What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A new project?

kbalch

Well Known Member
Hi Gents,

Just when I thought I was out... You all know how that one goes, right? :D

I'm giving some serious thought to jumping into my third RV project. I built an early -8 (the 203rd -8 and ~2900th RV overall to fly) followed many years later by a -14A. That airplane was chosen mostly due to my wife's preferences and me figuring that anything that got her into the air would be a step in the right direction. Unfortunately, that airplane was finished just as Covid was taking off in early 2020 and, long story short, I sold it later that year.

Looking back, the -14A was (at least so far as the 2-seat RV series is concerned) a truck and I've never missed it much. The -8, on the other hand, was my baby and I've missed her constantly all these years. She flew great, looked great (lots of pics around), and I'm now thinking about building another one.

So...a few questions:
  • Has the -8 kit been updated over the years to bring it into line with the matched-hole state of the newer models?
  • If so, is it now possible to build the -8 entirely without jigs? That is, on a large, flat table as with the -14(A)?
  • Does the -8 kit still require one to do a massive amount of fabrication from raw stock (bar, sheet, plate, angle, etc.) as was the case 20+ years ago or has it been improved to be more like the newer models?
I don't have the room anymore for a full set of jigs (especially the fuselage one), so that's a major factor. Also, both of my previous RVs were standard kits and I have no interest in QBs, especially with the huge current shipping delays. If it's not possible, then that's life and I have other options in mind (a SubSonex, a Pitts S2-C, and a T-6 are the three leading contenders), but I can't seem to get the -8 out of my mind. It's probably a sickness... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't know yet whether this will really happen, but I did reserve an N-number today, so take that as you will. :)

Yep, I did an 8A back then and an 8 three years ago. To your questions:
- The new RV-8 kit is has almost all match hole.
- No jigs, just cleco together.
- Some fabrication still required (like the complicated longeron bending).
- The canopy and canopy skirt are still a PITA, as are the gear towers.

More work than an RV-14 - but are they all?

Carl

Yep, I did an 8A back then and an 8 three years ago. To your questions:
- The new RV-8 kit is has almost all match hole.
- No jigs, just cleco together.
- Some fabrication still required (like the complicated longeron bending).
- The canopy and canopy skirt are still a PITA, as are the gear towers.

So, good news for the most part. Thanks!

More work than an RV-14 - but are they all?

Ha! That's the truth, isn't it? Every time I hear a -14(A) builder complaining, I just have to smile and bite my tongue. Those things go together like Snap-Tite models - just shake up the crate they came in and Presto! Not quite, of course, but near enough. Of course, the -3 and -4 builders think I'm a weenie, so it's all relative. I'd love to have a -3, but I'm not mining my own bauxite to do it. :D

99% matched hole undersized. The 3/32 holes throughout the entire kit need to be assembled, match drilled #40, disassembled for deburring, dimpling, etc. Reassemble and rivet.

No jigs.

Just enough fabrication that I enjoy it. We make the odd bracket from aluminum angle or bar. Really, I think there's 6 small pieces in the fuselage, bend the longerons, and avionics shelf (or whatever one decides to do there).

Kit updates are funny to see throughout. A step will say "open this tooling hole to 7/8" for.... I go look at the part and there's already a perfect 7/8" hole there. Usually the case for electrical, fuel and control cable holes in spar center sections, gear towers, etc.

Last edited:
Match drilling on my first RV8 was perfect. I clecoed the fuselage together, no jig, firewall to tail every other hole. Checking for trueness, everything lined up perfectly. Then drilling holes out to #40, moving the clecoes, drilling, etc took a couple days. Back then the QB fuselage kit delay was 4 months. It took me 2 months to get it past QB stage. If I were to do another one, I wouldn’t choose QB either.

Kit updates are funny to see throughout. A step will say "open this tooling hole to 7/8" for.... I go look at the part and there's already a perfect 7/8" hole there. Usually the case for electrical, fuel and control cable holes in spar center sections, gear towers, etc.

I've been working on the baffles for my -8, and it's even more fun. The baffle kit is made of a combination of -8 and -10 parts, so about half of the stuff already has full-size holes, and the rest has undersized ones that need match drilling. Took me a while to figure that out when I was first putting it together.

