What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bobby Osborne (Bobby's Planes & Parts)

txaviator

Well Known Member
My / our friend Bobby Osborne passed away from a heart attack back in February. (Bobby's Planes & Parts: Weatherford, TX)

I found out in a difficult way: I was leaving a voicemail for him on his recorder (asking if he had an O-200), when his wife picked up the phone- kind of in tears. I felt terrible when she told me the news, but of course I had no idea. The Osborne's were close friends of my grandparents back when they owned a private airport in Keller, TX. When Mrs. Osborne heard who I was (ie: the name recognition from knowing my grandparents) it seemed to lift her spirits a little bit.

My point to this, is that I wanted to let everyone know of this tragic news so that they aren't calling up to Bobby's and leaving messages like I unfortunately did. It just really seemed to upset his wife, and I can surely understand why. This was terribly sad news.

I am CERTAIN that hundreds of RV's are in the air as a direct result of either engines from Bobby, and/or parts. I have never seen so many engines in one place in my entire life. About two years ago Bobby sold out his engine business to a gentleman in Oklahoma. But for those who didn't know this sad news (and might have called Bobby), I just wanted to pass this along.

Tailwinds, Bobby! Rest in peace.

Take care,

Last edited:
I first met Bobby in the mid 70's when Jim Stugart and I were working on our BD4's. Jim and I had several wonderful visits to his airplane yard, which had several large metal building full of airplane parts of all kinds, all at good prices.

Later as we decided to put 180's in our project, we called up Bobby and ordered 2 major overhauled O-360's for $3600 each. It was 3 years later when I flew my BD out of the old Clover Field in South Houston. Unfortunately, on the 3rd flight, the prop governor line failed (old aluminim style) and I barely made it back to the airport, but managed to trash the engine.

I called Bobby and he said to bring the engine up to Ft Worth, which I did. About a month later he returned to Houston and delivered my newly overhauled engine, said thanks and drove off...

Back