What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3.5mm audio jack/USB-C Splitter for iPad Mini 6-Advice Needed

ArVeeNiner

Well Known Member
Apple’s decision to remove the 3.5 mm Jack from their products is causing me grief.

I’m trying to upgrade my Mini 5 that I use in my RV to my new Mini 6. I’ve never had an issue with charging the 5 in flight while also feeding its audio into my intercom. Now for the 6 I have to hang a splitter to the USB-C port of the iPad with one leg a USB-C jack (to charge it with) and the other containing a 3.5 mm jack for audio.

I bought a splitter from Amazon and a cigarette lighter adapter with enough juice to charge the iPad. Everything works well in my car. Charging is fine.

The plane is another story:

With the splitter and charger in place, the iPad constantly cycles between charging and not every few seconds. This happens with the engine running or not.

With the splitter taken out of the setup and the iPad plugged directly into the cigarette lighter adapter it charges just fine. It seems like the splitter that I bought doesn’t like my plane.

So, has anybody done this and has found a good splitter to use? I don’t mind pulling the trigger in a Belkin but I’ve seen mixed reviews about the robustness of those.

I guess another solution would be to buy a Bluetooth adapter for the audio but that needs to be charged and that means even more wires!

Thanks!

More than a few electronics purchased on A don't work as advertised. One attempt to save $$ through A ended with a purchase from the genuine A.
If Apple has a similar device, I'd suggest it's worth the extra dollars.

More than a few electronics purchased on A don't work as advertised. One attempt to save $$ through A ended with a purchase from the genuine A.
If Apple has a similar device, I'd suggest it's worth the extra dollars.

Yea, that’s what I’m thinking. Looks like Apple has Belkin. I’ll pick one of those up.

Just to close this out, I bought a Belkin Rockstar splitter that seems to have worked. I didn’t take it flying yet but it charges my iPad on the ground which is what the other no name splitter I had didn’t do.

Just to close this out, I bought a Belkin Rockstar splitter that seems to have worked. I didn’t take it flying yet but it charges my iPad on the ground which is what the other no name splitter I had didn’t do.

Another update, the Belkin doesn’t work after all. It’s constantly connecting and disconnecting when charging. I’m also having issues getting sound out of it through the Belkin. I’ll post back if I ever figure it out.

Thanks for removing the 3.5 mm jack Apple. So convenient!

Is there a bluetooth option in your current intercom family?

You could also go with a fixed bluetooth receiver to plug into your current intercom 3.5mm jack, they power off internal battery or USB.

I like the 1Mii line, under $30. I'd try another power supply for the Belkin first- the power supply is as important as the adapter splitter for overall charging function.

Last edited:
Kelly,

In your posts I didn’t see what intercom you have. A pricier option granted but have you looked at a Bluetooth intercom? When I upgraded my IPad Mini to a 6 I ran into the same problem, you can’t charge and listen to music simultaneously because now there’s only one port and you have to do either/or but not both. The solution for me when I did a panel upgrade was to swap the non BT GMA 340 intercom for a Garmin GMA 245 BT capable intercom. I put a 3.5mm music input jack on the far right side of the panel close to where I have the IPAD Mini Ram mount. I plug in a compatible cord from the IPad mini (for music) to the 3.5mm jack that is wired into the music input on the back of the intercom. I can simultaneously use WIFI to the AFS EFIS for ADSB tfc/wx info when using flight map software. I just make sure the IPad Mini is charged before flight.

- You can charge the newer Minis but you lose music while charging.
- Typically I use the intercom BT function with the Garmin VIRB 360 camera for real time audio.
- I plug the IPAD Mini into the panel for music to the intercom while using WIFI from the EFIS for ADSB tfc/wx.
- If not using a video camera I BT the IPad Mini to the intercom for music and use WIFI from the EFIS for ADSB tic/w to the IPad Mini. Then you use the cord from the IPAD to the USB charging port.

Normally I use my IPhone for music on local flights. I only use the IPAD Mini for XC flights.

Sounds confusing bit it’s really not, PM me if you want to discuss

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. Looks like I solved the issue. as was suggested, I bought a BT receiver from Amazon for $12. It’s a Hvmlak (not a typo). Works great except it doesn’t power off automatically. It’s about the diameter of a pencil and very small. It does allow you to charge and use it simultaneously so after I eventually leave it on after a flight hopefully it will charge up in flight just fine.

As far as charging the iPad I have a dedicated cable that does only that and it too works well.

Back