What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixed pitch vs constant speed - cruise only - non turbo engine

filiperosa

Well Known Member
Hello,
I want to know if in a atmospheric engine there is any advantage of a constant speed prop over a fixed pitched for cruise. I am not worried with take off and landing, only about fuel economy at best range speed, not top speed.

If at a different altitude (density) or very different gross weight i will find and advantage in economy on a long range cruise.

My intention is to fly very long distance flights where altitude can change and weight over time. Having a fixed pitch i am able to save in weight/complexity/maintenance. However what is the advantage of having a constant speed for this situation?

Looking for.opinions,

Thanks,

Filipe

mmmh, that sweet smell of popcorn 🍿 but I digress ;)

Simple response: the FP will be as good as a CSP. For a given speed only...
As we all know, best range speed which is roughly Vmd, will decrease as weight decreases, so your FP will at best be efficient at the RPM for that given speed.

As to the question of CSP over FP for best range... the Spirit of St. Louis sported only a ground adjustable prop, but had pretty big tanks :)

IMG_6461.jpeg

I fly a lot of RV's with various engines and props.

The constant speed wins on all fronts, other than purchase price. The best bang for buck is the Hartzell two blade sold by Vans.

Thanks a lot for the heads up of weight vs best airspeed. Less weight would also allow me to climb more but i guess in this case i keep ias

one additional note...
FWIW, famed RV-4 Earthrounder Jon Johanson, who probably knows some about LRC, initially had a fixed 2 bladed metal Sensenich which was later changed to a MT 3 bladed CSP.

If ones is trying for the top 1% of performance, then of course, CS is the way to go. For me, I went with a fixed pitch prop for my long range cruiser because i felt the performance difference wasnt worth the expense. It seems on paper, the additional time in flight was only 10’s of minutes.
Now if I was trying to get into small fields or mountain airports, then thats a different mission so a CS would be on my plane.
Yesterday, I was comparing my top speed to Vans and was 8 mph slower, but I am fixed and Vans numbers were with CS. Just one data point.

It is interesting to note, there is a data set out there showing speed with different pitch settings on a fixed pitch prop. The cruise speed difference was only 1 mph with pitch deviation of +/- 1 “. . The difference appeared to be only the engine rpm that it occurred at.

I fly a lot of RV's with various engines and props.

The constant speed wins on all fronts, other than purchase price. The best bang for buck is the Hartzell two blade sold by Vans.
Fully agree.

My first RV (RV-8A) started off life with a FP prop. It was “adequate” for take off but at all altitudes I was RPM limited on the engine. I replaced it at 300 hours with the very nice Hartzell two blade BA prop. The first takeoff with the new prop justified the investment.

Just as all FP props are not equal, the same goes for CS props. Like the OP I too strive for best fuel efficency at a good cruise speed (~170kts or so). Over several long trips I took data at different altitudes and engine RPM. The data lead to some guidelines:
- Cruise at 9000’ or above
- Prop RPM ~2480
- ~20 degrees LOP (I may run at Peak EGT at altitude to keep CHTs above 300 degrees per Mike Bush’s discussion on exhaust valve sticking)

I always assumed a lower RPM (within reason) would be better but it seems the BA prop efficiency curve is not linear (nor should we expect it to be on any prop).

Carl

the CS prop wins the “all around” performance metric but that is not what the OP is asking. The OP is looking for a very specific operating condition and that’s where a properly optimized fixed blade is going to be “better” than a CS blade. Understand that this is a theoretical condition and will require a high degree of luck or optimization to achieve the best airfoil, AoA, and twist. also understand that the optimized FP will lose its performance edge as soon as the altitude, RPM or speed changes. This is where the ability for the CS prop to change AoA (blade angle) shines. Though no substitute for a complete airfoil change in flight, the relatively crude shift in AoA is “good enough” to overcome a lot of sins.

But in the theoretical world of one speed, altitude and RPM, the “optimized” FP will deliver better efficiency than a CS.

