What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS Version 5

Jkkinz

Well Known Member
Now that Oshkosh has officially started, could someone give a report on the AFS Version 5 software upgrade. Rob said on his site that it gives a different look to the screen but nothing specific would be given until Oshkosh.

thanks
Jim Kinsey
7A Fuselage

Alton,

Your reply got me all excited...I thought someone was giving an update. You are right, we can at least keep it on the top of the pile.

Jim Kinsey
Fuselage
Planning panel

Here is a very quick summary of what is new with the version 5 software:

AFS Enhanced EFIS Features

1. Enhanced Graphical G Meter with markers for min and max left of airspeed.
2. Enhanced Airspeed display with rolling digits.
3. new True Airspeed display box
4. Settable airspeed bug, knob or press knob to set to current.
5. Enhanced Altitude display with rolling digits and 500 ft markers.
6. Density Altitude display
7. Settable altitude bug, knob or hold knob to set to current.
8. Patent Pending circular DG Display
9. Enhanced Pitch display including de-cluttering rolling digital pitch markers
10. Wind indicator including speed, direction and crosswind component.
11. Automatic barometer adjustment for saved field elevation.
12. New style SD card status ICON
13. New style Battery status icon.
14. Split Screen for Check lists, no more loosing EFIS during check lists.

AFS Navigation Features
15. GPS driven HSI display including:
a. Track, Course, Waypoint ID, CDI, distance to WP, bearing to WP
b. NMEA and Aviation format serial data decoding.
16. SL30 NAV Radio driven HSI display including:
a. Current OBS display
b. OBS settable from EFIS display to SL30
c. Primary Frequency display
d. Nav source decoding
e. Bearing to active and bearing to standby.
17. SL30 NAV Radio Glide slope and Localizer display.
18. SL30 Radio comm. and nav radio tuning, the EFIS will pass through any GPS sent radio frequencies to the SL30 standby frequency.

AFS Moving Map Features
19. Unique Full Screen Map with Airspeed, Altitude and Engine Monitor display.
20. Split Screen Map, EFIS, Engine Monitor display.
21. AFS proprietary database.
22. Public and Private Airports
23. Obstacles and towers.
24. Airspace and vertical boundaries are drawn on the screen.
25. Intersections.
26. VOR?s
27. State lines
28. Airport Info display including:
a. Runway drawing
b. Traffic pattern
c. Frequencies
d. Fuel Info
e. Field Elevation
f. Pattern Altitude
29. Direct TO navigation lets the user select the airport using the data entry knob, automatically filters airports for remaining codes.
30. Nearest navigation brings up the closest 10 airports using the current zoom level.
31. Map displayed flight plan can be from external GPS or internally selected airport.
32. Display of current: way point: ID, distance and ground speed.
33. User adjustable zoom level with zoom scale arc display.

www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Products/AF-3000/AFS EFIS V5 Split screen.jpg

www.advanced-flight-systems.com

More pictures to follow, soon.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems

Last edited:
plays well with others?

quote:
31. Map displayed flight plan can be from external GPS or internally selected airport.

does this mean that the efis has some meaningful interaction with something like a 430/480/530? flight plans cross fill? any more info in this area that you can share with us who weren't able to make it to osh?

cj
proud desktop pilot of current version AF3500
fuse/finishing

conlimon said:
quote:

does this mean that the efis has some meaningful interaction with something like a 430/480/530? flight plans cross fill? any more info in this area that you can share with us who weren't able to make it to osh?

cj
proud desktop pilot of current version AF3500
fuse/finishing
If you connect an RS-232 out on your 430/480/530 to the AFS3500 GPS in (Serial #1), then configure the 430/480/530 port as "Aviation Data." This will dynamically send flight plan data to the AFS 3500.

This should be available with the forthcoming ARINC 429 interface also which I'm anxiously awaiting so I would be able to use the AFS 3500 as an HSI for the VHF Nav portion of the 430.

that's unusual right?

it's unusual for an efis to be able to cross fill flight plan info from a garmin GPS right? i know the chelton doesn't do it. i just want to make sure i'm getting excited for good reasons.

cj

conlimon said:
it's unusual for an efis to be able to cross fill flight plan info from a garmin GPS right? i know the chelton doesn't do it. i just want to make sure i'm getting excited for good reasons.

cj

Not unusual CJ - I look at the GNS 430 flight plan on my GRT EFIS all the time, and can copy the external plan to the internal one whenever I like! I can fly to either the external or internal as well, and frequently have two different ones for "what if" purposes.

Paul

aahhh...

interesting! i didn't know that the GRT did that. i was erroneously under the impression that integration with the Garmin GPS products was kind of limited. not sure why i thought that. what about remote tuning, etc? is that where integration starts to fall off? sorry about the idiot questions, but it's kinda fun to run into a little area where you missed something fundamental.

cj
RV-10 fuse/finishing
www.perfectlygoodairplane.net

Remote tuning (com and nav frequencies) from the GRT efis to the GNS430 is not possible.

