What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cutaway RV Drawing

Tom, not sure if this has already been asked...but I dont suppose you will be at OSH offering these will you?

Hi Ron,
Tom will be at OSH, but we won't be sending any inventory there. The giclee prints are printed, signed and numbered one at a time as they are ordered. And they are shipped in heavy shipping tubes to protect them. If we are not sold out of the 100 limited editions by then, Tom will take orders there.

Nina (for Tom)

RV8A and RV7-7A cutaway illustrations

The -8 was a slider, so why not -7 as tip-up this time? :D You may have collected the answers from the thread already showing that slider version is more preferred... however as it's such a minor detail (in one way), and I understood these are computer made eventually, so would it be too hard to make two versions?

Hi Pirka,
The model with the most orders will be the first to be created. Right now we have people who have expressed interest in all versions - RV-7, 7A tip up and sliders. If people want to place orders for a limited edition giclee print of any of these models, they should send their order via email to us directly at [email protected]. We'll reserve a limited edition number for the model they request. We won't actually bill anyone until (unless) a project has enough orders and is scheduled.

The next cutaway coming up soon is the RV8-A. We're taking orders for those now. However, at least for now, we are only offering giclee prints at $200 plus S/H - we haven't had enough interest in the standard print orders to cover the printing.

Nina (for Tom)

MT 3-Blade Prop

Does anyone out there have a nice photo of an MT 3-blade prop with the spinner off from about a 20 degree angle (like the cutaway view)? I like the looks of the MT prop and am thinking of putting one on the next cutaway.

Thanks, Tom

There's another creature in the illustration and it was put there just for fun. It's fairly small.

Tom

Boy, you make it hard on these old eyes, especially working just from the image on the comp.

Luckily I have the assistance of a sharp eyed young lad to help.

Rubber duck floating in the fuel tank???

Boy, you make it hard on these old eyes, especially working just from the image on the comp.

Luckily I have the assistance of a sharp eyed young lad to help.

Rubber duck floating in the fuel tank???

Yep - good eye spotting the rubber ducky. TJ

RV-9 Cutaway

Hi everyone,

I'm finishing up the RV-8A cutaway and will post a teaser before Oshkosh, which means I'll be starting the -7 So...Who out there has the coolest RV-7
and will be at Oshkosh? We still don't have enough orders for the -7's to start a project but I will be doing some advance research. I'll be there all week and will be gathering reference photos. Look forward to seeing everyone there!

TJ

Last edited:
Oh Yeah. Mine arrived today. These photos cannot possibly capture the clarity and attention to detail displayed in Tom's stunning work.

9ifwg6.jpg

Got mine!

My print arrived today too! GREAT WORK TOM!!!:D:D

The detail and clarity is awesome!

Took it over to get it framed and was blown away by the cost!

Michael's craft stores has a sale on framing, 60% off starting this Sunday and running a week. I'll be at OSH during the sale, but for that kind of savings I'll trouble my sister in law to take the print over there then.

Even at the sale price though, a nice frame with double matt and good glass still makes a pretty expensive display unit.

The art excellence, print quality and limited edition of the print is worth a top shelf framing though.

It's not like the print will ever decrease in value!

Bet a little Google time looking for "picture framing online" or something like that will lower your cost :)

Framing

We found Michaels to be really expensive - even their so-called sales. If you have a Beards Frame Shop or other self-frame shop around try them. They are twice as fast, half as expensive and just as good. We never do the self-frame - they do it for you much cheaper than elsewhere.

Tom/Nina

cutaways shipping

Tom,
Have you started shipping the 8 Giclee's yet?

We have shipped 29. We are picking up another batch from the printer and shipping on Monday. We are shipping in the order we receive final payment. Yours is next up. Because they are so time-consuming to print, our printer can only produce about 25 - 30 per week.

Nina/Tom

We found Michaels to be really expensive - even their so-called sales.......
I know that to be true and the Michael stores in our area seems to frequently run some kind of frame sale. Because I've had occasion to frame several art prints lately, I've learned to spurn Michaels and have been buying frames on-line. American Frames is one I used most recently. Fast service and competitive pricing. Some on-line frame stores, like American Frames allow you to download an image of your artwork and then you can try out a wide variety of frames and mats and glass with your work of art. Another nice feature on some of these sites is the estimated cost of your frame is automatically adjusted with each option you add or change. Do a Google search. Lots better options out there even with added shipping costs than a locally bought Michaels custom picture frame.

Something else you may want to consider. A lot of artwork requires custom framing made to a specific, often unique size. That can easily add to its cost. The RV-8 cutaway drawing is very conveniently sized at 24" X 36." Premade picture frames of that standard dimension are widely available from a variety of retail sources. I happened to put my cutaway print into a pre-built frame I already had to protect and quickly frame the drawing so I could better admire Tom's stunning art craft.

RV-8 cutaway shipping problems

We just received notice that one of the prints ended up sitting in the rain for about 4 hours before it's new owner got home. He suggested that we look at shippers other than the US post office. We researched and found that the cheapest alternative is FedEx, but we would need to raise the shipping and handling charge in the US to $29, which we don't really want to do.

So for future shipments, prints will be wrapped in plastic inside the tube, so if the tube get's wet, the print should be protected.

If anyone has suggestions or issues with the shipping, please send us an email at [email protected] and let us know.

Nina/Tom

when are the other RV model prints coming out?

Tom,

I am envious of the -8 drivers who are getting their prints. When will you be doing a 9A print? I sent an email last week concerning getting my name on the # print list for the 9A but I am really jealous of these guys who are receiving their prints now.

