What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cheap firewall passthrough

dmn056

Well Known Member
Friend
I've been looking at firewall passthroughs for electrical wiring, and decided I needed something like

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/firewall_penetration_kit1in.php

Unfortunately, these are very expensive, especially when converted to Australian currency and shipped half way around the world.

I don't have access to welding equipment to make something similar. However, I did find a similar-looking 304 stainless flanged pipe on eBay, at about 1/20th the ACS price.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3750710...ar=644142360188&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I bought a set of five of the 25mm ID x 39mm long version. Received them, sectioned one to look at the joint. Smoothed one half, pulled the other half apart with a fair amount of force required. The weld has good penetration, but only goes about half depth. Images from various positions are attached.

I think it's probably usable to form a passthrough, but I'd like to hear from anyone who knows more about it than I do whether this is a good idea or not.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• PXL_20240509_004004074_a.jpg
    PXL_20240509_004004074_a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20240509_003544244_a.jpg
    PXL_20240509_003544244_a.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20240509_002556846_a.jpg
    PXL_20240509_002556846_a.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20240509_004047703_a.jpg
    PXL_20240509_004047703_a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 78
I've been looking at firewall passthroughs for electrical wiring, and decided I needed something like

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/firewall_penetration_kit1in.php

Unfortunately, these are very expensive, especially when converted to Australian currency and shipped half way around the world.

I don't have access to welding equipment to make something similar. However, I did find a similar-looking 304 stainless flanged pipe on eBay, at about 1/20th the ACS price.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3750710...ar=644142360188&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I bought a set of five of the 25mm ID x 39mm long version. Received them, sectioned one to look at the joint. Smoothed one half, pulled the other half apart with a fair amount of force required. The weld has good penetration, but only goes about half depth. Images from various positions are attached.

I think it's probably usable to form a passthrough, but I'd like to hear from anyone who knows more about it than I do whether this is a good idea or not.

Thanks for your help.
Hi Dan
I think they will "work" but suspect that they are bulkier than necessary. You could place them on firewall to see how far they protrude.

Otherwise, Bunnings have the pictured stainless flanges in 19mm or 16mm dia for less than $5 per pack of two. I have used the 19mm size fitted over a 5/8" snap bushing through the firewall. The bushing protects the wires from chafing against metal. There are three flanges on the firewall: top right and top left for sensor wires and magneto lines, and lower firewall for solenoids and feed to main bus. This provides adequate space for all the wiring. The flange can be filled with fireproof silicone or fibreglass shield to seal the gaps.
406d6b46-060d-4704-b691-ffa4079c7dc0.jpeg.jpg
20240510_100555.jpg
20240510_100622.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Dan
I think they will "work" but suspect that they are bulkier than necessary. You could place them on firewall to see how far they protrude.

Otherwise, Bunnings have the pictured stainless flanges in 19mm or 16mm dia for less than $5 per pack of two. I have used the 19mm size fitted over a 5/8" snap bushing through the firewall. The bushing protects the wires from chafing against metal. There are three flanges on the firewall: top right and top left for sensor wires and magneto lines, and lower firewall for solenoids and feed to main bus. This provides adequate space for all the wiring. The flange can be filled with fireproof silicone or fibreglass shield to seal the gaps.
View attachment 62481
Why did you not insert the OD through the hole in the firewall? Are the inside of these fittings rough? Just curious.

Why did you not insert the OD through the hole in the firewall? Are the inside of these fittings rough? Just curious.
The inside of the fittings is smooth (since they are press-formed from a single piece of metal). They could be attached from the inside through a bigger hole, probably about 1 inch dia due to the radius at the shoulder. I'm not sure why I didn't do that, it may be because I followed the Van's plan detail for the snap bushing and then supplemented it with the extra protection of the steel flange.

One benefit is that the annular space around the snap bushing gives the firesleeve something to seat against and that helps to secure it.

Last edited:
Can’t beat EMT fittings - Home Depot; get rid of the set screw of course.

