What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Latch Upgrade – Ease of Operation?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
For those that have completed the N 17-12-08 Canopy Latch Upgrade and SB-00059 Rev 1 Canopy Latch Block Improvement… Can you tell me if it is easy to unlatch canopy from inside the airplane? I’m having some shoulder / rotator cuff issues and it’s getting a little difficult to open the canopy.

Thanks in advance….

I don't think that it is any easier to open the canopy after the upgrade than before.
It helps to push the handle aft while opening. You might be better off designing a
new latching system with one latch on each side down lower.
It takes 6 months to recover from shoulder rotator cuff surgery.

It does not seem much, if any, easier to open after the upgrade so I would not go to the expense and effort for that reason only. The upgrade does have a better and more positive canopy safety catch design.

For those that have completed the N 17-12-08 Canopy Latch Upgrade and SB-00059 Rev 1 Canopy Latch Block Improvement… Can you tell me if it is easy to unlatch canopy from inside the airplane? I’m having some shoulder / rotator cuff issues and it’s getting a little difficult to open the canopy.

It seems to be pretty much the same. The only change was a little lip on the backside of the block to prevent the latch from going too far. Perhaps having a flying companion along for a few months until you regain full motion would be a possible solution.

canopy latch

I have trouble with both the old one and the new one so I carry a piece of 1/2 inch PVC about 10 inches long to assist me in moving the latch handle.

Back