What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AFS GPS Issue

Sandrews

Well Known Member
New to me install. Garmin 480W hooked to an AFS 5600. Have an AFS Arinc 429 wired between the 5600 and 480. I’m getting GPS input to the 480 but it’s not pushing to the 5600. I’ve double checked connections. I believe I’ve got the configuration setup correct on the 480 end, but is there ARINC configuration on the 5600 end? Is there a way to test if data is being pushed?

Thanks

New to me install. Garmin 480W hooked to an AFS 5600. Have an AFS Arinc 429 wired between the 5600 and 480. I’m getting GPS input to the 480 but it’s not pushing to the 5600. I’ve double checked connections. I believe I’ve got the configuration setup correct on the 480 end, but is there ARINC configuration on the 5600 end? Is there a way to test if data is being pushed?

Thanks

Make sure you read the current installation manual. There are sample schematics and configuration settings. There should be two circuits, one arinc and one rs-232. It takes both for everything to work properly.

If you install the 16.10.* that was just posted to the AfS web site, there are several diagnostic tools. There is a tool that allows you to see arinc data being transmitted. Another tool allows you log serial data off a specific port.

Thanks Bob. I’ll go through the manual again. I believe I’m referencing the most current install manual. I’ll check out the diagnostic tools as well.

Thanks

If you call AFS you will usually get tech support on the phone. If you don’t leave a message and they will get back to you quickly. Their customer support is the best!

If when you say 'Garmin 480W' you mean Garmin GNS 480 (Apollo CNX 80) then you may benefit from this document from Dynon regarding 3rd party connections to their Skyview (ignore the pin numbers as the may not match AFS). You need two ARINC Out lines from the 480, one for GPS and another for VOR/ILS. Then an ARINC In pair to the 480 from the EFIS.

The 480 also needs an altitude encoder input on its RS232 channel 8 serial input (Connector P5 pin 30 high density).

Attachments

• Skyvier 3rd Partry Device 480.pdf
    340.7 KB · Views: 20
Thank you. That’s helpful. I’ll dig into that. I’m not using any of the Dynon SV equipment in the installation. In this case it’s the AF-ARINC and not the SV-ARINC.

I don’t have an altitude encoder input to the 480. On the 480 I’m getting a “fuel/air date communications failure” caution that pops up. Would the lack of Alt input explain this caution?

Thanks

Thank you. That’s helpful. I’ll dig into that. I’m not using any of the Dynon SV equipment in the installation. In this case it’s the AF-ARINC and not the SV-ARINC.

You’ll want to upgrade as soon as your budget allows.

The AF-ARINC is functional, but it is end of life. I don’t believe there have been any codes changes in quite a while. All the new code changes will be on the sv-arinc.

One of the enhancements is being able to see holds drawn on the map.

I don’t have an altitude encoder input to the 480. On the 480 I’m getting a “fuel/air date communications failure” caution that pops up. Would the lack of Alt input explain this caution?

Thanks

That should be coming from one of the serial ports on the 5600. That’s one of the reasons you really need to understand the 480 specific schematic and the associated configuration settings in the installation manual.

The error could be an open circuit or mid-configuration.

Was this ever working? If it was, did you do an OS upgrade recently? While rare, OS upgrades have been known to reset configs back to default settings.

To get rid of the “fuel/air date communications failure” go to the Ground Maintenance mode, Serial Setup, and select the RX channel that shows FADC, and then switch it to None. Attached is an early version of my setup before I "fixed" the same failure.

p.s. There is an io.group for GNS 480 users with a wealth of information on the box. https://gns480-users.groups.io/g/main

Attachments

• 20220607_Gnd Maint Serial.jpg
    20220607_Gnd Maint Serial.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 13
Back