The only data point I have is my Piper Cherokee 235 which was available with either. According to the 'book', the fixed pitch (mine) is 2mph faster than the constant speed. The constant speed has a 2,000ft higher service ceiling, and takes off a couple of hundred feet faster. I don't need the service ceiling or the takeoff distance, so I'm happy to have less maintenance on my fixed pitch version.
But that's for what is basically an airframe originally designed for 140hp, now with 235. It can use a cruise prop with very little impact on takeoff performance. Other airframes will have different results.

A fixed-pitch prop will be just as good as a constant-speed prop... at one speed. At other speeds, it will be worse.

A "cruise prop" (fixed-pitch prop optimized for cruise speed) will give you about the same fuel burn and cruise speed as a constant-speed prop (maybe even a little better), all other things being equal. But it will not generate as much thrust at slow speeds, during takeoff and climb, so you will need more runway to get off the ground and your climb rate will be slower.

(I know one guy with an airplane like this. The incidence angle of his blades is so aggressively coarse that I bet some of the blade area is stalled during takeoff and climb-out. But there are plenty of long runways in his area and the mountains are really far away, so he's fine, and his cruise performance is great).

Alternately, a "climb prop" (a fixed-pitch prop optimized for slow speeds) will give you about the same takeoff and climb performance as a constant-speed prop (maybe even a little better), all other things being equal. But it will not generate as much thrust at cruise speed, so your fuel burn - and probably your cruise speed - will suffer.

Remember that the pitch of the propeller blades is analogous to the gear in your car or bicycle. To mix metaphors, imagine screwing a screw into a hole. A screw with a fine pitch (small threads close together) will go into its hole by only a small distance with each turn. This is analogous to a low gear (lots of revs for each bit of forward progress) or to a climb prop (blades angled pretty much perpendicular to the airflow; See inboard propeller on A400M pic below). Alternately, a screw with a coarse pitch (big threads far apart, like a wood screw) will go into its hole by a greater distance with each turn. This is like a high gear (few revs but lots of forward motion), or a prop set for cruise (blades pitched almost parallel to the airflow; See outboard propeller on A400M pic below).

So yes, a bike or car with one gear CAN cruise as efficiently as one with many gears, if that single gear is a high gear... but at slow speeds or when going uphill, it will not work very well.

(Yes, a fixed-pitch prop will be lighter... but that difference will probably not be as substantial as the poor climb performance of a prop optimized for cruise. Trying to go uphill on a bike at a high gear is hard, and doesn't get much easier if you drop a couple of pounds).

image-asset.jpeg

Last edited:
the CS prop wins the “all around” performance metric but that is not what the OP is asking. The OP is looking for a very specific operating condition and that’s where a properly optimized fixed blade is going to be “better” than a CS blade. Understand that this is a theoretical condition and will require a high degree of luck or optimization to achieve the best airfoil, AoA, and twist. also understand that the optimized FP will lose its performance edge as soon as the altitude, RPM or speed changes. This is where the ability for the CS prop to change AoA (blade angle) shines. Though no substitute for a complete airfoil change in flight, the relatively crude shift in AoA is “good enough” to overcome a lot of sins.

But in the theoretical world of one speed, altitude and RPM, the “optimized” FP will deliver better efficiency than a CS.
Only If you assume the CS blade is not optimized for that same condition; if they're both optimized to the same degree, for the same condition then they will be the same.

Most flights include a takeoff, a climb, a cruise, a descent, an approach and a landing. A prop optimized for only one of those is not an optimal propeller, is it?

Try to find the proper prop for the whole flight.

Dave

Thanks all for the answers. Back to my question is i am just interested in long range. Also the ground variable pitch propeller is 1/3 the weight and the hub is also much smaller that will allow a better flow.

I know that for a single pitch the ground pitch propeller will be more efficient than a constant speed. My initial question is if we take in account only long range cruise. How much a fixed pitch propeller will get out of his sweet point according with weight variation (fuel burn) and altitude/density. This is what I really want to focus.