A few more questions:
  • Is Van's supplying an updated version of the -8's wiring harness to accommodate new items such as a magnetometer, autopilot servos, Lemo headset jacks, etc.?
  • What about a mount for the G3X magnetometer for the -8's wing such as is available for the -14?
  • What about mounts for the G3X autopilot servos (both aileron and elevator)?
Also, I've read that the IO390 requires additional cowling work to clear the snorkel and the exhaust pipes. If true, how onerous a task is it? Might I be better just getting the IO360? I had a -360 on my old -8 and it was perfect.

Here's a random one: I had a little spring-loaded canopy latch on my old -8 and it worked great. Naturally, I have no idea where I ordered it or whether it's still made. It was a powdercoated steel piece and was attached to the canopy rail in the area of the seat back support. Any ideas on a source for such a thing?

Here's a random one: I had a little spring-loaded canopy latch on my old -8 and it worked great. Naturally, I have no idea where I ordered it or whether it's still made. It was a powdercoated steel piece and was attached to the canopy rail in the area of the seat back support. Any ideas on a source for such a thing?

This is what I put on the RV-8 twenty years ago….not sure if it’s what you’re thinking of or not….

https://flyboyaccessories.com/product/plunger-style-sliding-canopy-latch

This is what I put on the RV-8 twenty years ago….not sure if it’s what you’re thinking of or not….

Functionally, that's exactly like the one I used, but mine was powdercoated and the knob was less chunky. I'm still looking for photos of my old one, but I've bookmarked this one for now. Thanks!

Well, guys - my initial order has gone into Van’s and I’m doing it again. For the third time, no less!! Wish me luck… :)

IO-390? Depends....

Well, guys - my initial order has gone into Van’s and I’m doing it again. For the third time, no less!! Wish me luck… :)

Best of luck Ken.

Regarding the IO-390, it kind of depends on which variant as to the pain level, but all will induce some level of pain.

I'm not sure about the "stock" IO-390, but the EXP 119 exhaust and intake will require cowl mods, or selecting some other exhaust and modifying the intake.

I'll be doing my EXP install later this year after I finish the canopy in my 8. I plan to use a 4>1 exhaust (haven't selected the vendor yet) and a ram air inlet.

There are a lot of common parts that can be used from the RV14 EXP kit that will apply to the RV-8 (baffle kit, oil cooler, etc) but if you're looking to get in the air asap, an IO-360 will be the quickest way to do it.

Personally, I like the challenge of doing something different than just ordering a installation kit from Van's. It's one of the things I enjoyed most about building my RV-6 25 years ago.

Regards,
Laird

I'll be doing my EXP install later this year after I finish the canopy in my 8. I plan to use a 4>1 exhaust (haven't selected the vendor yet) and a ram air inlet.

There are a lot of common parts that can be used from the RV14 EXP kit that will apply to the RV-8 (baffle kit, oil cooler, etc) but if you're looking to get in the air asap, an IO-360 will be the quickest way to do it.

I've already decided to minimize the pain. I'll go with the IO-360-A1B6, as I did 22+ years ago, as well as another Vetterman 4>2 exhaust. No need to reinvent the wheel, let alone add time and pain to the project.

At this point, I'm just hoping that the kit is much improved/modernized from its original state. We shall see... :)

Best of luck Ken.

Regarding the IO-390, it kind of depends on which variant as to the pain level, but all will induce some level of pain.

I'm not sure about the "stock" IO-390, but the EXP 119 exhaust and intake will require cowl mods, or selecting some other exhaust and modifying the intake.

Personally, I like the challenge of doing something different than just ordering a installation kit from Van's. It's one of the things I enjoyed most about building my RV-6 25 years ago.

Regards,
Laird
Hello, did you manage to install the IO-390 in the RV-8?

I'm really struggling with the cowling modifications. I'm installing an IO-390 EXP 119, and the cowling is from an IO-360 that I'm adapting. I've already adapted the entire bottom part of it, but the top part doesn't fit perfectly, and I still need to make a lot of adjustments to achieve the clearances as the manual indicates.
I'm sorry for the errors; my English is not native.

Attachments

• 20231011_104534.jpg
    20231011_104534.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20231011_104553.jpg
    20231011_104553.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20231012_143824.jpg
    20231012_143824.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20231011_104550.jpg
    20231011_104550.jpg