What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camloc Group Buy!!

2/10/05 Group Date

Cary,

The camlocs made by Milspec Products are adjustable. I've seen it with my own eyes.

http://www.scottsrv7a.com/camloc.htm

Group,

I did confirm with MilSpec that they would keep the 30% kit discount open to all VansAirforce RVers until 2/10/06. Even if you weren't previously on the list, you can call them direct and get the 30% kit discount (as long as you order before 2/10/06).

Thought that might be of benefit to those that may have missed the initial survey.

Scott

Order Placed

Scott,
I just placed my order with Jerome at Milspec.
Very helpful and happy to get the business.
The 30% savings is HUGH .......thanks so much!
I was kinda on the fence about what to buy and this was just the kick I needed to make the decision to "just do it"
Thanks again Scott for taking your time to do this.
Regards
Bob Martin
RV-6 flying
Louisa VA

Cowl fasteners

I'm interested in the complete kit for the RV-7. Please get back to me on the details. Not in a hurry.

Thanks, Ron

Camloc Deal of the Century

Just wanted to take the time to thank Scott (tx_Jayhawk) for his efforts in getting everyone such a fantastic deal from MilSpec on the CamLoc kits & Tools. Just found the original offer thread last night and got really excited until I got to the post saying he wanted all names by 1/9/06. Crap! thats what I get for not checking in enough. Well I kept reading along anyway till I got to the last page and found that the offer had been extended till 2/10/06.
I got a second chance with nine days to spare. What luck. Ordered mine today and the people at MilSpec couldn't have been nicer. I love to keep tabs on what's going on under the cowl and remove it often for inspection and I knew those piano hinges wouldn't hack it. Gee I wonder if Scott has some buddies at Garmin too? Thanks again Scott Haskins.

Yeah, thanks Scott. I started going down the road of installing the hinges on the cowl. It quickly became obvious that installing/removing the hinge pins would be real hassle, especially along the top curve and along the bottom edge around hot exhaust pipes. That plus reports of hinge loops breaking and hinge rivets pulling out of the cowl were enough to draw me away from (or is it to) the dark side. I just placed my order for camlocs around the firewall today.

Dave

Camlock spacing problem

There are now 2 threads going on this issue (the other one in the RV7 category) so I am sending the same post to both of them.

When Scott set out the deal for the group Camlock purchase he said on his website that the Milspec kits for the RV7(A) allowed for a 3" spacing. I felt that this was a reasonable dimension given reports from other builders that larger spacing had resulted in "pillowing" of the cowl between camlocks in flight. However on later reading in their instalation instructions that Milspec advocate a spacing of 3.5" to 4.0" I emailed them and asked them exactly what spacing their RV7 firewall kit would provide. They wouldn't tell me (or they didn't know). They simply responded by saying that the firewall kit had 26 camlocks and if I wanted more I could buy them.

My calculation is that 26 camlocks will provide a spacing of approx 4.3" (this is now going way beyond the 3" spacing that we were originally told) and that is not an acceptable spacing to me. So I have ordered an additional 4 camlocks to reduce the spacing to a more reasonable distance (closer to 3.5").

Others in the group buy might like to consider this situation.

Bob Barrow said:
There are now 2 threads going on this issue (the other one in the RV7 category) so I am sending the same post to both of them.

When Scott set out the deal for the group Camlock purchase he said on his website that the Milspec kits for the RV7(A) allowed for a 3" spacing. I felt that this was a reasonable dimension given reports from other builders that larger spacing had resulted in "pillowing" of the cowl between camlocks in flight. However on later reading in their instalation instructions that Milspec advocate a spacing of 3.5" to 4.0" I emailed them and asked them exactly what spacing their RV7 firewall kit would provide. They wouldn't tell me (or they didn't know). They simply responded by saying that the firewall kit had 26 camlocks and if I wanted more I could buy them.

My calculation is that 26 camlocks will provide a spacing of approx 4.3" (this is now going way beyond the 3" spacing that we were originally told) and that is not an acceptable spacing to me. So I have ordered an additional 4 camlocks to reduce the spacing to a more reasonable distance (closer to 3.5").