Thanks,
Filipe

Last edited:
How much a fixed pitch propeller will get out of his sweet point according with weight variation (fuel burn) and altitude/density
told you about that popcorn, this is VAF after all :ROFLMAO:

Now back to your original question... you state airplane weight and density altitude. But missing in the equation, and most important factor is time. Not only will this severely affect the weight as fuel (and eventually oil) will be disposed of, but DA will vary too as different flight conditions will be encountered along the route, or the altitude changed. Are your longest legs 5 or 15 hours?

As you can see, it quickly becomes challenging to precisely determine the losses of a FP vs a CSP flying at LRC...
Things have evolved in say the last 20 years, and the availability of CSP of a much lighter gage make the problem and decision even more arduous.

Another question is about flying LRC... are you stuck with that speed? Have you considered, or can you plan with a slightly higher speed such as Carson's speed?

Whatever you choose/decide there will be unknowns in the equation, so don't forget reserves.

Only If you assume the CS blade is not optimized for that same condition; if they're both optimized to the same degree, for the same condition then they will be the same.
Debatable. Most CS mechanical architecture results in sub optimal blade efficiency - particularly that baseball bat shaped root area that comprises a bunch of blade real estate.

Hello,
I want to know if in a atmospheric engine there is any advantage of a constant speed prop over a fixed pitched for cruise. I am not worried with take off and landing, only about fuel economy at best range speed, not top speed.

If at a different altitude (density) or very different gross weight i will find and advantage in economy on a long range cruise.

My intention is to fly very long distance flights where altitude can change and weight over time. Having a fixed pitch i am able to save in weight/complexity/maintenance. However what is the advantage of having a constant speed for this situation?

Looking for.opinions,

Thanks,

Filipe
I take your question to mean you will often be flying at lower power settings (well under 75%). The question is... will you be flying high enough so that you will be flying a wide open throttle (WOT), or close to it on a fixed pitch prop? Or will you be flying lower, and will need to significantly throttle back to fly the desired speed on a FP prop?

Why this matters:
A gasoline engine running at part throttle has 'pumping losses' due to the restriction of the throttle. One reason why diesel engines are more efficient is because they are basically WOT all the time (amount of fuel controls power). [Yes, I know there are lots of other things which make a diesel efficient, which aren't germane to this question :) ]

So, if you are flying at 13000' at around 60% power I'd expect similar performance, because the throttle on the FP prop setup will be WOT (or close). [Except for the weight difference noted above]
OTOH, if you are flying at 5000' at around 50% power, you could get more efficiency out of the CS prop by going to a really coarse pitch, and near WOT. Can't really do that with a FP prop... UNLESS...

If you run Lean of Peak. Then you can control power with how much fuel you give it (varying HOW lean), and leave the throttle wide open, even on the FP setup.

If we assume you run LOP then I think the question boils down to prop efficiency at the chosen speed / rpm. I would talk to Catto and explain what you are looking for.

If the fixed pitch is optimized for a given cruise speed, a fixed pitch such as the Catto or Performance prop will outperform the Hartzell. If you are wiling to run the fixed pitch as high as 2700-2800 for maximum cruise you can ALMOST have the best of takeoff, climb and cruise performance at a much lower cost than a Hartzell.
Best to get a current price on a Hartzell before making any claims about price comparison.

Debatable. Most CS mechanical architecture results in sub optimal blade efficiency - particularly that baseball bat shaped root area that comprises a bunch of blade real estate.
Sure, but you're imposing a constraint (really, a set of them) vs theory (which is what I thought we were talking about), and that's why I said "to the same degree". That constant speed root area isn't required to be shaped that way, but it's subject to constraints that make that aerodynamically sub-optimal shape the best solution. I think we had different sets of constraints in mind for this discussion.

Sure, but you're imposing a constraint...
My "theoretical" part of this discussion was with propellers one can actually buy or make today. One can optimize a FP prop and it will perform about as good as humanly possible - the IF-1 and Biplane guys at Reno have this down to near supernatural levels. But there is not much "better" you can do with a CS blade and still keep it mechanically stable.

