What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight from West Coast/Victoria/Oregon to Newfoundland

Jaknjoan

Well Known Member
The plans for this September 2014 flight have suddenly changed.

It was my understanding that it was 2 guys and 2 airplanes. It's been more than one month that this flight has been talked about between me and the other party, but I wasn't told the rest of the story. Today I got the rest of the story which requires that I pull out of the plan.

Thank you Paul, Gil and Rick for your information, including the invitation to to stay in Stanley, NS. I'm sorry I won't be making this flight.

Jake Thiessen

Last edited:
Hi Jake,

If you want to drop into Stanley NS, we have a place you can spend the night. We have fuel as well, although I won't say it's cheap. Our annual fly-in is on the Labor Day weekend if that's of any interest. I'll surrender to Vlad and company as to how they were treated when they stopped in. :)

The weather that time of year is like typical NS weather. If you don't like what you see wait an hour and it will change.

Cheers,

Last edited:
First suggestion for your travelling companion: Leave half a day earlier and fly down to meet you in Independence before heading east. The savings in gas prices in the US alone will pay for the extra day off work and the extra gas getting to Independence. And it's a lot more fun flying with other airplanes on a long trip.

US Route vs Canadian route

Hi Rob,

We've met, most recently in Bryan Carr's hangar looking at his rocketized RV-4.

My suggestion to my travelling partner from YYJ was to both take the US route as far as possible. Victoria John wants to fulfill his dream of flying across Canada at least one way. I don't feel that need since US-side prices today would average less than $5.50/ US gallon.

JT

Hi Jake,

If you want to drop into Stanley NS, we have a place you can spend the night. We have fuel as well, although I won't say it's cheap. Our annual fly-in is on the Labor Day weekend if that's of any interest. I'll surrender to Vlad and company as to how they were treated when they stopped in. :)

Cheers,

Thanks Paul, for that offer. I surely would take you up on your offer and my Canadian partner I'm sure wouldn't object to the offer either. It would be fun to meet another tail or tale draggin' Canadian. As time gets closer and our plans are more solidified I'll let you know.

I couldn't find Stanley on my Rand McNally but I presume it's northwest of Halifax. You're on the 45th latitude and Independence, OR is also near the 45th latitude.

Have you flown from Cape Breton to NL with your -8?

Jake

Jake,

Stanley is NW of Halifax. The identifier is CCW4 for when you're looking at a chart. As one of the "company" that Paul mentioned, I'd highly recommend booking a bed at the Stanley Hilton. The accommodations are not fancy but the welcome you'll receive is heartfelt and worth the trip, plus the place is just plain a pilots dream - pilots, planes, hangers, a "control tower", a kitchen and lots of food and drink. No one ever got tired of flying talk. And Paul's description of the fuel is accurate - but only by US standards. By Canadian standards it was a good deal...and remarkably they even took my out of country check and never checked my ID.

Info

Fire me an email and I would be happy to give you some suggestions. I have been fortunate to cross north America on the US side and the Canadian side coast to coast. Need to know a few more parameters (how long a leg etc, must it all be Canadian air etc) and happy to give some suggestions. If you don't have an ipad with foreflight, you should spend the money. The winds, tafs and metars as well as 100LL prices, radar wx overlay etc all on a moving map gps you can plan with in your living room or hotel and use on your dash is well worth the $500 or so cost. Cant imagine long trips without it anymore.

Happy to chat, drop me an email and will help if I can.

Have you flown from Cape Breton to NL with your -8?

Jake

Jake,

Not in my 8, but lots of times on commercial flights. I'm not a big fan of flying over open water, makes my engine sound funny. :eek:

Let us know if your plans work out for a visit. We'll make sure we're around.

Thanks Paul

I just posted a notice of my change of plans. I won't be making the flight since there was something I wasn't told about. I thought it was 2 planes and 2 guys. That's not the way the other party was thinking.

I'm personally sad that I won't be making the flight, and get to meet you Paul and the others that responded.

Jake Thiessen

Why let someone else's plans change yours and steal your fun. The only difference is just you and your plane minus the other plane. I have made the trip across from the Pacific to the east coast numerous times and mostly across the USA. It is shorter and fuel is less and more airports. Each time is different and each time has been very rewarding with the people I have met and the scenery.
Take the trip and enjoy it.

I remember now Jake, good to see you online. Sorry to hear the trip won't go as planned... That's too bad. I second Norm's recommendation to go on your own though. :)

No worries Jake, it's an open invitation.

If things change and you happen to hook up with someone else or decide to go it alone, just let us know.

Back