What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Backorders not shipping

Karee Brinlee

Edit...
Just talked to parts and asked for more info. It appears they will start shipping back orders in a week or so as soon as they get the crating area lined out. Right now, it appears they do not have staff to do the crating but they are working on a plan.
I was also told they do not charge shipping on back order items.. YAY! I suppose It will be worth the wait.
They also did not increase the cost of my canopy frame so that is good news.

If is frustrating when we are ignored but I think they are doing all they can to manage the situation for a positive outcome.

I have had a canopy frame on order for months. It came it a month or more ago. I was told it would ship. Then the BK thing started. Then told it would ship. Then they said no back orders were shipping.
Then told if I wanted to pay shipping of 700.00 they would ship it.
I told them I would pay shipping with my own shipper and no response for two weeks.
I can get it shipped for 200.00 and I would do that saving them shipping when they ship it one day (in 6 months or so, who the **** knows).
That would save them the cost because for some reason, they say it ships for free when the back order goes out.
Can someone give me guidance.
Who could I talk to that can give me a straight answer.
KB

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a memo from Van’s a few years ago stating that they would only ship with carriers they deemed to be acceptable “ie” would stand behind damage claims and not accepting any other carries?
Back then a buddy of mine arranged his own pickup with an outside carrier. The paperwork wasn’t complete and the truck made at least three attempts to pick up his crate. Van’s always complains about lack of dock space and I thought my buddy might have had something to do with the change to carrier choice. And as Van’s stated in their memo he ended up not saving any money in the end.

I have another post similar to this. I have lots of backordered parts in my finishing kits. I saw that a few key, small pieces were in stock. So I bought them AGAIN to avoid the delay in backorder issues. The new purchases shipped right away.

Frustrated and disappointed.

I recently received the EMP kit for my RV-8A and it has just enough back ordered parts that I cannot get very far into the build. Any queries sent to Vans seeking advice as to when the B/O parts will ship has gone unanswered. I hope they resolve this soon.

I had hoped to give my build a jump in progress over the Christmas break, but sadly this will not be, a missed opportunity for me.

I have another post similar to this. I have lots of backordered parts in my finishing kits. I saw that a few key, small pieces were in stock. So I bought them AGAIN to avoid the delay in backorder issues. The new purchases shipped right away.

Frustrated and disappointed.

It's beyond disappointing, but it's also entirely predictable based on the content of their filing.

Their priority is to turn inventory into new cash. If they owe you something, a backordered part from way back when or an LCP replacement, then they get no new cash for shipping it out so they won't do that.

They'll ship it to someone who gives them new cash for it, even if that's the same person. If I were to place a new order for that finishing kit today, it'll likely be shipped before your backordered parts are.

If you're owed some parts you'll only get them once all other avenues of getting new cash for those parts have been exhausted. I'd say anyone who's owed parts has an absolutely minimum of six months to wait, possibly significantly longer.

It's beyond disappointing, but it's also entirely predictable based on the content of their filing.

Their priority is to turn inventory into new cash. If they owe you something, a backordered part from way back when or an LCP replacement, then they get no new cash for shipping it out so they won't do that.

They'll ship it to someone who gives them new cash for it, even if that's the same person. If I were to place a new order for that finishing kit today, it'll likely be shipped before your backordered parts are.

If you're owed some parts you'll only get them once all other avenues of getting new cash for those parts have been exhausted. I'd say anyone who's owed parts has an absolutely minimum of six months to wait, possibly significantly longer.

I expect there's a lot of truth in this. Unfortunate, but it's the reality we have.

I was going to call today about my back orders. About half are in stock. Was going to ask to switch to cheaper wheels and brakes that are in stock. Offer to pay shipping and maybe even some more. I need parts to make progress and at this point, paying a little out of pocket for them is worth it to me than to keep waiting. I’m hoping I can work with them and they can work with me on this but given the BK, they may not be allowed to make those types of decisions yet.

Has anyone heard any updates on backordered parts? I have a wing kit and Fuse kit that are both missing just enough parts to prevent me from building further. I would be happy to pick about 3 pieces and pay extra shipping to prioritize just so i can move the build forward.

I emailed them last week and the response I got back was that they can't see emails because they don't have access to zen desktop yet.