But to your point, yes, if one could affix the same blades to a CS or fixed hub, at some point they would be the same performance.

Thank you all for the answers! It is getting very informative.
One of the flights I want to do with my plane is the longest distance possible. And for only that flight I don't mind to have a single propeller. And for that specific flight the objective is flying between long range and Carson speed.
I want to make the most miles I can on a single tank. After that flight I can change propeller to enjoy the plane but one of my aims is making that specific flight.

Let's consider the following scenario. You fly at one speed (near long range). After a few hours you are like 400Lbs higher. If you keep the same speed you are way lighter so you would need to reduce power. Reducing power you will drop propeller rpm. A csp will have an advantage on this situation?

As Dan wrote ideal long range speeds drops with drop in weight but one way that js possible to keep speed all time is start flying at long range and keeping the speed with the drop of the weigh the speed would stay between long range and Carson speed so thst would be acceptable.

Thanks,.Filipe

Last edited:
Jack Norris wrote a book on propellers. You need to read a copy of it.

IMHO if the Constant Speed prop was not superior, it would not cost more. The biggest performance gain I had with my RV for the money spent was the constant speed prop.

Ok, more stuff to think about, you asked for it ;)

Vmd (minimum drag) equals more or less Vy, or best glide speed... which in turn equals, again more or less, best range speed. For some insight read this article from Aviation Safety which has some good graphs and explanations: Less Power for More Aircraft Range

You haven't mentioned what RV you're talking about, but differences between the sports RVs (-4, -6, -7, -8, -14) are not that big, so I'll take my baby as an example, with a VY at MTOM of 85KIAS. I did some tests at 12.5Kft, at this speed this morning, and using 11.3/1900 saw the following numbers: 13.5l/h, 28% power, KTAS101, KIAS 85, with an OAT of -16°C. These numbers are probably only more or less accurate since they only reflect the accuracy of the sensors.

Carson speed... is a speed which I fly at most of times when loitering over Europe: Vy 85KIAS X 1.316 = 112KIAS. Now as you can see, the difference between say Carson speed and best range speed is quite big (27 knots), and this is not taking into account a reduction according fuel burn...
Or oil burn... which is yet another consideration on loooooong flights.

The above is aerodynamic efficiency on its own. As pointed by some above, the engine itself will be most efficient with the throttle wide open, bar some exceptions on carbed engines. So, the solution would then be to climb as high as required for the KIAS to come down to your chosen speed, either Carson, or below. Sucking O2...
Not sure where you're long range flying is supposed to take place, but over Europe, above 18Kft in the US, above FL55 over the NAT, etc, etc, you'll be encountering regulated airspace, and this can also factor in your decision as to which altitude you wanna fly.

Now looking at people having done some long range flying... the consensus seems to be that all of them used some form of auxiliary tank(s), and all of them flew faster than best range, or even Carson speeds. Crossing the NAT, I chose to fly at 66% at FL55 or higher both ways since I had done some previous testing and found it a good compromise for speed vs time spent over icy waters...

We could now delve in the hat and pull real data to refine your propeller needs :cool:

Hello Dan,
Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I know all that speeds. I don´t have an RV. I started to build a Long Ez 7 years ago and the prop is for this plane. I know this forum is almost all about RVs but still a great community to discuss, in fact the best experimental aviation community that I am aware. I also fly an RV10 (was the test pilot and the current pilot) and a RV7 (hope to make another NAT this year on it to Oshkosh, the engine is in overhaul and will fit two electrical ignitions).

The designer, Burt Rutan was explicit against CSP on the LongEz mainly because the dirty flow after the fuselage and weight and balance. Anyway I would use a CSP if would be a serious advantage over one speed.

As you told Carson speed is 32% over best range. This is why it is possible to start in a speed with fully weght and keep that speed and that envelope would stay between the two speeds (L/D and Carson) of the landing weight.

