What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine portal email received

squeakersc063

Well Known Member
I got my engine reorder portal email tonight. The price gap now between what I have to pay for the Thunderbolt and what a non TB costs exceeds the cost of my deposit. I'm thinking I could reject, risk losing the deposit, order a non TB and still take delivery before the TB timeline with less overall cost.

Double check the numbers the smartexchange site is presenting you with your original order. The smartexchange site says my original order amount is almost $4k higher than actual original order. The order document download, on Van's letterhead, from the smartexchange site has my information correct. Seems like the amount for my order mixed up with someone else's.

Edit - numbers are correct after all. Total presented for reorder includes sales tax.

Last edited:
Note that for me the total reported for the orignal order was the total price including sales tax. The increase was calculated including sales tax. As much as I hate paying the government more money. All correct.

I just received my engine order email this evening. Like Indytank, the attached paperwork showing the "original" pricing was somewhat higher than the paperwork provided 23 months ago when I paid my original deposit. Gonna have to chase this down. Also, there is no mention of proposed delivery dates.

Does anyone know if you can pick up your engine at Williamsport yourself to avoid shipping and sales tax charges?

@Doug - I now realize they included the tax in the 12% calculation on the original order. The total presented matches the Van's order PDF if you add everything up. It turns out to be correct, at least in my case.

Useless if they won’t provide an estimated delivery date. No mention of the 1K credit for the prop bundle. 75K for 1955 technology which I might receive in 3 years? Fugeddaboudit. Seeya Lycoming. ✌️peace out.
Greg Beckner
Dues paid

Useless if they won’t provide an estimated delivery date. No mention of the 1K credit for the prop bundle. 75K for 1955 technology which I might receive in 3 years? Fugeddaboudit. Seeya Lycoming. ✌️peace out.
Greg Beckner
Dues paid
That timeline is my biggest hang up more so than the money. I ordered in 2022 with projected delivery Oct 2023, then Apr 2024, now maybe 2026? Plus whatever price increases happen between now and then. Or I could just order a non fancy one that is right now 14k cheaper. That still puts me right around the same total price point as accepting the new offer and I may get an engine in the next year.

I jumped on the reorder as soon as it came out last night and now I surely regret doing it. Called Chris at Lycoming to let him know I had accepted the new contract since he has been telling me that my engine would be one of the first ran when all this gets cleared up just to be informed that I might get my engine by the end of this year. That will be almost a 3 year wait. I first contacted Lycoming in April of 23 since that was my 12 month delivery date that I was given upon deposit. Chris told me it would be out in May of 23. May passed , June passed, first of July passed so I made contact for a second time. Chris told me middle to end of August. Middle of August I called and was given an answer of the Thunderbolt line was down for the entire month of August due to rusty parts that have to be inspected. (I'm guessing the real reason now is the fact of Vans non payment of $598,000 worth of engines shipped with non payment that we were unaware of at the time). I called again about a month ago and talked to Chris about switching to a non Thunderbolt 540 to speed up my delivery date when they resume manufacturing and he once again informed me that I was at the top of the que for a Thunderbolt and that would put me farther back in the que. I had already talked to Barrett about an engine and if I haven't been strung along by lies of my engine being first off the line I would be looking at a Barrett engine by April of 24. Something for you people that haven't reordered to think about. I want nothing more for Vans to survive but them leading us into darkness for us to continue to finance bad decisions is getting old. Now I am forced to talk to an attorney to find out want options I have. I based my reorder on a bed of lies. Chris claims Lycoming is still working on the details with Vans and he has no idea when the deal will be finalized. I asked about them playing catch up on engine orders since they haven't taken any new orders in a couple of months and the reply was with Chapter 11 they are not allowed to do anything. ( I find that hard to believe). I have built a complete RV10 in less time than I can get an engine and now it looks like I will have to clean off the cobwebs before I can install my engine.