So you're saying no parts will be on backorder for new kit sales moving forward? All new kit purchases will be completely fulfilled and those of us waiting for backordered parts will have to wait ... until a surplus of those parts exist? Why would that be?

back orders

I have a canopy frame on B/O that is now in stock. At first, it was supposed to ship soon. I have not paid for it. They were going to charge my card when it shipped.
So, they could ship my back order and get money but they said the crating dept. is not working.

I did place two new orders recently that have already arrived. But, they were just smaller boxed parts.

KB

So you're saying no parts will be on backorder for new kit sales moving forward? All new kit purchases will be completely fulfilled and those of us waiting for backordered parts will have to wait ... until a surplus of those parts exist? Why would that be?

Has anyone heard any updates on backordered parts? I have a wing kit and Fuse kit that are both missing just enough parts to prevent me from building further. I would be happy to pick about 3 pieces and pay extra shipping to prioritize just so i can move the build forward.

I heard from Van's that the current plan is to not ship any back ordered parts at this time. I have no idea on how long this will be the case.

Super annoying because I have an empennage kit desperate for those missing parts to make any real progress on. I did consider just ordering new parts to match my back ordered parts, but none of the parts I needed were actually available in the webstore to buy. So for now we wait.

The challenging part is I will need to agree to the new pricing for the kits I don't have yet on the back of being delivered only partially complete kits. It's not a great look ...

I heard from Van's that the current plan is to not ship any back ordered parts at this time. I have no idea on how long this will be the case.

Did they offer any explanation regarding this? Backordered Van's manufactured parts, or 3rd party vendor parts?

Did they offer any explanation regarding this? Backordered Van's manufactured parts, or 3rd party vendor parts?

From the email I received ...

"as for the back orders, we are currently not shipping back orders at this time and will do so when we get the ok from upper management"

no further info provided.

back orders

Yep,
Same here. I would try and drive up there and pick up but it is a 60 hour round trip drive.

It is a back order ground hog day movie over and over and over.

My canopy frame is in stock now but I suppose they just can not bring themselves to simply ship it.

Frustrating.
KB

From the email I received ...

"as for the back orders, we are currently not shipping back orders at this time and will do so when we get the ok from upper management"

no further info provided.

So if we are not getting back ordered parts shipped, do we need to file a claim? I have not received any notice yet, I have about $3000 in back ordered parts (pre increase price).

So if we are not getting back ordered parts shipped, do we need to file a claim? I have not received any notice yet, I have about $3000 in back ordered parts (pre increase price).

Premature to bother with that until they tell us what their plan is in my opinion. The filing requirement date is quite a bit away and everything is sluggish through the holidays.

Same boat, here. RV-10 seats on backorder were valued at ~$7,000 when my Finish Kit was ordered. They now cost ~$18,000 through the store. If there is no definitive plan by mid-Feb, I guess my only hope is to file a claim (for their current value.)

Charging for Backorder from fuse kit

Just received email a few days ago that I owed on backordered parts that are now in, from my fuse kit a year ago. I called to ask why I owed but just said if I didn’t pay the backorder would be cancelled. So, of course, I paid. Chapter 11 wins out every time. Interesting I still could not convince them to ship in stock parts I ordered that would put thousands in their pocket vs the few $ of the backorder. The folks were very nice to talk to but they are in the dark as we are.

I got an email a few days ago as well about back ordered parts from my finishing kit being ready for shipping. They asked for a current address and credit card for shipping.

I got an email a few days ago as well about back ordered parts from my finishing kit being ready for shipping. They asked for a current address and credit card for shipping.

Did they ask for additional money for the parts themselves (that I assumed you already paid it full for?)

Did they ask for additional money for the parts themselves (that I assumed you already paid it full for?)

I specifically asked and first was told I owed for parts then they said the parts were paid for already so not sure why I owed but just had to pay or backorder would be cancelled. Just my experience.

House wins

I got an email from Vans today that some of my backorders items "have been released" for shipping.

I’ve been advised of a back ordered bag of AN Bolts that has shipped. No additional cost or shipping expense.
Now, I’ve only got seats and seat rails outstanding.

I’ve been advised of a back ordered bag of AN Bolts that has shipped. No additional cost or shipping expense.
Now, I’ve only got seats and seat rails outstanding.