I did some NAT crossings, two last year, one of them in a Lancair O235. Had to fly 5000 between Narsarsuaq and Goose Bay because no HF equiped and did it with low power setting all the way. Also the leg from Goose Bay to Oshawa near Toronto was 940NM and did it at athe same low power setting 2350 rpm (propeller low limit) and 17MP burning 20lph because fuel was more important than time.

Back to the topic. What I would know really is about advantages of a CSP if you keep the same IAS but you are turning your engine lower due to lower weight.

Thanks,
Filipe

advantages of a CSP if you keep the same IAS but you are turning your engine lower due to lower weight
not intending to take too much bandwidth here...

Mike Busch has written some good stuff and arguments for oversquare operation, which you might already have read. There's also a thread here, see Oversquare is Good

PS
out of RVs, but we had 3 VEZEs and one LGEZ here, runway length 590m, and all are/were CS equipped.
Salute to your experience :cool:

Vmd (minimum drag) equals more or less Vy, or best glide speed... which in turn equals, again more or less, best range speed.
That's not quite true.

The first part is true: best-glide, minimum-drag, best-climb, max L/D, max-endurance speed... are all pretty close. But the max-range speed will be substantially faster than that. Near the top of this thread, you posted the graph that shows why. The first bunch of speeds (min drag, best climb, best glide...) are the lowest point of the graph. But the max-range speed is from the point of the graph with the shallowest tangent that goes through the origin. Right?

But the max-range speed will be substantially faster than that
Yes, it is not quite true as actually the best range speed will be achieved when induced drag is the same as parasite drag, resulting in the max L/D ratio.
And that is partly how Carson speed came to be :)

Last edited:
not intending to take too much bandwidth here...

Mike Busch has written some good stuff and arguments for oversquare operation, which you might already have read. There's also a thread here, see Oversquare is Good

PS
out of RVs, but we had 3 VEZEs and one LGEZ here, runway length 590m, and all are/were CS equipped.
Salute to your experience :cool:
from Canard Pusher 10, page 8:
We haven't gotten too many requests for variable pitch/constant speed/adjustable props from our builders which is a tribute to their
good sense and intelligence. However, for those few who have asked about them this is why we are down on them: safety, cost, weight, and
maintenance. First, it is a very definite risk to install a variable pitch prop on a pusher aircraft. The development of a variable pusher
prop for the VariEze could easily run hundreds of thousands of dollars and still be a failure. The cost of a proven variable prop, even if
one were available would be over a thousand dollars each. The lightest controllable prop would weight about 25 pounds which would create a CG
problem requiring ballast, further increasing the weight growth. The maintenance and upkeep required on a variable prop is unbelievable.
Look through the FAA airworthiness directives for propellers, and you'll see what we mean. Even if you have money to burn, a fulltime
mechanic on salary, and are a hairy-chested test pilot type anyway, you won't gain anything with your fancy prop. The added weight will limit
your useful load. Even for gross-weight operation, the VariEze requires a larger airport for landing than for takeoff. Climb is
excellent even with a fixed pitch prop. Thus a variable pitch prop would not increase utility.

Anyway, interesting but my main question was for the cruising speed (assume same airspeed) but different weight, would I have an advantage of having a CSP?

I feel that the discussion is poiting to other aspects (speeds, if i should have a CSP, power, etc) except what I really asked at the beggining. I appreaciate all the comments and not saying that a CSP is not a general better prop, but trying not to diverge much from the initial question.

A have a especific mission and a specific question. Again, appreciate the comments from all,

Filipe

Thank you all for the answers! It is getting very informative.
One of the flights I want to do with my plane is the longest distance possible. And for only that flight I don't mind to have a single propeller. And for that specific flight the objective is flying between long range and Carson speed.
I want to make the most miles I can on a single tank. After that flight I can change propeller to enjoy the plane but one of my aims is making that specific flight.

