What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AntiSplat Aero Gust Lock

DJP

Well Known Member
I have purchased several of the AntiSplat Aero products for my RV-10 over the years and have had a lot of success. That was until now. I recently bought the Gust Lock for my RV-10 but had problems installing it right from the get go. First the unit would not fit over the rudder pedals as it shows in the drawings or on the video on their website. I tried every possible way to fix the situation but nothing worked. So then I decided to try it on the copilots side and sure enough it went on just fine and I thought everything was OK. That was until I tried to install the special collar on the control stick for RV-10 aircraft. No way was it going to fit, it seems like my stick, which is strictly stock from a slow build kit, is too large for the collar to go around. In the picture instructions it shows that collar going completely around the stick. Mine doesn't even come close. I took a couple of pictures of the situation but I have no idea how to post them on this tread. Has anyone else run into the same problem putting the collar on the control stick?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gpT4LqWY47ZsP9cSWuRdwI8ZPtIpUt7w/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13KRTo_FctP-1m2-3YW9o7H8GJdbHd2kk/view?usp=sharing

What did Alan say when you called him about it? My experience...he'll bend over backwards to fix this problem for you.

AntiSplat Gust lock

Allen was out of town but I did talk to him about it. When he gets back on Monday he will get back to me about the problem. I was just curious if anyone else had ever had the same problem with the collar.

Nor on mine.

You do have to be careful fitting the fork ends over the rudder pedal crossbars to make sure they are in the right spots each time, or they won't seat properly. This sometimes takes me several tries because it's kinda dark down there in the footwell.

Nor on mine.

You do have to be careful fitting the fork ends over the rudder pedal crossbars to make sure they are in the right spots each time, or they won't seat properly. This sometimes takes me several tries because it's kinda dark down there in the footwell.

Yep, same for me. Stock setup, and works like a champ. I actually set it not so tight, so I can install it before I even get out of the plane. There will be a gap and it will be tight.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.jpg
    IMG_4395.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I had to file the forks a bit to get them to fit over my rudder pedal tubing— manufacturing tolerances and all that. As with the others, no issues fitting the collar to my stick.

AntiSplat Gust lock

The main problem is NOT with the forks but with the collar on the control stick. If you can see the pictures that I attached in the first thread, the two halves don't even come close to going around the stick.

Have you tried to actually put the screws in and tighten them down? As long as the collar clamps and doesn’t move and the gust lock fits over it and you can insert the locking pin, the two pieces really don’t need to touch like the pic in the instructions shows.

Last edited:
AntiSplat Gust lock situation resolved

I am happy to report that my EMERGENCY is over! Today I took a dial micrometer out to my airplane and measured the diameter of the control stick and compared it to the size of the hole in the collar that goes on the stick, they were exactly the same. I started thinking about that. If the control stick was completely straight, obviously the collar would fit over it without issue. The problem in this case is that the sick is NOT straight and has a curve to it which should change the size of the hole in collar to a larger size to accommodate the curve or to somehow bore the hole in the collar with the same amount of curve as the stick. Since I now knew that the hole in the collar and the diameter of the stick were the same, I knew that a lot of force would be needed to tighten the collar onto the curved stick. I slowly tightened the two machine screws little by little and eventually got the collar on with the two halves touching in the back but not completely in the front, the instruction sheet shows them touching in the front and the back. The rest of the setup was a piece of cake.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yf78tI-svBeXUcOmi3Se68AEDPRjkffP/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1au7IC684zsDHlEajXQUYkCEGb55N9Kzg/view?usp=sharing

Back