Any news on when you will be doing other models?

#4 arrived yesterday. The mailman placed it beside the front door under the covered porch. Looks great! After some of you get yours framed, how 'bout posting a pic so I can get some ideas on framing. Thanks!

Rain

Mine arrived today and there were Thunderstorms in the area. I knew the time the postlady usually comes by, so I came back home to rescue it from possible destruction.

Btw, It's awsome! Thanks:D

Mine arrived

USPS pushed in the end of the tube, luckily it didn't reach the poster and I didn't have to worry about rain in this hot socal weather...

Can't wait to get it framed.

Doing other models

Tom,

I am envious of the -8 drivers who are getting their prints. When will you be doing a 9A print? I sent an email last week concerning getting my name on the # print list for the 9A but I am really jealous of these guys who are receiving their prints now.

Any news on when you will be doing other models?

We are recording orders for all models. It looks like an RV-7 will be next because there are more orders for the 7's at this point. But we still don't have enough of any one Rv-7 model to commission a project. The 9's only have 14 orders so far - with most for the 9A. Although we're taking orders - we aren't invoicing anyone for retainers until a project actually has enough orders to schedule the project. We need at least 50 orders for a model to schedule it.

Nina

Beee-utiful

I got my signed print #8 today and it is stunning.
Thanks Tom for the great work..

Non-US shippings?

Hi. Were non-US shipping performed?
I live in Italy and my giclee has not come, yet.

Thanks.
Camillo

OK, all you 7 and 9 drivers. Lets get busy with this! I really want one of these for my 9 so if enough of you guys will get on the "request band wagon" we can persuade Tom to start on our models. I know we can do it!
We are recording orders for all models. It looks like an RV-7 will be next because there are more orders for the 7's at this point. But we still don't have enough of any one Rv-7 model to commission a project. The 9's only have 14 orders so far - with most for the 9A. Although we're taking orders - we aren't invoicing anyone for retainers until a project actually has enough orders to schedule the project. We need at least 50 orders for a model to schedule it.

Nina

Sex Sells

....I am envious of the -8 drivers who are getting their prints. When will you be doing a 9A print? Any news on when you will be doing other models?
Simple solution, just start building an 8! :D That's what Rick did! ;)
If I didn't think the RV-8 is hands down the sexiest looking RV design out there, I wouldn't have built one.:D

szeqgo.jpg

OK, all you 7 and 9 drivers. Lets get busy with this! I really want one of these for my 9 so if enough of you guys will get on the "request band wagon" we can persuade Tom to start on our models. I know we can do it!

I am in. I didn't know that Tom is planning other models and I previously chose RV7A. I guess I have to drop that order and get on the "other wagon". I want the 9A but if there is not enough demand I go with 7A.

RV-8A Cutaway Report

Hi Group,

I'm adding the finishing touches to the RV-8A cutaway and thought you'd like to have a peak.

Tom
rv8aweb.jpg

Framed

Here's what #1 looks like in a way too expensive frame job.

Sorry about the angle. The flash was bouncing back too much.

Tom your work is.........well, Art!!

I just made this image as my "desktop page".

Rick, you're right, the 8 is the sexiest RV. Too bad my wife likes to sit beside me when we fly!
So a 7A will have to do:)

RV-7A tip-up

I put my request in for an RV-7A tip-up last month. Surely there are enough -7A tip-ups out there to commission his work. Jump on the band wagon! :D

2nd RV-8 Custom Cutaway

Hi Group,

I just finished the 2nd custom RV-8 cutaway of Joel McMillian's cool FW-190 replica scheme for N880JM.
rv8n880jmcopy2.jpg

Find out more about having a custom cutaway done of your plane by contacting Tom by e-mail at: [email protected].

Cheers, Tom

Just received #37

and a couple of regular prints.

We just stared in silence. Wow.

The website previews do faint justice, I think.

Did I say Wow? Wow.

*a giclee is digital print that is the highest quality reproduction available. These are fine-art prints produced on museum quality acid-free paper using non-fading special inks. When framed properly, these prints have non-fading life expectancy of 100 years. These must be printed one at a time at ultra-high resolution for maximum detail. They take about 1 hour each to print and are dazzling.

I have a giclee print and would like to display it in my garage where I will be working on my 8. Is this a bad idea, or are you saying the giclee would hold up against the elements my garage is exposed to? When you say 'framed properly' above, what specifically does that mean?

Thanks,
Tom

I have a giclee print and would like to display it in my garage where I will be working on my 8. Is this a bad idea, or are you saying the giclee would hold up against the elements my garage is exposed to? When you say 'framed properly' above, what specifically does that mean?

Thanks,
Tom

Your garage would be fine - I assume it has a roof? If I were building an RV, that is where I would hang the print.

Tom

RV-8 Custom Cutaway of N3TU

Another custom cutaway of the RV-8 that belongs to Dan Miller; N3TU.
rv8n3tuweb.jpg

If you are interested in a custom cutaway of your RV-8, e-mail Tom @ [email protected] and attach photos of your plane. Tom will review the request and provide a quote. Custom cutaways start at $500.00.

RV-7 Cutaway Project Start

I have started the RV-7 cutaway project. The photo reference used is of a friend's RV-7 Tip-up. I have thoroughly studied the plans for all of the -7's and now as I plot out components, all 4 versions of the model will be done at the same time. The basic skeleton will be done today and then the detail work will begin. Progress updates will be posted periodically.

Tom

rv7layoutmap.jpg

Tom,

Please add me to the list for a limited-edition giclee print of the 9A. Also sent private email direct to you as instructed.

Thanks
Bill

Back