Let's consider the following scenario. You fly at one speed (near long range). After a few hours you are like 400Lbs higher. If you keep the same speed you are way lighter so you would need to reduce power. Reducing power you will drop propeller rpm. A csp will have an advantage on this situation?

Thanks,.Filipe

Practical experience is out there. You should have a conversation with Burt or Dick Rutan for advise in long distance flight in Long Ez. Dick held a couple records in that airframe, notable the one where he took off in Alaska & landed somewhere near Puerto Rico. He should be the ultimate person to comment on power/endurance management.

Hello Ralph,

I was with both of them and also Mike Melvill in Mojave in October 2019. Great people. In fact I was lucky enough to get my engine mount from Burt!

However would like to hear other opinions. In my opinion and experience there are pro and cons and this is why since the beginning I am trying to compare not the difference between two propellers types in general operation but only in one condition.

Thanks,
Filipe

Hello Ralph,

I was with both of them and also Mike Melvill in Mojave in October 2019. Great people. In fact I was lucky enough to get my engine mount from Burt!

However would like to hear other opinions. In my opinion and experience there are pro and cons and this is why since the beginning I am trying to compare not the difference between two propellers types in general operation but only in one condition.

Thanks,
Filipe
So lets go back to my evaluation of changing the pitch of my fixed pitch prop.
There was a data set from a prop manufacturer with different cruise speeds with different pitches of a FP. they varied the pitch +/- 1 inch. The results were the cruise speed was the same, but the RPM at that speed changed a little. So from that data, I surmised that prop pitch affects cruise RPM more than cruise speed. Therefore, my take is that a CS prop probably wont provide more cruise speed over a similar fixed pitch.

In the end,I think cruise performance is not a reason to consider a FP over CS. Just buy what you can afford and go fly. JMHO

So lets go back to my evaluation of changing the pitch of my fixed pitch prop.
There was a data set from a prop manufacturer with different cruise speeds with different pitches of a FP. they varied the pitch +/- 1 inch. The results were the cruise speed was the same, but the RPM at that speed changed a little. So from that data, I surmised that prop pitch affects cruise RPM more than cruise speed. Therefore, my take is that a CS prop probably wont provide more cruise speed over a similar fixed pitch.

In the end,I think cruise performance is not a reason to consider a FP over CS. Just buy what you can afford and go fly. JMHO
Hello John,
Thank you for the information. I assume you changed the pitch +/- 1 degree. Thanks for the sharing. Looking to hear some more real life values from others,

Filipe

[...]

The designer, Burt Rutan was explicit against CSP on the LongEz mainly because the dirty flow after the fuselage and weight and balance. Anyway I would use a CSP if would be a serious advantage over one speed.

[...]

Back to the topic. What I would know really is about advantages of a CSP if you keep the same IAS but you are turning your engine lower due to lower weight.

Thanks,
Filipe
I spent some time outside of work playing with this because I happen to have a (not flying) LongEZ project, and so happen to have a lot of information at hand for it, and have spent some thing thinking about different powerplant options. So what follows is a personal rather than professional effort; I did this for fun and it turned out pretty long...

First, a minor disagreement: the dirty flow from a pusher is a problem for the propeller, regardless of whether it's a fixed pitch or a constant speed. However, the weight and balance is a serious consideration for the LongEZ, and I wouldn't even think about using a constant speed prop on mine without putting in a much lighter engine. Rutan was against putting CS props (and starters and other "unnecessary" equipment) on EZs, but he put two on the Voyager for which the entire mission was maximizing range. A lot of the larger UAVs use constant speed props as well, even though they spend most of their time at a specific loiter condition. As the aircraft gets bigger, the additional weight of the constant speed prop is a smaller percentage of the total and therefore becomes more palatable. And it's much easier to justify if the weight of the CS system is included in the original design because it won't compromise the finished aircraft as much as adding it as an afterthought.

Second, there are going to be a fair number of assumptions here and this is analytical, rather than based on measured data. So my real answer is my favorite one: it depends. Namely, it depends on how far off condition you end up, and for how long. I played with conditions a little so we could get a sense of how much. This is not an exhaustive analysis, more an quick exploration of some edge cases and is intended to be illustrative rather than exact.

