What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6-8 months of non use?

Mconner7

Well Known Member
I am likely to park my -10 for 6-8 months (medical issue) and am wondering if an oil change with Camguard and some LPS2 in the spark plug holes is enough?

I am likely to park my -10 for 6-8 months (medical issue) and am wondering if an oil change with Camguard and some LPS2 in the spark plug holes is enough?
dessicant plugs in the cylinders and a dessicant dryer on the sump. Lots of commercial and homemade options. Have anyone that can check status/change the dessicant for you?

I winterize my plane for 6 months every winter and follow the Lycoming service letter 180B. Suggest you start there. I use Phillips 66 preservation oil, dehydrator plugs, Sta-bil fogging oil, and some desiccant bags from Amazon. Probably $100 in materials, but worth it if it eliminates corrosion.

Give Von_Flyer (member/advertiser) a call. He can hook you up with what you need.
Hope the best for your health.

Sincerely
Arnie

PM me, I'm just north of you at X05, 600 hrs in type and 2,500 hrs TT. Would be more than happy to fly it for an hour every 3 or 4 weeks. More than welcome to fly mine. I have someone fly mine when I'm out of town for more than a month. Good luck with the medical issue.

After I went through a similar hiatus (once for a medical event, the other for extended painting), I noticed that the propeller began to sling grease -- more specifically, the oil portion of the grease in the hub ended up on my windscreen canopy as lots of tiny dots, a mist...

My propeller, a Hartzell C2YR/F7497-2 (aka Hartzell "BA") was serviced originally with Aeroshell #6 grease, which unfortunately, seems to separate over time into its component parts -- oil and clay. The first time, the solution was to panic, remove the propellor and send it off for an IRAN & reseal. The second time, calmer, more experienced and grayer heads prevailed, and the solution was to purge the #6 grease and replace it with Aeroshell #5....and then the Chemtool/Lubrizol plant in Indiana burned to the ground and Aeroshell grease of any stripe became unobtainable...

Good luck with your medical issue.

Back