I jumped on the reorder as soon as it came out last night and now I surely regret doing it. Called Chris at Lycoming to let him know I had accepted the new contract since he has been telling me that my engine would be one of the first ran when all this gets cleared up just to be informed that I might get my engine by the end of this year. That will be almost a 3 year wait. I first contacted Lycoming in April of 23 since that was my 12 month delivery date that I was given upon deposit. Chris told me it would be out in May of 23. May passed , June passed, first of July passed so I made contact for a second time. Chris told me middle to end of August. Middle of August I called and was given an answer of the Thunderbolt line was down for the entire month of August due to rusty parts that have to be inspected. (I'm guessing the real reason now is the fact of Vans non payment of $598,000 worth of engines shipped with non payment that we were unaware of at the time). I called again about a month ago and talked to Chris about switching to a non Thunderbolt 540 to speed up my delivery date when they resume manufacturing and he once again informed me that I was at the top of the que for a Thunderbolt and that would put me farther back in the que. I had already talked to Barrett about an engine and if I haven't been strung along by lies of my engine being first off the line I would be looking at a Barrett engine by April of 24. Something for you people that haven't reordered to think about. I want nothing more for Vans to survive but them leading us into darkness for us to continue to finance bad decisions is getting old. Now I am forced to talk to an attorney to find out want options I have. I based my reorder on a bed of lies. Chris claims Lycoming is still working on the details with Vans and he has no idea when the deal will be finalized. I asked about them playing catch up on engine orders since they haven't taken any new orders in a couple of months and the reply was with Chapter 11 they are not allowed to do anything. ( I find that hard to believe). I have built a complete RV10 in less time than I can get an engine and now it looks like I will have to clean off the cobwebs before I can install my engine.
I’m gonna explore every possible option at a different engine before I click whatever button I’m going to click. If I could find another dealer to order an exp-119 from for current price I’d come out ahead even losing most or all of my deposit

Has anyone looked at the Additional Terms of the modified contract?

Item 1 says, "Until the Buyer has been sent the Production Notice, all prices and specifications are subject to change without prior notice. Buyer shall pay all applicable taxes and fees as required by law in connection with the purchase."

That basically says that we can't count on the new price we agree to. Am I missing something?

Has anyone looked at the Additional Terms of the modified contract?

Item 1 says, "Until the Buyer has been sent the Production Notice, all prices and specifications are subject to change without prior notice. Buyer shall pay all applicable taxes and fees as required by law in connection with the purchase."

That basically says that we can't count on the new price we agree to. Am I missing something?
Nope, without a personal timeline and a general 36-48 month window, expect more price increases.

I’m gonna explore every possible option at a different engine before I click whatever button I’m going to click. If I could find another dealer to order an exp-119 from for current price I’d come out ahead even losing most or all of my deposit
You won't find an EXP-119 on the market from another company. Apparently Lycoming doesn't sell the parts to any of the other build shops. I enquired with Aerosport Power about this already. Depending on what you are looking for and how much work you want to do, you can find IO-360's or IO-375's that may work, but these require significantly more work fitting baffles, exhaust, cowling, etc....

Guys, anyone else with the following problem on the SmartIdentity page? Signed in I'm only presented with the options Profile, Two Factor Authentication, Change Password... maybe I'm blind (or really getting old), but I don't see any information pertaining to my order.

Are you guys presented with an icon or option to access your order data and options?

You won't find an EXP-119 on the market from another company. Apparently Lycoming doesn't sell the parts to any of the other build shops. I enquired with Aerosport Power about this already. Depending on what you are looking for and how much work you want to do, you can find IO-360's or IO-375's that may work, but these require significantly more work fitting baffles, exhaust, cowling, etc....
It's less than optimal but it's either that or instead of an Avionics package I stick computer screens in the dash and make it into a flight simulator. I've been emailing companies all morning looking for quotes and info. As much as I was hoping a first airplane build would have a lot of hand holding and plug and play, I guess I need to embrace the experimental part and get smarter on how to do engine stuff. There's one company where you go to Canada and they build your engine with you that I'm hoping gets back to me with good news.

Guys, anyone else with the following problem on the SmartIdentity page? Signed in I'm only presented with the options Profile, Two Factor Authentication, Change Password... maybe I'm blind (or really getting old), but I don't see any information pertaining to my order.