Others in the group buy might like to consider this situation.
To All,

O.K.! O.K.!

After hearing from a few of the builders regarding this fastener spacing / bulging / pillowing issue, I have decided to change all of the kits to include an additional 4 fasteners. This should give everyone enough to complete their cowling regardless of the style of support structure or spacing they choose to use on their particular airplane. You may even end up with a couple of extras to play with. This will bump the price of the kits sold after the Feb 10, 2006 deadline a little but, for those of you already involved in the group buy, just call me and I will send the extras out at the 30% discount and I will even pick up the ground shipping cost. That would make the cost for stainless Phillips head $5.71ea ($22.84 for 4ea). Slotted heads would be a few pennies less. Fair enough?

Thanks to everyone for using MilSpec Products on your aircraft.

Best regards,
Jeremy Summers
MilSpec Products, Inc.
31537 Long Acres Dr.
Sorrento FL 32776
Tel. 352-735-0065
Fax 352-735-0504
[email protected]
www.milspecproducts.com

Last edited:
Milspec Doubters

If anybody was sitting on the fence worried about Milspec Products being a dependable supportive company towards homebuilders that last responce by Jeremy should settle your minds. It doesn't get any better than that.

I am still just working on the wings of my 8A but wanted to get in on the group buy. I ordered the firewall kit only and received my order earlier this week. I promptly stowed them away until the time comes. Can anyone tell me if and how many more I need to order so as to get the recommended spacing? I am guessing the number may be different than for the -7 discussed earlier.

Also, I want to express my thanks to Scott and MilSpec for setting this up.

Thanks,

Just call

I think they have already figured this out. in fact milspec posted this afternoon. Just call them on monday and they will send you the additional parts at their cost if I remember right. Great people!

4" spacing

I used 4" spacing which required 26 Skybolts for the Cowl/Firewall attachment.
So far there is no scalloping between the camlocs, but the aircraft is yet to fly, let alone see VNE.
Pete.

Milspec recommended

I received my Milspec Camloks today and am very satisfied with the quality of the product. Milspec have proven themselves to be a very good company to deal with. In my case they answered technical questions promptly and courteously; they threw in extra fasteners at no extra cost; they delivered promptly; their documentation is good; and they did not debit my credit card until they were sending the goods.....what more could you possibly ask for.

I would highly recommend them to other builders considering Camloks.

Bob Barrow said:
I received my Milspec Camloks today and am very satisfied with the quality of the product. Milspec have proven themselves to be a very good company to deal with. In my case they answered technical questions promptly and courteously; they threw in extra fasteners at no extra cost; they delivered promptly; their documentation is good; and they did not debit my credit card until they were sending the goods.....what more could you possibly ask for.

I would highly recommend them to other builders considering Camloks.
Really, how many were we suppose to get and how much did you get for a full kit? I have not counted mine yet.

I ordered Camlocs during the group buy and have not received them yet . What is the delivery time?

Jim G

I was one of the last to be included in the buy and I received mine two weeks ago. You might want to make a call.

I talked to them a week or so ago ... placed my order on the last day. They have a little backlog because of volume. I told them to make me last as I am still on the wings and won't need them for a while. They have not charged my CC yet - said they wouldn't until they're ready to ship. I'd give them a ring to check it out.

Thomas
-8 wings

N184JG said:
I ordered Camlocs during the group buy and have not received them yet . What is the delivery time?

Jim G

I just got mine yesterday after 2.5 weeks. I had called Jeremy about a week ago and he apologized and said they had been swamped by this group buy but that mine had already shipped. Either give him a call or be patient another few days. I really enjoyed working with milspec on this--even though I don't need these things for at least a year!

On the other note re: how many--I know there were supposed to be four extra thrown in, but I haven't counted mine yet. They are all in a heat sealed bag. Jeremy had assured me there would be the extras, so I'm sure that they are there.

Aluminium Where to purchase

Got my Cam Loks. Very pleased. Now what size and type of Aluminium for the mounting strips and where to buy ?

Jeff

Back