Third, here goes: We've got a LongEZ with an O-235, that performs like the flight manual says it does, and we're going to set up on the condition shown for best range in the manual: 40% Power, 12,500 ft, 127 KTAS. We're going to be at such low powers that we're almost always going to be at partial throttle rather than wide open, and I don't know how much you can drag the RPM around with LOP ops on a carbed engine like this, so I'm going to ignore that. I take my fixed pitch that's set up for 75% cruise and run it at the partial throttle setting for this best range condition, and see how much thrust we make: this with the aircraft parameters lets me calculate the lift and drag in this condition. I'll use the aircraft parameters to further determine both induced and parasitic drag; I'll hold the parasitic drag coefficient constant and vary the induced drag based on the weight and speed.

Now, we want to optimize for this condition; so I'm going to set up my fixed pitch prop to be at the bottom of the specific fuel consumption curve for this particular engine (2200 RPM) with the aero design close to ideal efficiency at this condition. If we could guarantee we'd stay in this condition, we wouldn't want to do this because we'll get lighter over time so we'd want to set it up to minimize the area under the fuel consumption curve over the entire flight and start at a higher RPM. This is where engine details and how much the ignored LOP influences things are really going to matter, the shape (which is not necessarily symmetric) and location of the minimum specific fuel consumption bucket varies with engine model. The bucket I'm using for the 235 is really shallow and therefore more tolerant of RPM excursions than other engines are; it's also not symmetric and this will be illustrated by the scenarios I've set up.

I'm also going to run a similar CS blade, and it will always run at the RPM for minimum specific fuel consumption. I'll calculate the power required for each propeller and that will go into the fuel burn calculation. Across the subject conditions, the operating efficiency of the blades is pretty close.

I'll use 1425 lbf to represent the performance at the beginning of the flight, and 1200 lbf to represent performance near the end of the flight; this is ~37 gal so you've got ~13 gal minus some reserve left to fly. I'm going to vary the speed to keep the aircraft at the same L/D, and then recalculate the drag and therefore thrust required from each prop. So this isn't a constant airspeed, the indicated speed to fly varies with weight.

Scenario 1a: You luck out, and can stay at 12,500 the whole flight. At the beginning, the performance is the same and the fuel burn is the same. At the end, the FP is down to 2020 RPM and the CS fuel burn is 0.07 gal per hour better. So, spread out across the entire flight the CS saves ~0.4 gallons and buys an extra ~9 minutes of endurance and ~15 miles of range. Differences here are insignificant and in practice will depend on details not captured.

Scenario 1b: Same as 1a, but as a check on my assumption that airframe efficiency, and therefore power required, is a more significant factor than prop efficiency deltas, fly a constant indicated airspeed the whole time. This keeps the FP close to the bottom of the bucket the whole time, only reducing by 45 RPM, so the fuel burn difference between the FP and CS is even smaller. But, flying like this requires more power and therefore reduces the range by ~39 nm between the two weights for the FP, and you're burning an extra 0.45 GPH at the end condition.

Scenario 2: The winds up high are awesome, so you climb to 20,000 feet for the flight to take advantage of them. I'm going to change the starting weight to 1375 lbf to swag the fuel for climb, and we're not going to address differences in climb performance and how long each one takes to get there because we're talking about staying at one condition. We've got to turn the FP up to ~2430 RPM to stay on speed, but the CS is still at 2200 RPM. Both are pretty close to WOT here because the engine's out of breath. On average, the CS is burning 0.04 GPH less, so it only saves ~0.3 gal and buys ~6 min of endurance. This could be more significant if the engine fuel curve wasn't as tolerant of higher RPMs. This could also be more significant if you could spend more time here and therefore drift on speed and RPM further, but with the assumed fuel quantity and the fuel to climb, you've got less fuel and time spent in this condition so the differences here are insignificant and in practice will depend on details not captured here.