Are you guys presented with an icon or option to access your order data and options?
https://vansaircraft.smartexchange.com/portal/ is the link you want in case you are using something else like I was.

I had to pick change password. Changed my password and that worked.

Thanks guys, it now works, using the iPad. Maybe there was some rejection by Safari on my Mac.
Thanks again (y)
On my Ipad I can’t actually see the new contract files. They’re populated on my desktop but on the Ipad it’s just a single page that says this is your new contract.

It's less than optimal but it's either that or instead of an Avionics package I stick computer screens in the dash and make it into a flight simulator. I've been emailing companies all morning looking for quotes and info. As much as I was hoping a first airplane build would have a lot of hand holding and plug and play, I guess I need to embrace the experimental part and get smarter on how to do engine stuff. There's one company where you go to Canada and they build your engine with you that I'm hoping gets back to me with good news.
They won't. That company in Canada is Aerosport Power and they told me a few weeks ago that they can't get the parts for the IO-390. They can do a stroked IO-375 (based on a parallel valve 360), but the exhaust and baffles will be different and would require a lot of work to fit. And I have no idea what the cost of the IO-375 would be, but I suspect it would be similar the IO-390 from Van's/Lycoming. If you're willing to take the risk with the Van's deal, it seems it's still the best option. I pressed "Agree" soon after I got my email last night. And bought a Hartzell prop a few minutes later.

They won't. That company in Canada is Aerosport Power and they told me a few weeks ago that they can't get the parts for the IO-390. They can do a stroked IO-375 (based on a parallel valve 360), but the exhaust and baffles will be different and would require a lot of work to fit. And I have no idea what the cost of the IO-375 would be, but I suspect it would be similar the IO-390 from Van's/Lycoming. If you're willing to take the risk with the Van's deal, it seems it's still the best option. I pressed "Agree" soon after I got my email last night. And bought a Hartzell prop a few minutes later.
I actually just got that exact response but they did give me a price of 53k. Honestly my plan A right now depending on if we can order a second engine is to reject the offer and order a non thunderbolt through Vans. If they don’t allow us to make a second engine order then I’m hoping something else comes through. Plan Z is this crazy overpriced long wait thunderbolt. When I ordered the price delta was only about 4k. A 14k and 3 year wait time difference is completely nuts. I never would have imagined 2 years ago when I ordered this thing it would have gotten that weird.

I actually just got that exact response but they did give me a price of 53k. Honestly my plan A right now depending on if we can order a second engine is to reject the offer and order a non thunderbolt through Vans. If they don’t allow us to make a second engine order then I’m hoping something else comes through. Plan Z is this crazy overpriced long wait thunderbolt. When I ordered the price delta was only about 4k. A 14k and 3 year wait time difference is completely nuts. I never would have imagined 2 years ago when I ordered this thing it would have gotten that weird.
I hear you. I made the decision in 2022 to go with the non-TB as even then, the $4k price differential seemed high. The $12k now is even more crazy considering I know a guy who bought a TB in 2019 for $36k. It's worth keeping in mind that the pricing of the TB engine is strictly Lycoming. This pricing has nothing to do with Van's.

So those who got kits, does how quick you respond to the new contract dictate what your new place in line is?
I believe that my finish kit will be headed my direction in the next few weeks. I say that because have been asked for final payment for it. I got the email from Van’s at 12:07 am and accepted/signed the agreement at 2:29am on the same day. Most days I hate my insomnia.

I believe that my finish kit will be headed my direction in the next few weeks. I say that because have been asked for final payment for it. I got the email from Van’s at 12:07 am and accepted/signed the agreement at 2:29am on the same day. Most days I hate my insomnia.
Well, it didn't take me long to figure out that every option besides throw unlimited money and an indefinite timeline at the new contract and hope for the best was superior to every other option. If they don't retain our previous place in line, I was just wondering if I could wind up waiting 6 years for this stupid thunderbolt.

I have a question that to my understanding has never been fully answered on VAF.

I don't yet know how I'm going to go, but if we decide to decline the engine re-order then HOW do we file a claim? Does Van's do this automatically? Must we hire a lawyer? Are there instructions somewhere on how to do this?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

I have a question that to my understanding has never been fully answered on VAF.