There’s another version of this concept but use a saddle clamp for Romex wire. I used this with a wrap of silicone sheet as abrasion protection and clamped the saddle down. Not sure if it’s completely gas tight without sealant, but close

Just a quick follow up -- I prefer to drill one hole through the firewall vs 4 or more for the flanged type passthroughs.

Just a quick follow up -- I prefer to drill one hole through the firewall vs 4 or more for the flanged type passthroughs.
You might consider that if a single wire in a bundle shorts, it will usually melt the wires around it.

You might consider that if a single wire in a bundle shorts, it will usually melt the wires around it.

The number of wires in a bundle is prescribed by the amount of current carried by each wire in the bundle, if you look at the specifications for particular gauge, you will usually see "free space" and "bundled" in the current / heat rating for the wire. Plan accordingly.

For the record, I have 1 passthrough for the BFW (relay to A/C power buss), 1 for the EGT/CHT wires, 1 for the "upper" probes (OT, OP, FP, FF, Aux Gen Shunt, Aux Gen Control, Battery Indicator), 1 for the "lower" controls and probes (Shunt, Starter Enable, Master Enable, Alt Field, Alt Lamp), and 1 each for the Plasma Lightspeed 3 (dual) - sensor and coils.

Last edited:
The number of wires in a bundle is prescribed by the amount of current carried by each wire in the bundle, if you look at the specifications for particular gauge, you will usually see "free space" and "bundled" in the current / heat rating for the wire. Plan accordingly.

For the record, I have 1 passthrough for the BFW (relay to A/C power buss), 1 for the EGT/CHT wires, 1 for the "upper" probes (OT, OP, FP, FF, Aux Gen Shunt, Aux Gen Control, Battery Indicator), 1 for the "lower" controls and probes (Shunt, Starter Enable, Master Enable, Alt Field, Alt Lamp), and 1 each for the Plasma Lightspeed 3 (dual) - sensor and coils.
Guess I'm a little slow, first you said you prefer one hole then you state you have 5?

The wire bundle spec is for normal ops obviously, if for some reason one of those wires gets shorted (as I stated above), it will burn the wires bundled with it, hence never a good idea to put all your wires/eggs in one basket/bundle sort to speak.

Last edited:
Can’t beat EMT fittings - Home Depot; get rid of the set screw of course.

No judgment here—but you may want to consider that burning zinc gives off phosgene (think WW I mustard) gas.

Guess I'm a little slow, first you said you prefer one hole then you state you have 5?

The wire bundle spec is for normal ops obviously, if for some reason one of those wires gets shorted (as I stated above), it will burn the wires bundled with it, hence never a good idea to put all your wires/eggs in one basket/bundle sort to speak.
The pass thru with a flange needs 5 holes, 1 big one, 4 small ones.

0.520 ID fits control push-pull cables. The triple matches the hole pattern for the -10. I have built similar to match RV-8.

Penetration Fittings 12-22.jpg

Insert cable or wire, pump the space full of FireBarrier 2000+ or similar, the result being gas-tight and fireproof. Or insert, pack the extra space with fiberfrax or fiberglass, then wrap in firesleeve and clamp.

Fitting and Firebarrier2000.jpg

Fitting with Firesleeve.jpg

P6010022.jpg
P6010025.jpg

0.520 ID fits control push-pull cables. The triple matches the hole pattern for the -10. I have built similar to match RV-8.

View attachment 62623

Insert cable or wire, pump the space full of FireBarrier 2000+ or similar, the result being gas-tight and fireproof. Or insert, pack the extra space with fiberfrax or fiberglass, then wrap in firesleeve and clamp.
Thank you for this information. I'd be interested in getting a double fitting for my RV-8 throttle and prop cables. Don't need mixture because I'm using SDS EFI/EI. Do you have a web link for ordering them, and does it handle international orders?

I can make one for you, but it would be easy to do locally in Oz and save the postage.

Back