What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Torque Tube - Section 23 - An alternative method.

DanNiendorff

Well Known Member
I just finished up section 23 - the aileron actuation. I think there may be a little room for improvement in the methods for fitting the torque tube (pg 23-07), so I though I would post an alternative method for future builders to consider. Some builders may already be fitting it this way, but I could not find any post on it, and it is not referenced in the RV-14 Wiki, so here it is......

The step consists of fitting the two torque tube ends (CS-00009 & WD-1014) onto a central joining collar (CS-00009b). The instructions guide the builder to make the sum of the three joined sections equal to 451.2 (+/- 0.4) mm. Depending on available tools, that degree of precision might be a challenge. The tube ends will seat in bearings on the front and rear spar, with any error in length requiring a washer shim to minimize unintended forces being applied to the spars. Of course the washer shim sizes are limited to 0.063 and 0.032 which is probably fine. But why setup for measurement error and then correct it?

An alternative method would be complete the CS-00009 and WD-1014 (ie: rivet in the rod ends), and mount them into the wing root with the undrilled CS-00009b nesting between them. The CS-00009 and WD-1014 rod ends would then be secured to the bearings with nuts, and the CS-00009b could be match drilled in place, with its length perfectly defined, which would eliminate any shims, and guarantee no unnecessary stresses applied to the front and rear spar.

Using this method would make clocking the CS-00009 and WD-1014 slightly more difficult, but not extremely so. The current instructions provide for a flat surface and a spacer block to define the clocking. If done in place on the wing, a flat piece of plywood with a cut out for the spar and a spacer block glued or nailed in the right place would do the exact same thing - just in a vertical plane rather than horizontal.

Anyhow - this is how I would do it if I did it again. The existing method worked out for me fine. But I think this way is more likely to guarantee a good result. Just my two cents.

If others agree that this would be worthwhile, perhaps it could be added to the RV-14 Wiki.

My take is that the clocking/offset is the most critical so the procedure in the manual is designed to make that accurate. The length can be shimmed so it's less critical.

My take is that the clocking/offset is the most critical so the procedure in the manual is designed to make that accurate. The length can be shimmed so it's less critical.
I agree.
The clocking angles have an influence on being able to properly adjust the differential deflection angles on the ailerons.

I agree with your feeling that drilling to a dimensions doesn't make sense, when you have a perfectly good wing to fit off!

Rather than drilling in situ on the wing however, i just marked the joining collar at the stated dimension, then took it to the wing and marked the joining collar with the torque arms seated into the bearings. I included one thin washer at each end. I then took it back to the bench, set it up to the marked dimension from wing fitting and clocked as per the plans instructions, then drilled. Worked great for me - zero slop at all. Once side was exactly on the planned dimension, one needed to be slightly shorter (which would have been an issue had i not had this approach to it).

I agree that the clocking angle is of primary importance. But clocking and a perfect length can both be achieved. The clocking is achieved by using a flat surface with a gauge block..... but there is no need for that flat surface to be a table top. It could easily be done on the wing. I don't think there is a need to choose between perfect clocking and perfect length. They can both be achieved.

I believe that the method described would be a more reliable way to achieve the intended dimensions and avoid unnecessary clamping force on the spars - as the shims are an imperfect method.

Back