What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY Upholstery

psvalentine

Has anyone attempted to DIY the upholstery? I have the foam set for the rear seats. A pattern is provided. But it has so many inaccuracies without any instructions. Any advice would be appreciated.
Susan

Susan
I have covered many seats,including the RV-10 front seats, but not the rv-10 rear seats. I remember looking at the foam vs the pattern and they did not seem to match. The picture on the website shows the layout like this
ca_seat_set_rear_10.jpg
The back would be pretty straightforward. If that pattern doesn't match the rectangular size with 3/8-5/8" seam allowance, then I would suggest you make your own pattern. The bottom seat cushion is odd.
The question is do you cover it as one piece or two. With that large gap in the front I am not sure. We have oregon aero rear seats and the bottom cushion is solid and does not have that gap.

Susan
I have covered many seats,including the RV-10 front seats, but not the rv-10 rear seats. I remember looking at the foam vs the pattern and they did not seem to match. The picture on the website shows the layout like this
View attachment 56317
The back would be pretty straightforward. If that pattern doesn't match the rectangular size with 3/8-5/8" seam allowance, then I would suggest you make your own pattern. The bottom seat cushion is odd.
The question is do you cover it as one piece or two. With that large gap in the front I am not sure. We have oregon aero rear seats and the bottom cushion is solid and does not have that gap.
Carol, the bottom isn't quite that peculiar. But it is odd shaped for sure. I started on the back of the seat first. The biggest issue I'm having is the fabric doesn't stay against the back ( where you lean). Is gluing necessary?
The foam for the back of the seat doesn't have that crossbar of foam.

Carol, the bottom isn't quite that peculiar. But it is odd shaped for sure. I started on the back of the seat first. The biggest issue I'm having is the fabric doesn't stay against the back ( where you lean). Is gluing necessary?
At this point I'm ready to find an automotive shop to do the upholstery. That is if I ever get my front seats.

What material are you using. The only time I used glue was when using ultra leather. Due to its 4 way stretch it didn't lay flat. Interesting there is no crossbar of foam. If you glue, most likely if you ever have to recover, the foam will not come out cleanly. Since you are close calling it quits, I would try using this temporary glue to see if it holds the fabric down.

IMG_1053.JPG

If it fixes your issue, if/when it comes loose, then use the 3M Hi strength adhesive for a permanent solution.

Hi Carol,
I've attached a photo of a bottom seat cushion. Is it what yours look like?
Also, a picture of my first attempt at a seat back in an upholstery fabric. The final cover will be a faux leather.
As you can see the center doesn't lay down to the back. With your experience what do you suggest? Is it overall just too small?

Attachments

• attachments (1).zip
    186.1 KB · Views: 72
There's a special kind of white velcro cloth that you would glue one side to the foam & the other to the fabric. It's super stong holding. I can't think of it off hand, but I'll post an update with a link of a supplier.

Update: Velcro Zebra Loop

Last edited:
Here's an old post on how I made my seats from start to finish. Might be useful. Might make you laugh hysterically. Those seats are still in service.

Here's another option you might consider. I bought the foam (with patterns) for my RV-8 project. Took it all to a local automotive upholstery place. I was VERY satisfied with the work and the price.

1708530031207.png

Back