What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Continental IO-550 on a 10?

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
The engine dry weights are about the same, but will obviously need a different engine mount. Anyone know a source for the engine mount?

Ask an experienced mechanic “which engine brand they would prefer in their high-performance certificated airplane.”

I’m pretty sure I know the answer most would give.

I don’t see what benefits there would be considering the effort that would be required ( says the guy that did a lot of the work to install a Cont. IO-360 in the second RV-10 prototype).

I don’t see what benefits there would be considering the effort that would be required ( says the guy that did a lot of the work to install a Cont. IO-360 in the second RV-10 prototype).
Availability, for one. Lycoming pricing and lead time has blown right past "Stupid" and is homing in on "Ludicrous".

Availability, for one. Lycoming pricing and lead time has blown right past "Stupid" and is homing in on "Ludicrous".
Availability might be a reason.
I don’t think pricing would be though.

Get a quote for a Continental without having a core to return and I think you will find the price to be about the same or maybe even a bit more because of the RV OEM discount.

Last edited:
Availability might be a reason.
I don’t think pricing would be though.

Get a quote for a Continental without having a core to return and I think you will find the price to be about the same or maybe even a bit more because of the RV OEM discount.

The RV-10 has turned used -540's into gold.

Mid or low time big Continentals are more available and less expensive than the pseudo-equivalent -540. I'm pretty sure Mark Friederick put one on his Rocket for that reason. The obvious downside is that you're gonna need to reinvent almost everything FWF if you go that route.

IO-550's are quite scarce on the used market, 520's a lot more common. A Lancair IV engine mount would be a good starting point, there are guys around that have the jigs to modify an engine mount.

Don

I’d question the source of weights that say a 540 and 550 weigh the same. The 550 is a much heavier engine. Even the 470 can weigh more than a light 540 given angle valve cylinders and starter adapter. That said a 470 is cheap and available and can be made into a 520 (p-ponk) easy enough which is a good engine and 285hp.

My mechanic likes big continentals and small lycomings.

One thing that is odd is the return to tank fuel system, but knowing you it will have EFI anyway.

Every time a Cirrus driver opts for the chute another core free IO-550 becomes available. Just buy the whole firewall forward and you have exhaust, oil cooler, etc.. already OEM engineered.

The C model 520's and 550's used in the Barons have rear dynafocal mounts similar to a Lycoming.

I’d question the source of weights that say a 540 and 550 weigh the same. The 550 is a much heavier engine. Even the 470 can weigh more than a light 540 given angle valve cylinders and starter adapter. That said a 470 is cheap and available and can be made into a 520 (p-ponk) easy enough which is a good engine and 285hp.

My mechanic likes big continentals and small lycomings.

One thing that is odd is the return to tank fuel system, but knowing you it will have EFI anyway.
Wikipedia (keeper of all knowledge) lists the IO-540 at 438 pounds, and the IO550 at 438 pounds.

is that io-540 an angle valve?

Believe whatever you want to believe, but I bet that the io550 is at least 50 lbs heavier than the parallel valve 540 most people use:

In the bearhawk world the people that build o-470's always end up with more weight up front. That right angle starter adapter is heavy as well as the cooler, alternator, props, bed mount, etc.....

Back