What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empannage Fairing

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I'm building a Fastback-4. Where do you all get your empannage fairing? Please tell me you dont custom fabricate it. I may brake-down in tears!

-Bruce

faring

The F1 kits come with an empenage faring but it has not fit my projects that well so I fabricate my own. Others have had some success with the faring. Contact Mark Fredrick to purchase one.

Tom Martin

Hey Dayton. This is a fastback RV-4. The the upper deck (F-407 aft) is about 10" higher, and I'm using the harmon rocket canopy. The stock RV-4 empanage fairings just wont fit.

http://www.precision3d.com/rv4/rv4fuse/Picture 046.jpg

Thanks for the advise though. I've purchased a HR empanage fairing from Massey. It will be close enough to cut and patch vs. a from scratch hand-layup which could take 4x longer.

-Bruce

Cut a triangular piece out of the fairing on each side, between the vertical stab and the horizontal stab. Get the fairing to fit around the empennage components. Then, lay up 1 ply of bid onto your fuselage (covered of course) and flox the fairing onto the layup. While wet, apply another 1 ply bid layout on the top of the fairing around the openings that you cut out, overlapping the layup on the sides of the fairing about an inch. This ties the bottom and top layups together. Once dry, fill with microballons and you should be good to go.

Back