I don't yet know how I'm going to go, but if we decide to decline the engine re-order then HOW do we file a claim? Does Van's do this automatically? Must we hire a lawyer? Are there instructions somewhere on how to do this?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Actually has been discussed a couple of times. A claim needs to be filed here:

You can actually look at the claims others have filed to get an idea what’s involved. If you want to do it yourself or not is up to you. Bankruptcy law is complex so unless you are willing to do the required reading a lawyer might be a faster/saver option in particular if a lot of money is at stake.

Oliver

IIRC, there was an offer to change Lyc. orders from thunderbolt to non- thunderbolt because of the long lead times. For those who have received the email, is there any such option?

There was not. There was even italics on the words same engine. I didn't get any response from lycoming on the subject either so I'm wondering if all hands are tied while the court is calling shots. I'll reattack with Lycoming directly if able, I really don't want to spend 14k over the price of a regular engine. It was a drop in the bucket when the delta was 4k, this is ridiculous. No identical engine is worth that much more for a kiss on each part before assembly.

I think it's time for Lycoming to provide an update as to what is going so wrong with the Thunderbolt line. At one point I thought they were expanding it, but everything I here is that they are plagued with shortages, part issues, and partial shutdowns. What are they doing about it, and what are the timelines to getting back to something more normal for delivery times? I understand there are still some issues being resolved between Vans and Lycoming, and that could be holding up an update specific to our deliveries. However, I think Lycoming could speak independently about their current challenges, and what is being done about it.

I think it's time for Lycoming to provide an update as to what is going so wrong with the Thunderbolt line. At one point I thought they were expanding it, but everything I here is that they are plagued with shortages, part issues, and partial shutdowns. What are they doing about it, and what are the timelines to getting back to something more normal for delivery times? I understand there are still some issues being resolved between Vans and Lycoming, and that could be holding up an update specific to our deliveries. However, I think Lycoming could speak independently about their current challenges, and what is being done about it.
I don't have any real knowledge, just a theory about this question. As I understand it a "Thunderbolt" is what the hotrod world calls a "Blueprinted" engine. The machining tolerances are tighter from an assembly line engine. And variance's in sizes, flows, and weights cylinder to cylinder are matched more closely. Then all of these measurements are checked and verified during assembly.

In the hotrod world the improved fit, alignment, balance, etc is largely achieved through aftermarket manufacturers with higher standards than an oem assembly line. For Lycoming to achieve this they have to check and cherry pick oem parts, then try to match them engine to engine. I'm certain that takes considerable time by itself. But the delta between "Thunderbolt" and a normal engine is probably driven by the overall shortage of components giving less to cherry pick from.

I believe I have received duplicate emails for the new engine terms to be reviewed and agreed upon. Has anyone else seen this? I just now received an email to log in and review/agree to new terms after already completing the agreement yesterday.

Patrick

I believe I have received duplicate emails for the new engine terms to be reviewed and agreed upon. Has anyone else seen this? I just now received an email to log in and review/agree to new terms after already completing the agreement yesterday.

Patrick
The same for me.

Patrick
I received 4 emails on 01/30/2024, and promptly reordered my engine. I received another one this morning. Returning to the portal, I don't have any orders pending decision.

Same here. Was hoping for a lower price this time around :). It appears some people didn't get their emails, so my guess is they resent them hoping to fill the gaps.

Patrick
Same here

Same here. Ordered my engine/prop combo July 2022. Got the Prop December 2022. Original Engine delivery was scheduled January 2024. Three invites to the order portal now. I checked agree and even called Van’s yesterday to make sure I had e-signed everything correctly. Spoke to Anne and she said they show everything was correct. Waiting on word as to when the engine will be ready (540 TB) and she said they, Van’s and Lycoming, will know more when the window closes and they see how many are keeping their orders.

FWIW no new email (received one for finishing kit weeks ago). However, just checked the portal and it was updated to show both finishing kit and engine order.

Greg addressed the duplicate emails in another thread:

edit- the text shown here isn't pertinent, but if you click on it, the link takes you to Greg's post.

Back