What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Electrical Extras in the cockpit

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
I'm just starting to think about how/what wiring I'll have running through the cockpit. Just curious what "I wish" moments others may have after flying a while. For example, while I plan on putting a couple of USB chargers in the panel, I'm wondering if it also makes sense to either put USB in between the seats (either on the floor or maybe front of the flap control cover) or even on a side panel back in the baggage compartment. At this point I just don't know what I might use at some point that would need power vs batteries - like an oxygen controller that might be easier to plug in somewhere in the baggage area.

What electrical add-ons did you do or wish you had done? Power ports, built in lights, espresso machine....

RVs and noise

The RVs are pretty noisy in the cockpit. Which means an ANR headset. Which means either batteries to power the headset or the LEMO plug style that feeds power to the headset from the panel.

I have been using standard headsets with a battery box for the ANR feature. But the batteries do last very long (40 hours or so) so am thinking of servicing my headsets to use the LEMO plug and wiring up panel power to the headsets.

Not flying yet, but since I'm not doing ducted cabin heat I put in wiring for heated seats and separately an extra switched Powerlet outlet on each side just behind the seatback and outboard for heated clothing (or any other purpose - oxygen concentrator, ferry tank aux fuel pump, bomb release). Also have dual USB-C outlets and a Lemo port on each side in the air vent ears, and a Powerlet on the panel that's wired straight (fused, of course) to the battery for both in-flight use and to connect a battery tender.

Cigarette plug

Although very old school great for blowing up a mattress (or tire) with an air pump.

My RV-9A is old school in that it has a cigarette lighter plug on each side. I've put a two outlet USB-A adapter in each...
* Although the cheap adapters can make electrical noise, the rest of the avionics are good enough to not be bothered.
* On the right side, I plug in the handheld GPS and the cell phone. This means that in case of electrical failure, the GPS is good for four hours, plenty enough. And the cell phone is fully charged so that in case of an off airport landing, it's at full charge.
* When I had the Garmin VIRB, it would grab power from another USB. The VIRB died, doggone it, and the GoPro is battery only.

One thing I'd like is an extra audio out, paralleling the copilot's audio, to feed a video camera. That would get rid of the clunky Y cable. I don't shoot any serious video, but maybe multiple audio outs?

When I mounted the video camera behind the seats, there was a clumsy anaconda of wires going back there. Doing it from scratch, I'd have audio and USB/lighter plug behind the copilot seat.

Last edited:
I had dual USB A ports, then I put in a USB A and USB C charger. The USB C charges my I pad much better, bur I still need the USB A for other things.

If you’re building now then definitely USB-C PD as a minimum. USB A if you still have devices that use them. Be careful with cheap USB sockets. Do your research.
I’m also a big fan of Lemo vs farting about with batteries for ANR
I had a cig lighter on the last plane but never really used it so don’t have on the RV10. I have Anderson plugs in the baggage compartment for charging the main batteries which can be used for high current requirements if required.
If you’re feeling adventurous then a MagSafe charger too :)

Back