SW to Erie. Have no idea if that is normal or not. They vectored me on a course that was only 5- 10 miles from a cell (got beat to ****) and had to scream pretty loud to get a deviation that moved me a bit further away from it, even though ADSB showed no planes anywhere near me. Got the feeling I was more of an annoyance than a client. One trip I left from longmont VFR and tried to pick up my clearance in the air. Believe it or not, no one replied to any of my calls except once or twice said stand by. Had to go about 70 miles to get outside of approach sector and got clearance from Center. No Wx issues in Denver area, just busy I guess. I recommend a traditional IFR departure if Wx dictates.

One time flying into centennial, My vector and altitude was about to put me in the bravo. To be safe, I asked for confirmation that I was cleared into the bravo. Got a stiff and unpleasant reply that I was on an IFR plan and didn't need a clearance. My only exposure to a Bravo is Chicago / Dallas and EVERY time I am routed into it, including IFR flights, I get a "cleared into the Bravo" statement. I am unsure if the controller was correct or not, but know the approach guys in general are pretty serious about it and what I remember from my studies is that entry into a bravo requires an explicit clearance to do so. Maybe someone can school me if I am wrong on that, as it would make sense that if I am following ATC instructions, I should not be held to blame, but some of the regs are not clear and put it ALL on the pilot.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeremy and Larry. I figured filing for airways to the DVV VOR would make sense - and looking at the one ForeFlight route that is what is shows. I’ve also got advice from a United pilot that I should expect vectors north then west once I get close.

I’ll just add another fuel stop along the way to have gas in case I get the “let’s take you on a tour” vectors from ADC.

Carl

One time flying into centennial, My vector and altitude was about to put me in the bravo. To be safe, I asked for confirmation that I was cleared into the bravo. Got a stiff and unpleasant reply that I was on an IFR plan and didn't need a clearance. My only exposure to a Bravo is Chicago / Dallas and EVERY time I am routed into it, including IFR flights, I get a "cleared into the Bravo" statement. I am unsure if the controller was correct or not, but know the approach guys in general are pretty serious about it and what I remember from my studies is that entry into a bravo requires an explicit clearance to do so. Maybe someone can school me if I am wrong on that, as it would make sense that if I am following ATC instructions, I should not be held to blame, but some of the regs are not clear and put it ALL on the pilot.

You never need clearance into Bravo if you are on an active IFR flight. That’s VFR only. If you don’t get one then you’ll have a nice conversation on the phone afterwards explaining it.

You never need clearance into Bravo if you are on an active IFR flight. That’s VFR only. If you don’t get one then you’ll have a nice conversation on the phone afterwards explaining it.

Thanks for the clarification

Youve git a 90% chance.

Thanks,
Carl

Most likely it will be VFR so if it is VFR just cancel and fly under the class B and save the trouble. Most likely they will never let you fly to DVV, or DEN, or FQF. If you have to file IFR that last 40 miles just fly lowest altitude and route well north or south of KDEN. If you ask to fly right through the departure or arrival corridors you can expect problems.

Back