I wonder if there's a bit of misunderstanding going on? they won't feed a flight plan into GPS.. only from GPS into the EFIS.. so I guess it depends what we consider "cross-fill"

GPS sends out flight plan info over serial port.. so whoever's listening on the other end can pick it up...like AFS and GRT do..

I had posted this picture to another thread so I though I would add it here.

This is the Version 5 screen (minus the GPS needles):
af3500a.jpg

This is the old screen:
af3500a1.jpg

display flight plan from chelton?

so here's my new query... I have a dual chelton and an AF3500, and I was perusing the install manual for the chelton and there's a section that says:

"The EFIS emulates a Bendix/King KLN-90B GPS system using the COM09 transmitter in addition to the remote tuning device described above. When activated, the EFIS provides GPS flight plan data that can be displayed on other manufacturer's equipment; including the MX-20, KMD-550, and Avidyne FlightMax, etc."

is this NMEA or Aviation data that the AF3500 eats? could i have my current flight plan in the Chelton displayed on the map screen of my AF3500?

I'm in the midst of trying to maximize integration in the cockpit, and in a funny way the answer to this question could possibly influence my choice of GPS. (don't ask if you don't want a 5000 word essay!)

thanks in advance for info from people who are smarter than me!

cj (possibly exposing my lack of understanding)
RV-10 #40410
fuse/finishing
www.perfectlygoodairplane.net

conlimon said:
so here's my new query... I have a dual chelton and an AF3500, and I was perusing the install manual for the chelton and there's a section that says:

"The EFIS emulates a Bendix/King KLN-90B GPS system using the COM09 transmitter in addition to the remote tuning device described above. When activated, the EFIS provides GPS flight plan data that can be displayed on other manufacturer's equipment; including the MX-20, KMD-550, and Avidyne FlightMax, etc."

is this NMEA or Aviation data that the AF3500 eats? could i have my current flight plan in the Chelton displayed on the map screen of my AF3500?
Sounds like Aviation data to me. You should be OK either way as I believe the AF-3500 supports both Aviation and NMEA. (Rob?)

AFS V5 released on site

http://www.advanced-flight-systems.com/Support/support.html

I noticed last night that V5 is now available for download. Did it, followed instructions and 3min later up and running. Wow a few good enhancements in there, the photo's posted before are just a start. The check lists on split screen are a boost for sure, and the ticker tapes just much crisper to read. Entering bugs (not software bugs!) is also easier, just push the knob to get the one of 4 variables to set. Hdg, Alt, Spd, Baro. There's been quite a bit of thought gone into this update I would say. Havne't flowen it yet, my RV's a few months away from that, but ground impressions 1st class. Well done Rob and Co. Haven't seen the map yet but not being in the US this probably won't worry me for a while.

Now where's the 429 and also analogue nav interfaces for us with older radio setups?

Also had good luck with download

Like Ian, I downloaded version 5 on to an SD card (through my printer's photocard slot nonetheless!) and it worked great. Even more impressive to me was how easy this was!

It took me no more than 10 minutes from the time I decided to do the update to the time the update was complete, and I'm slow at doing this stuff. I also like the composite checklist page/basic instrument page. Good stuff!

Way to go Rob . . . keep em coming!

AFS Web Site updated

It has been a busy weekend,

1. We have updated our web site with the latest pictures and the current manual. www.advanced-flight-systems.com

2. Travis our production engineer got married.

3. We have the new AFS Forum up and running and we will make it public on Wednesday after I get back from a business trip to Duluth.

4. My middle son Brian skipped school on Friday and Monday so he could fly in my neighbors Bonanza to Lake Tahoe. He then spent the rest of the weekend Boating, Sailing, Hiking; Reno Air Races and sending picture messages back to the rest of us home in the rain.

5. My 16 year old son Jeffrey and I actually got the tail cone on our RV-10 fuselage, next year we all will be able to go in the RV-10 to Tahoe/Reno :)
Sincerely,

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N401RH RV-4 N402RH RV-10 with tail cone.

Lead times

Hi Rob,

Sounds like good things are happening to AFS :). I have two 3400 units on order through pacific coast avionics. What I miss is real info on lead times. Can you please update us with that info?

Also I really like the new moving map, but only the US is supported. Are there plans for using a world wide database, jeppesen maybe?

______
Regards
Christian Thygesen
Denmark
RV-8 QB - status: firewall forward

Map Upgrade!

I installed the map upgrade on my AF3500 (not flying yet) and i'm very impressed. This is a very capable unit! it just keeps getting better and better. i tried to snap some pics of the different screen layouts on my site here:

http://www.perfectlygoodairplane.net/Perfectlygoodairplane/Super sweet AF3500.html

the first 5 or so pics are the old software, and the rest are the new version 5 software. hope Rob doesn't mind me posting them.

cj

Back