What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair

ColoRv

Well Known Member
I finished my RV8 eight years ago. There are very few things I would change if I were to build another one, but one of those things is the Andair boost pump. Three failures in 8 years, back ordered all the time and this current one so many months I had to switch to another vendor.

Those familiar with the RV8, imagine the joy of changing how the boost pump is mounted along with the lines....in a finished plane. A nightmare.

At this point, if I build another RV I likely won't even use their fuel selector which is an excellent piece. I despise that British communication blackout company so much right now I would rather put the Vans Brass POS in than give Andair another penny.

Ok, back to head down into the forward baggage....sorry for the rant, stay away from their boost pumps .

The brass fuel valve is a great valve, why do you call it POS? They work great and last decades with zero maintenance. Had one in my plane since 1984 no problems except replaced the o-ring ten years ago.

Why not move the pump to a more acesssable spot?

The brass fuel valve is a great valve, why do you call it POS? They work great and last decades with zero maintenance. Had one in my plane since 1984 no problems except replaced the o-ring ten years ago.

Why not move the pump to a more acesssable spot?

+1

Very effective and reliable part with a great history. It may not be attractive, but definitely not a POS.

Same here, three Andair pumps, one failed completely having me stranded, the others making noise and had to be sent back. Now the Ethanol SB although I was told ten years ago they are good for anything (any fuel). Seven days for the repair was "advertised", it is now already six weeks with no real hope for a soon delivery. Right now I also experience the communication blackout.
The pump is small, lightweight and easy to install and I really like it but I probably also go with a different vendor the next time.

I second their poor Comms. I ordered the valve four months ago and sent a follow up email last month asking for an update.

Crickets.

+1

Very effective and reliable part with a great history. It may not be attractive, but definitely not a POS.

I always thought the Vans valve looked a little outdated but otherwise was a solid, reliable valve.

Is there any info on what the failure modes have been? Given the evident lack of communication from the company, it’s probably worthwhile that we update one another on what to look out for.

Regards,

Tom.
RV-7

Yep, appalling comms but they did pick up the phone when I called them.

I’ve seen other fuel valves that looked just as nice, but the name of the manufacturer escapes me. Andair can’t be the only company making aesthetically pleasing fuel valves?!

Is there any info on what the failure modes have been? Given the evident lack of communication from the company, it’s probably worthwhile that we update one another on what to look out for.

Regards,

Tom.
RV-7

Totally agree - should I order a spare? Consider changing to one of the other options, like the AFP?

https://airflowperformance.com/index.php/product/auxiliary-pump-assembly/

Auxiliary-Pump-Assy-e1518915928498.jpg

If (when?) mine fails, I really don't want to be grounded for weeks.

Totally agree - should I order a spare? Consider changing to one of the other options, like the AFP?

https://airflowperformance.com/index.php/product/auxiliary-pump-assembly/

View attachment 50895

If (when?) mine fails, I really don't want to be grounded for weeks.

I know the dilemma.. Mine broke even before my first flight... So I used the one of Olivier (RV-14 in LFSB). I think the guys in Birrfeld even have a spare for grounded ones.... Or they at least thought about it..

Been 15 months since I ordered my fuel pump and still didn’t get it.
Asked for a refund and was denied.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY

Total Scam. Money considered Lost.

I always thought the Vans valve looked a little outdated but otherwise was a solid, reliable valve.
I bought an anodized lever that replaces vans fuel selector valve lever. It looks good and the selector valve has lasted 14 years so far.

I bought an anodized lever that replaces vans fuel selector valve lever. It looks good and the selector valve has lasted 14 years so far.
I wish I knew the real reason why the shipping and communication is an issue with Andair. It didnt start with Covid---its been going on since I started in 2010. The valves are fabulous. Pumps not so much, as we've heard of numerous failures, especially in RV14s where Vans choose them as the original equipment pump. I'm NOT bashing Andair, but Vans decision to switch from the AFP pump to the andair on the 14s was puzzing to me. We were told (dont remember by who) that an AFP install on a 14 couldnt be done. So after being contacted by a client that was AOG, we designed an install package with a bracket to retrofit the pump. Nevertheless, that doesnt solve the communication and shipping issues. Perhaps they are really busy with other things, and dont have the personnel to do the communication.
As for alternatives, the Newton vavle is ok, although it will need custom plumbing for most installs. The brass valve that Vans has is made by several companies, ( Imperial, Anderson, and Edelmann I think) and does work well. Not sexy, not pretty, but very functional. And you can find them everywhere, even the aviation aisle at most hardware stores and auto parts stores.

