What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Commentary: Why Van’s Shouldn’t Kill the RV-15

Biggie for the 15 is that they can structure the sales contract to address the price changes that could happen in the time between ordering and delivery.

Revenue Stream

I would gladly invest in my -15 right now…

I think the -15 looks awesome and I hope it comes to fruition... I'm sure they have a couple guys continuing to work on it, but it should be on the backburner.

But I don't think your "investment" would help Vans right now. All order deposit money is going into a separate bank account not to be used for parts (unlike their old way). What Vans needs is to deliver kits (at I assume a new higher price).

Personally I would think it would be appropriate to make current customers who are waiting for kits/parts a priority.

Not Now

I cant see the judge allowing the 15 to proceed. Starting of production must be a drain on capital, and the company has none, it is bankrupt. I dont think we will hear anymore about the -15 until the LCP issue is completely resolved and they are out of bankruptcy.
In fact, it would be a good time to sale the RV-15 to another company, "Nike aircraft?" and let a startup get that going. Unlike the other RVs, I think the RV15 does not have a lot of parts in common with the current offerings.

not sure

I think the -15 looks awesome and I hope it comes to fruition... I'm sure they have a couple guys continuing to work on it, but it should be on the backburner.

But I don't think your "investment" would help Vans right now. All order deposit money is going into a separate bank account not to be used for parts (unlike their old way). What Vans needs is to deliver kits (at I assume a new higher price).

Personally I would think it would be appropriate to make current customers who are waiting for kits/parts a priority.

Not sure you understand how Chap 11 works; they are reorganizing and will need a viable revenue stream to continue operation to fund the reorganization. That means they will NEED to continue selling new kits and NOT stop everything to fulfill waiting orders. Should they be given priority? Absolutely. They business, though, needs to STAY in business for that to happen and selling kits is the way they stay in business.

As for my "investment", I am not the only one. People are beating on their door to give them money for the -15. Sounds like a revenue stream to me...

Last edited:
filing

I cant see the judge allowing the 15 to proceed. Starting of production must be a drain on capital, and the company has none, it is bankrupt. I dont think we will hear anymore about the -15 until the LCP issue is completely resolved and they are out of bankruptcy.
In fact, it would be a good time to sale the RV-15 to another company, "Nike aircraft?" and let a startup get that going. Unlike the other RVs, I think the RV15 does not have a lot of parts in common with the current offerings.

According to the filing, it looks like the -15 will not be shelved.

Agreed, though the pro forma projections just show $10k a month dedicated to the program.

That's enough for a test pilot and an engineer, they can both pull rivets :D

Seriously, this is great news to hear. I'm excited about that airplane, it was in my plans.

Agreed, though the pro forma projections just show $10k a month dedicated to the program.

Obviously, they can use much of their existing punch, shear, brake, and press equipment, but there are unique tools involved for each new model.

Does anyone have a sense of what it costs to put together the dedicated tooling for a new kit? Presumably dies so you can hydroform ribs and all those other custom parts, plus molds for the windshield, cowling, etc? I'm just trying to understand if the additional tooling is $500,000 or $5M...

Anyone??? Bueller?

I think their biggest problems is how to get the supply chain, production and QC in place for the 15. They have demonstrated over the last two years as is readily apparent reading the bankruptcy filing that they have not been able to scale their supply chain and production to match demand in a financially beneficial manner (uneven production leading to incomplete kits). So making the supply chain more complex right now is the wrong direction. First they need to simplify the supply chain while racing prices on the existing well understood products to make the "easy" money. Then they can think about the 15.

Oliver

RV15

Put a Deltahawk, or other Jet A burning engine, on it and I'm in. Time to stop living in the past and take a chance on the future.

Put a Deltahawk, or other Jet A burning engine, on it and I'm in. Time to stop living in the past and take a chance on the future.

Pay $25,000+ more for an engine than the ancient Lycoming the RV-15 is designed around, do all the development work for the installation of said different engine, new mount, cowling and all of the other installation details required, and you could probably be in business to sell a half a dozen firewall forward kits to the small number of other people that would be willing to pay a huge premium just to have a kerosene burning engine on the front of their airplane.

I think their biggest problems is how to get the supply chain, production and QC in place for the 15. They have demonstrated over the last two years as is readily apparent reading the bankruptcy filing that they have not been able to scale their supply chain and production to match demand in a financially beneficial manner (uneven production leading to incomplete kits). So making the supply chain more complex right now is the wrong direction. First they need to simplify the supply chain while racing prices on the existing well understood products to make the "easy" money. Then they can think about the 15.

Oliver

My thoughts as well. I don’t think the -15 will be “killed” but it will most likely be delayed due to supplier capacity.

Let's not forget there is a lot of work still to do on the prototype RV-15, which needs to have the new wing structure and the new fuselage mated then flight tested. This gives Van's sufficient time to work through supplier needs. Remember, too, that a bunch of stuff on the airplane is CNC machined and the company has significant internal resources for that.

It's also very likely that any of the initial kits would be made up pieces they could do in house with existing equipment.

All of that is likely to get in line behind getting replacement parts to existing builders, as I understand the situation.

At Oshkosh, Rian announced that Robin Coss is developing a diesel firewall-forward installation for the RV-14. If he puts in enough work to iron out the kinks, it would probably be a relatively small amount of work to then adapt that installation to the RV-15.

Last edited:
Back