What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-311 bulkhead, left and right elevators

So, I just picked up a project that was flying. First thing I need to fix is the aft bulkhead, the F-311, and reskin the elevators. I was thinking about going one gauge thicker on the bulkhead, anyone have experience fabricating one? Ill have to call Vans on monday, but I doubt they have that bulkhead or the skins. My plane is to use them as templates, and make my own. Anyone have some layin around?

If you are replacing the 311 bulkhead use the old one for a pattern. Trace it out onto 3/4 in. MFD board, make two, use one as a form, bevel the edges. Sandwich your material between the boards using the tooling holes and carefully bend around the form. Drawing #19 shows how to do cutouts. The fuselage skin that fits the bulkhead is .040 so a good fit is important. This area of the plane takes allot of abuse so take your time to get a snug fit, ordering a new one from VANS may or may not get you the snug fit you are looking for. I wouldn't go to a heavier guage material it would be more difficult to form with no real gain.
My 2 cents worth.
Chris

If you are replacing the 311 bulkhead use the old one for a pattern. Trace it out onto 3/4 in. MFD board, make two, use one as a form, bevel the edges. Sandwich your material between the boards using the tooling holes and carefully bend around the form. Drawing #19 shows how to do cutouts. The fuselage skin that fits the bulkhead is .040 so a good fit is important. This area of the plane takes allot of abuse so take your time to get a snug fit, ordering a new one from VANS may or may not get you the snug fit you are looking for. I wouldn't go to a heavier guage material it would be more difficult to form with no real gain.
My 2 cents worth.
Chris

Thanks,

I had already ordered one from Vans. I have seen builders make a mirror image bulkhead and have them back to back. I might try that. Otherwise, Ill just replace it and move one.

I doubled up on them too. It required adjusting the bend angle of the flanges and some shimming. Additionally, I had to jiggle the tailwheel mount to obtain room to fit it.

I also did this for the next one forward. You can see this on my VAF blog, post #264.

Note that the kit includes the RV-4 tailwheel mount instead of the RV-3 one. That needs some trimming or other modification.

Dave

Back