The "brass" valves had some issues a while back when there was galling of the brass ball inside. Other or later models have a UHMW (I think) ball that is smoother and mine has lasted for many years.

I'm up to 5 emails checking on the status of my fuel valve that was ordered last June. No response as of yet. Communication prior to the order was great????

I'm up to 5 emails checking on the status of my fuel valve that was ordered last June. No response as of yet. Communication prior to the order was great????
The surest way to contact Andair is by telephone. They are friendly on the phone and pretty responsive.

The surest way to contact Andair is by telephone. They are friendly on the phone and pretty responsive.
I’ve had the same experience. An email went unanswered so I called (slightly after hours - oops) but Andy still answered and promised a response the next day. I got an email from Jenny, as promised, with an estimated shipping range. It has since come and gone (by a couple weeks) but I’m still hopeful.

I’ve had the same experience. An email went unanswered so I called (slightly after hours - oops) but Andy still answered and promised a response the next day. I got an email from Jenny, as promised, with an estimated shipping range. It has since come and gone (by a couple weeks) but I’m still hopeful.
+1 -- Never had an email answered but had no problem getting through by phone and getting a response

I have to echo the same thought on getting in touch with them. My emails went unanswered. I was patient, and eventually got an email indicating my valve was ready to ship. I emailed back, and nothing. So, I called, and it was shipped out the next day. Call them if you need a response. Besides, it's alway fun hearing that british accent.

Today I was asked to pay for my Andair FS2020 fuel valve. It was ordered in June 2023 with a 24 week lead time - 6 months. The actual lead time was 9 months - I’m glad they’ve finally given birth to a healthy duplex and let’s see how long shipping from the UK takes.

Shipping will be quick. I thought I had at least 2 weeks to receive my FS2020 (2021) and it arrived in Florida a week before I arrived. Was sent back to England and arrived back a week after I arrived. Fittings ordered in 2022 arrived 8 days after ordering. Recently wing root filters (Highly recommend) shipped 2 days after ordering and arrived within a week. It seems once they are ready to ship (Or parts in stock) delivery occurs quickly.

BTW I am surprised you did not need to pay for parts at time of order. I am pretty sure I did for all 3 FS2020's I ordered.......

I put my order in via an email with Jenny. The valve/fitting combination I needed was not an option via the website. At the time I ordered, she provided an order confirmation, and said I will be asked for payment when the valve is ready. That is exactly how it worked. That said, it took forever, and I ended up calling to complete the transaction.

Update - Called Andair and they quickly determined that my order would ship in about three weeks.

1 of my 2 selector valves just shipped. The fs2020 duplex ordered second and shipped first the other(fs20), hopefully soon. But I had a custom panel ordered so it’ll be awhile. I picked one up from vans that I’m using and the duplex was for a system I might someday get an email saying the system is ready. Both ordered in August 2023 and was told lead time of 20 weeks. Not one email was responded to and I sent a lot just to see if they would.

Maybe a naive question. But what makes the "aviation boost pumps" so special? I mean any automotive boost pump does the same thing all day long and Bosh makes them by the millions... even if you were concerned about failure we could just have one for each tank? Just thinking out loud. Please educate me.

Maybe a naive question. But what makes the "aviation boost pumps" so special? I mean any automotive boost pump does the same thing all day long and Bosh makes them by the millions... even if you were concerned about failure we could just have one for each tank? Just thinking out loud. Please educate me.
The AFP pump is an auto pump....with a nice bypass built around it.

The AFP pump is an auto pump....with a nice bypass built around it.
Good to know. I guess the bypass and filter service makes them a 500$ part. Thank you!
I always like using parts that are widely available. If I used a pump for 50$ I would probably just have a spare unit laying around rather than waiting for 6 weeks and shipping half way around the world. But ofc the Fuel system is very important so it is one area not to reinvent the wheel...

The andair fuel pump is provided in the Van’s kits for some/many models. I can only speak for the RV-14.

Back