Also have the seats outstanding (RV-10). Has *anyone* heard about the status of seats already paid in full but not shipped?

Data Point

We are owed back order parts for several kits. Today we received a tracking number something, but we don't know what. Can't be much as it's a small package.

FYI,
Mike

I THINK the only thing I have outstanding on back order from my fuselage kit are the seat rails. I received a shipping notice from fedex that a package was being sent to my address from Vans. I never received any notice from Vans about anything coming. The package is 5lbs and scheduled delivery is Monday. I’ll be out of town until Wednesday, but very curious to see if it’s the seat rails.

Patrick

I THINK the only thing I have outstanding on back order from my fuselage kit are the seat rails. I received a shipping notice from fedex that a package was being sent to my address from Vans. I never received any notice from Vans about anything coming. The package is 5lbs and scheduled delivery is Monday. I’ll be out of town until Wednesday, but very curious to see if it’s the seat rails.

Patrick

I am also scheduled to receive my seat rails on Monday. They actually called me because I have two addresses listed with them and they needed to confirm the ship address. Yes, it is the seat rails, 5 lbs, and that's the final B/O'd item I'm due on my Fuse kit. No extra charges. Now for those 33 LCPs...

I have some bags of parts, with many bearings, from my finishing kit still on back order. In addition, Van's still owes me wheels and brakes as well. It's a little bit of a mess, frankly. Parts were dribbling in until about 8 months ago, then the stream stopped. That's when I suspected they were in deep trouble.

I am surprised that people in this thread have received comm's from Van's that backordered parts are not shipping. It seems to me that the people you want to satisfy include those who are nearly done with a build but are in need of a few parts to finish a kit. I have been waiting for two years for some of the parts I have on backorder (they haven't been on backorder for two years, but the order is two years old.)

Patrick

It's the seat rails. I received mine yesterday, those and a bag of bearings for the wing kit.
should be the last BO item for the fuse kit. If I could get those LCPs I'm good to go :).
The fuse LCPs I'm told are scheduled to run in the next couple weeks though. So fingers crossed. maybe some toes too

I’ve been watching everyone’s progress and communications from Van’s, and am happy to see others are receiving their promised materials. Unfortunately, I am still missing one crucial and expensive item from my wing kits… my wing tips. No words yet. Fingers crossed, hopefully I’ll get some words soon.

Forgive me if my response looks a little out of sorts. First time posting…

I’ve been watching everyone’s progress and communications from Van’s, and am happy to see others are receiving their promised materials. Unfortunately, I am still missing one crucial and expensive item from my wing kits… my wing tips. No words yet. Fingers crossed, hopefully I’ll get some words soon.

I am waiting for the same. I ordered Aerosun VXi tips in July 2022 ($3,400). I’ve not heard anything about them since AirVenture 2023, and that last update was “we don’t know, call us after AirVenture.” I called three weeks later, and they still didn’t know. I’ve heard nothing since.

What model are you building? I have a set of RV-10 wingtips, untouched, that I don't need.

I am waiting for the same. I ordered Aerosun VXi tips in July 2022 ($3,400). I’ve not heard anything about them since AirVenture 2023, and that last update was “we don’t know, call us after AirVenture.” I called three weeks later, and they still didn’t know. I’ve heard nothing since.

There was an note from them on one of the threads. I guess they have been having problems with the actual wingtips being delivered by the Vendor to Vans - the lights are apparently done. Supposedly the RV10 carbon fiber wingtips have not passed QA as yet.

Contact Ryan at AeroLEDs. They are taking over production and distribution. I'm not sure when they will be ready, but was told an update should be coming soon. I ordered in July 2022 as well, but I'm not at the stage that I need them yet.

I don’t know how far along you are but vans recommends installing those at the very end.

There was an note from them on one of the threads. I guess they have been having problems with the actual wingtips being delivered by the Vendor to Vans - the lights are apparently done. Supposedly the RV10 carbon fiber wingtips have not passed QA as yet.

Contact Ryan at AeroLEDs. They are taking over production and distribution. I'm not sure when they will be ready, but was told an update should be coming soon. I ordered in July 2022 as well, but I'm not at the stage that I need them yet.

