What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can I use PPG over R-M?

SMO

Well Known Member
Friend
I need to paint one freshly skinned elevator. I have some R-M EP589 which is a chromate epoxy primer, and have used this in the past on aluminum parts. I am tempted to use this on my elevator.

I purchased some PPG MAE Acrylic Enamel from the local store - the only place around who can mix the color match I need. Here are my questions:

Can I use the PPG directly over the R-M primer?
Is there a product I should use between these two?
Should I forget about the R-M and use a PPG primer, and if so, which one?

Any help I can get with this will be appreciated. This is not a show plane by any means (otherwise I wouldn't be spraying this myself!), I just want the paint to stick.

Last edited:
ppg

Get some PPG DP epoxy primer and mix at the sealer ratio. Spray a sealer coat on very thin and spray you paint on top of that. Shouldn't be any problem after that.

Thanks for the response

If I understand you correctly, Bill, you are suggesting using the sealer over the R-M EP589? or do you mean I should just use the PPG DP epoxy primer directly on the aluminum?

I thought you already had the R-M EP589 applied. The DP primer would topcoat almost anything without compatibility issues or is fine as a stand alone primer.

Back