Scenario 3: The weather is terrible, so you're stuck at 5,000 ft for the whole flight. You've got to drag the FP down to ~1940 RPM to start with and down to ~1800 RPM by the end. The CS saves ~0.16 GPH for this set up, and so saves ~1.9 gallons and buys an additional ~42 minutes of endurance or ~70 miles of range. A small but not an insignificant difference, this is ~5.5% increase in range for this scenario.

Also implicit is the ability to precisely control fuel, imprecise leaning is easily a far larger margin of error than the analytic differences shown here. The difference between scenario 2 and 3 illustrates the asymmetric nature of the 235 fuel burn curve I used: higher RPMs increase the relative fuel burn less than lower RPMs do and so increases in altitude are less problematic than decreases. This could be adjusted to prioritize performance at lower altitudes by biasing the design to higher RPMs to start, at the expense of performance at higher altitudes, and eventually blade efficiency as well; this is, in general, a worse set up and I wouldn't try to do a max range flight on a day where I'm stuck at 5kft. But circumstances could force you there when you weren't planning on it and this is illustrated by the scenario as an extreme; the real impact would be less depending on how long into your flight you were forced lower.

Now, getting back to my original point: it depends. For 2/3 of these specific scenarios and exercises, the CS prop doesn't seem to save much and you'd try not to put yourself in that third one, but it depends on a custom fixed pitch design and getting it set up well for the conditions of the day while the CS prop adapts to any condition. This also depends on the quality of the designs; both the props I've used are well designed and therefore similar; if the quality of the designs was asymmetric so too would be the results. Further, this specific mission is at very low powers, so changes in propeller efficiency are therefore small absolute changes in power and fuel flow; applications and/or missions with more power or engines with less forgiving fuel burn curves would be more influenced by differences in aerodynamic efficiency. Change those factors, and the answer could change as well.

So, in summary, if I wanted to maximize only the range of a LongEZ with a 235 I'd personally stick with a fixed pitch prop and look for gains elsewhere (starting with fairings and cooling drag). However, if I was going to design the next generation of LongEZ with the goal of total performance (TotallyEZ?), I'd lay out the aircraft to accept a constant speed prop and a more powerful engine.

Tparker,
Thanks for your write up. If I hear you correctly, for cruise, the CS benefit is a minor fuel flow decrease (or longer range). This is consistent with other things I read where a change in engine size in my RV9A has only a slight change in cruise speed (see Van' s performance numbers), and a change in prop pitch also only has a slight change in cruise performance. Others have said that the major benefit of a CS prop is the ability to have a really good climb using all the available power, and this seems consistent.

Thanks for that article TParker, a well thought thru analysis of the case.
Learned and confirmed a few things along the way :cool:

Good morning TParker,

Thanks a lot for all the info, it was exactly what I was looking for. I agree with you in a lot of things.

Really appreciate all your time to share the information!!

Filipe

Tparker,
Thanks for your write up. If I hear you correctly, for cruise, the CS benefit is a minor fuel flow decrease (or longer range). This is consistent with other things I read where a change in engine size in my RV9A has only a slight change in cruise speed (see Van' s performance numbers), and a change in prop pitch also only has a slight change in cruise performance. Others have said that the major benefit of a CS prop is the ability to have a really good climb using all the available power, and this seems consistent.
Not exactly; for this specific example the advantage is a minor fuel flow decrease or increased range. Other different specific examples could have different specific advantages/disadvantages. You could, for example, consider the CS ability to run close to the same cruise speed at significantly lower RPMs to be an advantage because then your cruising is quieter and therefore more enjoyable.

The simplest statement about the advantage of the constant speed prop is it allows you to make a choice about how to manage your engine RPM independent of throttle and airspeed. The more advantage you take of that choice when flying, meaning the bigger the difference in throttle and RPM settings between the two prop types, the bigger advantage the constant speed prop will have over a fixed pitch for that scenario.

Back