What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

About "Interference" When Removing Bottom Cowl ...

HFS

Well Known Member
If you have this situation, you know who you are, and what a pain it is to see all your hard work get scratched up when removing/installing the lower cowling half!

If you have to make (hard) contact with the aft spinner face when dropping the lower cowling, you know how maddening it can seem. What I did ... almost 40 years ago now, was to mount two temporary "ears" (4130 x .025 sheet) to the face of the nosebowl ring that could (would) come in contact with the spinner at removal, hard contact if necessary, with out any untoward consequences to the nosebowl itself. Yes, you have to have "mounting" holes in the nosebowl face, but that gets covered up with the cowling in place - see if you can find the hole (left side) on the pic of the cowling/spinner interface, no?, I didn't think so. So this system doesn't harm the ongoing architecture of the cowling. The cowling pic is to show what my cowling, in that area looks like after (almost) 22 years of putting the cowling on & off. No scratches to speak of - and every time I did it there was "plenty" of contact with the "scuff" plate and the back of the spinner.

The other pic is of the set, one facing out; and, one in, showing what area needs to be protected during the removal/installation process.

YMMV - But I do know this works ...

HFS
HRII S/N 002

Attachments

• Cowl to Spinner - Closeup Photo .jpg
    Cowl to Spinner - Closeup Photo .jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Cowl to Spinner “Scuff” Guard .jpg
    Cowl to Spinner “Scuff” Guard .jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
I don’t suppose you have a photo of the cowling with the scuff guards mounted? I’d make some in a heartbeat if I could picture how they worked.

Thanks for posting this. I posted a little whine/rant about bottom cowl troubles a week or two ago. I didn’t have a solution but got some good advice.

I don’t suppose you have a photo of the cowling with the scuff guards mounted? I’d make some in a heartbeat if I could picture how they worked.

Thanks for posting this. I posted a little whine/rant about bottom cowl troubles a week or two ago. I didn’t have a solution but got some good advice.
My bad for not having any (now) ... The next time I de-cowl, I'll take enough to make sense.

Thanks - David

Back