What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A, 7A, 8A or 9A fairing construction time?

Build9A

Well Known Member
Approximately how many hours has it taken to complete the construction of the wheel and gear leg fairings? The ones supplied with the kit. Not the intersection fairings. I am having too much fun flying and testing my newly constructed 9A to stop and finish the fairings. I plan on purchasing the intersection fairings, but would like a "ballpark" number of hours for the rest, so I can prepare myself and get back in the building mode and mood. thanks, Jack RV9A N489JE

I just finished putting the last of the fairings on my 9A. The gear leg fairings don't take long at all, the plans work good for this. The main wheel fairings can be put on in an evening. The nose wheel fairing takes a little longer because you have to mess with raising the nose up and down, and a bit of headscratching. I installed the Van's intersection fairings, didn't take long but to make then look good they will probably take me quite a bit of time. I probably should have made my own.

I know what you mean about wanting to keep flying, I'll be at Sun n Fun with some ratty looking fiberglass. :)

Fairings

I'm going through the same thing. I have 54 hours on the airplane and finally have good weather so I jack the plane up and started to work on the fairings. The leg fairings are easy and only take a few hours for intial fit. The wheel pants for the mains are a little more difficult. The first one took about 4 hours on a Sunday with perfect weather and multiple interuptions. The second one took me about an hour and half. I haven't started on the nose gear yet. I am also hoping to make it to Sun n Fun and I'll be on the line with ratty looking fiberglass also.

Pete DeCraene
N526PD 7A

Take Time to Get Them Right

The alignment of thes items are pretty critical to performance. One has to consider that these surfaces are much larger than trim tabs and unless the are perfectly straight and parallel they are injecting control inputs on the flight of the airplane. The amount that the individual misalignment control inputs do not cancel out has to be corrected for by control inputs by the pilot (DRAG!). The amount that the misalignment control inputs do cancel out as far as the flight path of the airplane is concerned still have an effect on the performance of the airplane - DRAG!. I guess I'm the odd ball here from all of the "first flight" photos I see with naked legs, I didn't even consider flying my airplane until EVERY fairing was installed. I followed a precise procedure for the alignment of all the fairings provided by a fellow named Tracy Saylor (spelling?) with the main landing gear strut fairings bought from him - plane positioned level with respect to the canopy deck reference plane, plumb bob to points on the floor from front and rear of each item and the centerling of the fuselage. It isn't straight until all of the lines on the floor are parallel with the one for the fuselage centerline. I made my own intersection/interference fairings with modeling clay molding on the airplane and fiberglass layed up over it. I fiberglassed right on to the wheel fairings and cut them at the wheel fairing split after the first ply was layed up. I built up successive layers with the wheel fairing halfs separated. There is only one crack, no screws and it is incredibly smooth. A similar process was used for the upper main gear fairings but I cut them right down the trailing edge and down the inner surface inlign with the strut. I riveted an aluminum "tab" to the front and extended it back under the rear part enough to support two plate nuts. The larger piece is attached to the fuselage with flathead screws, dimple washers and plate nuts - three points - two at the front (inboard and outboard, one at the read outboard. The small piece is also attached at three points with the same hardware two points interface with the plate nuts on the tab from the big part on the inboard side and the third point is fastened to the fuselage on the inboard side of the fairing. the trailing edge is left open. The resulting cuff fairing comes off cleanly with no other disassembly. The upper nose strut to cowl fairing fiberglasss is built up in a similar maner but it is built up on two .032 aluminum plates. The split line on this fairing is down each side inlign with the nosegear strut. The front half attaches to the cowl with platenuts on a back up doubler plate, flat head screws and but no dimple washers (the aluminum plate itself is dimpled). The rear half is attached with three inline round head screws that attach it to a special aluminum support structure. The front screw is permanently screwed into the support structure and the fairing plate is "Keyholed" to fit on it. When it is slid to the forward position the two rear screws and washers are installed to lock it in place. This is definitly a creative part of the airplane and how you do it has a direct affect on performance - speed!

Oh yes, time - I don't even want to think about it - excellence should be the goal.

See you at Sun 'n Fun next week.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, N710BJ

Last edited:
fairing construction

Thanks for the great info Bob. I'd really like to see pictures if available. Sounds like you did it right. Jack N489JE.

I will try to do that

I have to go back to the airport tonight and work on the plane to get it ready for Sun 'n Fun. However, I often wake up in the middle of the night looking for something to do - I'll scan some of my photos and e-mail them to you if your address is listed.

Bob Axsom
RV-6A, N710BJ

E-Mailed photos

I Scanned and e-mailed the photos early this morning. I selected a mid-range resolution to keep the file size down on most of them. The image quality is pretty bad but you can see how most of the work was done.

Bob Axsom

Back