What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Compressor story

daberges

Gents

I thought I would post this as it may be useful to some one in the future.

It started when I went to my shop - primed and eager to put in the last 6 rivets on the fwd top deck of my RV9A. (Wife was needed to gun them and she had been busy up until now)

Got the rivets - cleaned the holes - told the wife "5 minutes" - switch on my compressor - loud grinding sound ending in electric motor stall. A few ball bearings slid out from under the hood of my compressor and bounced away.

Bad news - the compressor was bought from Home Depot (Husky) and both HD and Husky had NO information on the pump or any spare parts. Model now not held - not sold - not admitted as even existing!

More bad news - new compressor over 500 USDs. I am in the final 90% of this project and this would hurt.

I went to my usual industrial supplier - Grainger - and they had something that would let me reuse the tank with just a new motor/pump assy - 300 USD. They had many spare parts for everyone else's Compressor but not mine.

Finally after 20 minutes of google, I went to a Campbell Hausfeld website that was advertising spares for compressors. I found it - under a different name - but the same Pt. No. AND they had parts list downloads and everything.

I am now waiting for my new parts to be delivered for a total of 35 USD.

Life is good again. Below is the website. Lots of different spares for different manufacturers of tools. Hope it is useful to someone!

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/

Regards Duncan

If you live in a major metropolitan area, there will be air compressor repair shops listed in the yellow pages. For example, in the Portland, OR book there are 8 listings under "Compressors-repair". They probably could have fixed you up. I got parts for my Craftsman compressor from one of them faster and cheaper than from Sears.

Back