What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AKZO question

scsmith

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to buy some AKZO. I've used it before and I really like it. But I can not remember if I bought the reducer or not. I vaguely remember that it was about the right 'thinness' to spray directly mixed and I didn't need to reduce it. Is that right?

The reducer is pretty expensive, and if I can get by without it, I'll be happy.

I think in checking the search for past threads I found someone that had thinned it with lacquer thinner. Is that right? Surely not totally kosher, but hey, it is just primer on the interior of parts. Seems like any solvent that will flash off before the epoxy cures would have little effect on final properties.

I didn’t use the reducer.. I mixed 50/50, let sit for 30 minutes, then strained and sprayed.

I didn’t use the reducer.. I mixed 50/50, let sit for 30 minutes, then strained and sprayed.
Likewise - I have never used the reducer and mixed it the same. The need for the reducer may depend on temp, humidity, gun settings if spraying, and other environment-related conditions, but even in Denver's dry climate I have never needed to use the reducer. But it does dry pretty fast once applied. As an extra data point - although the 2 part epoxy is only supposed to have a 2 year shelf life, I have used it after being 5 plus years old and I still got good results with adhesion and coverage. YMMV.

+1. We are as novice as it comes and the application was easy. Prep? Not as bad as what's been posted.

Best of luck!
Mike

Likewise - I have never used the reducer and mixed it the same. The need for the reducer may depend on temp, humidity, gun settings if spraying, and other environment-related conditions, but even in Denver's dry climate I have never needed to use the reducer. But it does dry pretty fast once applied. As an extra data point - although the 2 part epoxy is only supposed to have a 2 year shelf life, I have used it after being 5 plus years old and I still got good results with adhesion and coverage. YMMV.
Same results for me. I've never needed to use the reducer, over a wide range of temperature and humidity. However, the base tends to settle in the can, so I always put it on a shaker for a couple of minutes before starting the mixing. I store mine in a refrigerator, since my workshop temperatures can approach 50C, and still get the same results well after the nominal shelf life. Also, refrigerating the mixed primer can extend pot life to more than a day without problems.

Yes, I also have found that it continues to perform well way beyond the published pot life. I suppose it wouldn't meet the mil-spec standard because of the deviation in process, but I bet it got the two year limit for that spec because they didn't want to bother testing it any older, as large production shops would go through it fast enough that it would never be an issue.

Thanks everyone for the positive reinforcement of my memory - no reducer needed.

I always just pull the SDS on the reducer to see what the main component is and buy that. Lacquer thinner works most of the time in a pinch. Toluene is common as well. But Akzo shoots well with no reduction.

Back