What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EZ-3

prkaye

Well Known Member
I'm about 75% of the way through my IFR training. Had a long challenging training flight today that made me think i really should invest in an altitude hold device (i can't afford to put in a full autopilot and am not motivated to do that).
ACS shows this device, the trio EZ -3:
https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/avpages/ez3altitude.php
ALthough they have no stock in the US or Canada. Anybody know of any other suppliers?
Or is the there another simple push-button altitude hold option i should look at? Cost is a factor.
Anybody have an older system they want to sell?
How complex/long is the installation?

Last edited:
Why not trim your aircraft and avoid the hassle of installing a pitch hold system? Ik it seems counterintuitive but trimming out your aircraft before hitting the AP is what I do every time. I’ve flown Cessnas in hard IFR with no AP many times, lots of work load but it’s doable. Don’t get discouraged and keep working towards your goal. It’s absolutely possible to fly without AP as long as you respect your limits.

I bring this up because much of the work required to put in a full AP will be required to put in this system with a servo in the empennage and all the wiring the comes with it. If you’re going through all that trouble you should put in the real thing anyways.

Last edited:
I’ve never used or seen the EZ-3 in an RV so not a real answer to your original question.

I have installed several Trutrak autopilots and found them to be relatively easy to install. For roughly half the price of a new EZ-3 you could buy a good used trutrak that will fly coupled GPS approaches.

I just got my IFR rating in March and found the AP to be a difference maker in the pace of my progression. If you decide to go this route, I’d be happy to help you with any install or ops questions.

To add to the “easy” comment on my last post, Dynon and Trutrak have mounting brackets that fit trutrak servos and I’m pretty sure Trutrak has wiring harnesses too. The wing servo mounts to existing holes where the aileron bell crank is mounted. The wiring is straight forward with most the wires going directly from the control unit to the servos. At most, three wires to run from your GPS to the APs control unit. Then power and ground wires for the AP and servos and that’s about it.

Phil,

Put out a WTB for a TruTrak Vizion 385 or equivalent. I sold mine full 2-axis 385 a few years ago for $1600 with servos. That would make an excellent, capable, affordable 2-axis AP for your RV and IFR adventures. It sure did treat me well!

The Spruce site you pointed to shows $2.7 K for the EZ.
1. The EZ has been around for a long time. That may be why there’s no stock - it’s been superseded.
2. The full up (2 axis) Trio Pro is a great autopilot (a bit over $3K). I have flown both the TruTrak and Trio, and imho the Trio is superior in every way but one - panel space. The Trio requires a 3 1/8” hole, or rack mount. The larger size makes it easier to use. If your -9 has electric trim make sure you get the auto-trim version (not sure if it’s included now, for free, or if it’s a little more money). But it’s worth it.
3. You didn’t say what’s in your current panel. Garmin, Dynon, GRT EFIS units all have the capability to drive AP servos, about $1K per servo. But for actual IMC, remember that a stand-alone AP works when an EFIS fails, while the ‘built in’ autopilots fail if the efis fails. It’s your responsibility to decide how much redundancy you should have. (Note the cost difference between built in and stand alone AP’s is about $1.3K - about the cost of a mini EFIS. So there are many ways to attack the back-up problem).
4. Most pilots would opt for a roll servo over a pitch servo, if they could only have one. I wonder if you have electric pitch trim and what you need is a trim speed controller, to let you fine-tune pitch trim?
5. As a cfii, I can say to remember that you must be able to fly in IMC without the autopilot. The AP just lets you feel less stressed out after a few hours. It’s not a substitute for actually flying the airplane. Keep at it, you’ll get the hang of it.
Edit. I just looked, the Trio includes autotrim for no extra money.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
My intent when i started my IFR trg was to complete the training without having an autopilot, for the challenge and to build my confidence and skill.
Today was a big step forward. I did two x-country flights with several approaches and a total of 4.5 hrs in real IMC, including some pretty active TCU on the way back. The CFI said my approaches were near perfect and i'm flying the airplane very well and that i'm basically ready to pass my "ride" (IFR flight test). A few more hours to tightening everything up and i'll be going for my ride next month :)
Today proved to myself that i can do this, even in significant IMC, without an autopilot, which is very rewarding :)

Ifr

It is definitely possible, in fact, some of us had to do the training and ride with paper charts and plates…

That said, once you have the rating, the autopilot allows you to manage the flight and reduce the likelihood of task saturation…sometimes…

some of us had to do the training and ride with paper charts and plates…
Paper?? oh, i think i remember back to my PPL days in the 1990's... its some kind of thin flat stuff they make from trees? :)

It is definitely possible, in fact, some of us had to do the training and ride with paper charts and plates…

….and some with the horrible government approach plates of the early-mid 1980s. Going to the big airport serving Cincinnati, Ohio? You wouldn’t find it under ‘C’, because it was under ‘G’ (Greater Cincinnati Airport). But you wouldn’t find it at all in the Ohio book, it was in the Ky book, because the airport was across the river!

But seriously, there is some advantage to taking the test with no autopilot. Here in the US the examiner is now required to evaluate AP use, if one is installed. I had a very good instrument student (correction: I just recently learned that the correct faa-sanctioned word is now ‘learner’) in a -10 who did everything on the flight test well, except, the very last task tested, an autopilot coupled approach. The AP flew the plane right thru the final approach course, so he was required to come back a week later and repeat that one thing. I went up with him the very next day, he did the same AP coupled approach, no problem. It seems very likely that on the test he missed one button in the button pushing sequence. So don’t fool yourself: modern autopilots have great capabilities, but with that comes a certain degree of operational complexity that needs to be mastered.

I just looked at the Canadian IFR flight test guide and it has the same thing. If there is an autopilot or any automation installed the candidate must demonstrate proficient use of that equipment. My IFR flight test is now scheduled for August 17th. The CFI is confident I will do very well but I am a nervous wreck LOL we'll see

I just looked at the Canadian IFR flight test guide and it has the same thing. If there is an autopilot or any automation installed the candidate must demonstrate proficient use of that equipment. My IFR flight test is now scheduled for August 17th. The CFI is confident I will do very well but I am a nervous wreck LOL we'll see

Try to relax a bit. Remember the goal here is not to pass the test no matter what. The goal is to have a professional evaluation that agrees with your cfi. If the answer is ‘not there yet’, get more training. It’s that simple.
Suggestion: all examiners are different, but imho most like you to talk out loud, so they know what you’re thinking. e.g., ‘leveling off at the MDA. Missed approach point is a half mile from here. Miss is immediate climbing right turn heading 180 to 3000’ etc. (Most examiners will tell you ‘runway in sight’ or they will say nothing, in which case you are expected to miss with no further prompting. But saying ‘starting the miss’ out loud may remind them to say ‘runway in sight’!)
I’d wish you Good luck - but it’s not a matter of luck.

Going to the big airport serving Cincinnati, Ohio? You wouldn’t find it under ‘C’, because it was under ‘G’ (Greater Cincinnati Airport). But you wouldn’t find it at all in the Ohio book, it was in the Ky book, because the airport was across the river!

Reminds me of The Dalles Municipal Airport/Columbia Gorge Regional Airport (KDLS). It is an Oregon airport even though it is located in Dallesport, Washington and sits across the Columbia River north of the Oregon city of The Dalles.

Back