What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero Interior - RV14A

cubdriver

Well Known Member
I have a full interior package for the RV14 from Classic Aero. Part of the process is to change the locking mechanism for the canopy from Vans original design. I'm a bit nervous to change the locking mechanism. For others who have installed the side panels, how have you handled it. Changed the locking mechanism? Altered the panel?

I have a full interior package for the RV14 from Classic Aero. Part of the process is to change the locking mechanism for the canopy from Vans original design. I'm a bit nervous to change the locking mechanism. For others who have installed the side panels, how have you handled it. Changed the locking mechanism? Altered the panel?
Pretty straight forward swap. Works well with the interior. Stock latch would probably not.

It's a non-issue. Simply remove the stock parts, enlarge the cutout, and install the new one. Great fit and function. I think you will like it a lot.

Hi Jim,

I have ordered the complete kit from Classic Aero too and I am going with stock locking mechanism. changing the locking mechanism is not required. Unless you want to.

Hi Jim,

I have ordered the complete kit from Classic Aero too and I am going with stock locking mechanism. changing the locking mechanism is not required. Unless you want to.
There is a mod available to install the “lexus lock” available from the aftermarket (JDAir) but I can’t remember if the Van’s stock lock will work with the Classic interior. Seems like the Classic mechanism was required, but it was too long ago to be sure and the plans are at the hangar.

Last edited:
I went with full interior and JD latch. Just installed it all and the idler arm which puts the push rod up mostly out of sight works smoothly. It's a squared away set-up.
-Chris

Back