What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duralast Alternator OEM wiring diagram or pin-out?

N804RV

Well Known Member
I'm trying to figure out how an alternator is wired on an RV-6A. Its a Duralast 14870 internally regulated. I cannot get to the back connector without disassembling and The builder's wiring looks non standard. I haven't found the builder's log yet.

I see the 10ga B lead wire going to the ANL. But, there are 3 wires, a red, green and blue coming off the back connector. The red one goes to alt warning light which is then connected to the battery buss through a 1amp circuit breaker. The green wire disappears in the firewall pass-through (I haven't torn that apart yet and hoping not to). And the blue wire is cleanly cut off (like with a pair of dikes) and left floating and uninsulated about 2" from the connector (there's no corresponding loose wires in the associated bundle).

The gripe I'm troubleshooting is wildly erratic EGT/CHT on all cylinders with a corresponding but dimly flickering ALT WRN light. When the engine is shut down, the ALT WRN light is brightly illuminated as it should be. The owner says it was working fine until he encountered a pretty violent nosewheel shimmy.

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited:
If you have a voltmeter you dont need the warning light, just extra junk, my voltmeter is in my scan as much as my altimeter, always using it, every flight after starting I turn the field switch on and check its working. Since its internally regd than it is super caveman easy, big wire to bus, little wire to 5 amp fuse or C/B than to the field toggle switch.

Back