Thanks guys. To be clear, I purchased the tips through Vans in July 2022. Since Vans was unable to provide any tip information at or before AirVenture 2023, I spoke with Nate (CEO @ Aeroleds). My understanding is the money I gave Vans remained with Vans because the tips had not yet been produced.

At this point, my ~$3,600 ($3,400 + tax) seems to have disappeared in the shuffle and - to date - nobody has an answer.

I’ll give Ryan a call, but color me skeptical that this will end well. <sigh>

Edit: Spoke to Nate @ AeroLeds. As expected, Vans held those funds. I guess that money is also gone. Nate suggested AeroLeds may honor legacy prices for those affected.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. To be clear, I purchased the tips through Vans in July 2022. Since Vans was unable to provide any tip information at or before AirVenture 2023, I spoke with Nate (CEO @ Aeroleds). My understanding is the money I gave Vans remained with Vans because the tips had not yet been produced.

At this point, my ~$3,600 ($3,400 + tax) seems to have disappeared in the shuffle and - to date - nobody has an answer.

Edit: Spoke to Nate @ AeroLeds. As expected, Vans held those funds. I guess that money is also gone. Nate suggested AeroLeds may honor legacy prices for those affected.

I'm surprised Van's took your money in full? I ordered mine around the same time and they didn't even ask for a deposit. They've been shown in my account as B/O'd the entire time. At the time, if you ordered through AeroLED's, you had to provide a $500 deposit, but Van's did not require this, so I placed my order through them.

I'm surprised Van's took your money in full? I ordered mine around the same time and they didn't even ask for a deposit. They've been shown in my account as B/O'd the entire time. At the time, if you ordered through AeroLED's, you had to provide a $500 deposit, but Van's did not require this, so I placed my order through them.

I ordered the tips at the same time I ordered my wing, fuselage, and empennage kits. The tips were $3,395 if purchased through Vans at that time. Vans included the $3,395 for the tips in the final payment invoice for my wing kit.

That's interesting. I ordered mine from AeroLED. I was invoiced by them and paid them the 50% downpayment 8/22. First I heard Vans was involved was during this ch 11 process. As far as I know AeroLED has my funds.

Data Point:

RV-10 SB.

Received some finish kit BO parts today. No request for additional funds.

- Door handle assemblies (2)
- Axle flange (1)
- Bags (2)
- U-01407 Elastomer pad(?)
- Nose gear link assembly
- Seat rail set

Original order about 2 years ago.

FYI,
Mike

That's interesting. I ordered mine from AeroLED. I was invoiced by them and paid them the 50% downpayment 8/22. First I heard Vans was involved was during this ch 11 process. As far as I know AeroLED has my funds.
If you ordered from AeroLEDS and paid an invoice from them, you’re probably fine.

In my case, I ordered the Aerosun VXi tips from Van’s as part of a $3,395 promotion at OSH 22. The tip cost was included in the final payment request & invoice for my wing kit.

I guess this puts me in a situation similar to those with paid engines & avionics (albeit at an obviously lower amount).

Vans called me today about shipping my rv-12 finish kit back orders. Aside from entering a typo in the address with FedEx… I wasn’t asked to send more money. My grove wheels and brakes were not included though. Should be here Saturday so we will see if they arrive with the address misspelling.

Vans called me today about shipping my rv-12 finish kit back orders. Aside from entering a typo in the address with FedEx… I wasn’t asked to send more money. My grove wheels and brakes were not included though. Should be here Saturday so we will see if they arrive with the address misspelling.

I think lots of folks are waiting on Grove wheels and brakes. That's all I am missing from my finish kit as well. Not sure which side of the coin the problem is Grove or Vans, or both. I haven't seen Grove on the creditor list but haven't looked through all 1800+ either. Did notice that some AN bolts on an invoice had a 45 to 50 week lead time from supplier to Vans and that was in 2023! There still is significant supply chain issues gumming up the works. I am sure we will hear more about 3rd party suppliers not delivering during the Management Conference today and the creditors meeting. I hope to learn more about power plant deposits and issues, beside just backordered parts.

I think lots of folks are waiting on Grove wheels and brakes.
I think you're right. When I spoke with them last winter, the 6.00-6 wheels and brakes I wished to purchase had a 90 wait, direct, not through Vans.

Back