What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Cowling

N63TX

I'm New Here
The RV-6A that I bought to fly for right now is an older (1991) one. As such, the engine cowling has numerous cracks and even one hole. While repair is possible, I also want to consider replacement. The engine is a Lycoming O320-D1A. I would assume a replacement could be ordered from Vans and I'm also aware of James Aircraft.

Are there any other options?

Thanks in advance,

Cowling-just in case

I'm sure you know this but, just in case. Any cowling that you purchase will need to be "built/fitted" to your engine. It's not difficult, but does require the attachment hardware to be installed/riveted after trimming the fiberglass to fit your set up. If you are building a Vans Aircraft, you probably could use the basic instructions for the model that you have. If not, you will need a 6A construction manual. Preview plans from Van's will work and cost around $50.

Another thing to consider; If your airplane has a fixed pitch prop, the older style cowling used the 4" prop extension. This cowling is no longer offered by Vans. All Van's cowlings now use the 2.25" extension. This would necessitate changing the extension and modifying the baffles. The Sam James cowling (I believe) uses the 4" extension.
Mel...DAR

How can I find out more about the Sam James cowling. My RV-6A started out as a 1991 also, now I'm looking at my options (repair or replace).
Any help would greatly be appreciated .
Bob

Thanks to all for the responses.
I should have added more info for Mel & others. I don't know the full detailed history but the prop was originally fixed pitch wood and photos from that era show the spinner and cowling well matched with little gap. Before I bought the plane, the prop was switched to fixed pitch metal with 4" extension & now there is some gap. It sounds like I would need the cowling for 4" extension anyways.

Back