What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Firewall Bump

rph142

Well Known Member
I’ve been battling high cht’s on my new build so I decided to add the firewall bump. I used .032 aluminum bent around a can of spray paint. Long story short my cht’s dropped 5-10f in cruise and my top speed went from 184ktas to 186ktas. The floor seems smoother too. Success!!
IMG_9793.jpeg

What did you do to finish off the blue tube (breather vent?) on the left hand side of the picture?

What did you do to finish off the blue tube (breather vent?) on the left hand side of the picture?
I curved it in front of the bump and down to the exhaust. I’ll find a more aero way later in testing.

I think I will do something similar on mine. The results are impressive! Thanks for posting.

What model RV is it? I did a similar thing on my RV6. Attached to the firewall with screws because that was easier, working by myself. I think it is riveted to the belly flange. .025 Al in my case. Im sure it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_2093.jpeg
    IMG_2093.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_2096.jpeg
    IMG_2096.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 92
What model RV is it? I did a similar thing on my RV6. Attached to the firewall with screws because that was easier, working by myself. I think it is riveted to the belly flange. .025 Al in my case. Im sure it helps.
It’s an RV-7. I riveted it to the firewall and let the upper section float. It’s sort of pinned in place with an adel clamp that’s holding the breather tube.

Back