What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eyeball feedthrough for wiring

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
In working on the firewall forward, I hooked up a power supply to the main battery feed and the Master solenoid immediately picked up! I shut things down and started checking to see what happened. I knew the Master had to be grounded to pick-up so I checked and sure enough, the wire was grounded. After tracing back to the firewall, I found the insulation split at the eyeball feedthrough. It's not a big deal to run a new wire but I wonder if I am doing something wrong. How do you make sure the feedthrough is tight enough but not too tight? Do you run the wires through some other shield? This is the type I am using. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Paul
EFAA2.jpg

In working on the firewall forward, I hooked up a power supply to the main battery feed and the Master solenoid immediately picked up! I shut things down and started checking to see what happened. I knew the Master had to be grounded to pick-up so I checked and sure enough, the wire was grounded. After tracing back to the firewall, I found the insulation split at the eyeball feedthrough. It's not a big deal to run a new wire but I wonder if I am doing something wrong. How do you make sure the feedthrough is tight enough but not too tight? Do you run the wires through some other shield? This is the type I am using. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.
Paul
View attachment 61559
I think you need a different type of pass through for electrical wiring. Those eyeball fittings are intended for supporting control cables through the firewall. A better option would be as per post #2, or the more traditional split shield with a non-metal grommet to protect the wire, plus fireproof sealant.

Use EMT fittings instead of the Eyeball. Use firesleeve and high-temp epoxy to seal it up when done…and leave the set screw off.

IMG_6229.jpeg

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll change out those eyeball feed-throughs and protect the wire better.
Thanks again,

Paul

And a follow-up question. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the firewall wiring feed-through (FF-00001)? The Vans site shows a 1 inch O.D. but I'm trying to figure out if I have enough room for the part sticking forward.
Thanks,
Paul

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll change out those eyeball feed-throughs and protect the wire better.
Thanks again,

Paul

And a follow-up question. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the firewall wiring feed-through (FF-00001)? The Vans site shows a 1 inch O.D. but I'm trying to figure out if I have enough room for the part sticking forward.
Thanks,
Paul

That drawing on Van's website looks to be to scale. So about 2/3 of an inch. You'll still need firesleve,etc., so I second Brian's EMT fitting for a pass through.
I suggest using a very thin washer from the same electrical aisle for the teeth on the locknut to bite into. You can install the fitting facing either direction.
Put a layer or two of heatshrink on the wire(s), and then wrap with firesleeve (you may have to slice it lengthwise). Finish with Fire Barrier.

You can also use a short length of thinwall steel tubing secured with two pushnuts for smaller wire(s). Shown below before Fire Barrier application.

IMG_20140711_171845.jpg

Once again, this forum to the rescue. Thanks for the information and ideas Koupster. Back to the aviation factory for me!

Paul

Once again, this forum to the rescue. Thanks for the information and ideas Koupster. Back to the aviation factory for me!

Paul
Paul,
That heatshrink over the firesleeve is just to cover the sharp ends of safety wire securing the heatshrink (preventing an injury during maintenance down the road).
I subsequently sealed the heatshrink to pushnut gap and the other end of the firesleeve with Fire Barrier. The extended firesleeve acts as a strain relief for those coax cables.

This is what I did for 2awg battery cable and 6awg main buss wire.

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4314.jpeg
    IMG_4314.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 39
Back