Just thought I'd let you folks know that I made my final engine payment to Van's, and they have received and acknowledged it. They've said they plan to transfer all the funds to Lycoming around April 1. This is the initial group of engines that received notifications, and is scheduled for production in April. I've spoken to Chris at Lycoming and he's confirmed this.

If that encourages anyone, so be it. I know there's a danger window here, but I just made the decision to trust. What else can we do?

Last edited:
Some good news. Vans asked for the final payment on our prop. We were pretty close to getting shipped prior to the shutdown and were paid in full at that time, so we must have been rather close to the top of the list. Vans email stated 2-4 weeks to ship from now.

So, we have progress!
Any update on your order? I need to order a Hartzell prop and I'm very reluctant to order through the Van's site.

Just thought I'd let you folks know that I made my final engine payment to Van's, and they have received and acknowledged it. They've said they plan to transfer all the funds to Lycoming around April 1. This is the initial group of engines that received notifications, and is scheduled for production in April. I've spoken to Chris at Lycoming and he's confirmed this.

If that encourages anyone, so be it. I know there's a danger window here, but I just made the decision to trust. What else can we do?
“Nick Danger, Third Eye”

Doug, have you actually made the final payment to Van's?
I ordered my engine on March 6, 2022 to beat the upcoming price increase, but told Lycoming I would not need the engine for at least a year. Looking back, that was a big mistake. :mad: I just sent the full requested amount today, and am holding my breath that nothing else goes wrong on this deal.

Did you order a TB or Standard 540?

I ordered my engine on March 6, 2022 to beat the upcoming price increase, but told Lycoming I would not need the engine for at least a year. Looking back, that was a big mistake. :mad: I just sent the full requested amount today, and am holding my breath that nothing else goes wrong on this deal.
Yes, I did the same - told Lycoming that I wasn't even close to needing it, so they could put me at the end of the line. I was so concerned about the warranty, which in the end probably won't ever be used.

Good luck to you, and to all of us. Hopefully others in this group are making their payment, so Lycoming can get started.

March 6, 2022 to beat the upcoming price increase, but told Lycoming I would not need the engine for at least a year. Looking back, that was a big mistake. :mad:
Same here, though it was ordered beginning of February. And AFAIU the TBs are being built at a pretty sedate rate...

I ordered my IO-390EXP Feb 23. Was originally told mine would arrive Nov23:( Anne at Vans has been communicating with me. Just last week I was told this. 'They (assume Lycoming) are now beginning to start production and have told me the first few people to contact-(your name is not on that list yet ) but I don’t have the full schedule yet. It's a start but I hate when the carrot keeps dangling in front of me. Sorry to dangle it in front of this group too. You all share my anxiety on this thread. I did finish up my empennage vertical and horizontal stab fairing nut plate installation yesterday:) took longer than expected but I'm in no true rush.

I received my request for final payment today. Thunderbolt IO-540 ordered June 30, 2021. The email says it's on the build schedule for May.
Thanks for that update. (So my 3/2022 order for a TB IO-540 is probably a year out. Good to know.)

Man, for the good old days when a Mattituck Red/Gold shipped 6 months after deposit received. Oh and for 40K...

We were spoiled just a few years ago. Do feel sorry for folks starting in on this now, but once you get to flying, you'll soon realize what a wonderful machine Van designed for us.

Working on a Moose now, and lucky to have all the parts in hand except engine. The company has minimal and quite slow customer service, but luckily enough folks have come before I can usually find answers. Does make me appreciate the Van's support, even during these tough times! Keep banging away!

Phil
KBTF
Salt Lake City
RV-10 built/flying
Murphy Moose, building

Things are definitely moving. My March 2022 Non Thunderbolt IO-390-EXP119 is on the production schedule for June.

I'm in the first (April) group for my IO-540. I spoke to Chris Gayman of Lycoming at Sun 'n Fun and he looked up my engine specifically and it's scheduled to be finished and ready to ship (pick up) on April 26th. He said this means Van's has paid Lycoming a deposit, but not the whole amount as I thought I had been told had happened.

So, back to fingers crossed, but I think it's looking good. I'll report any further developments.

Last edited:
I'm in the first (April) group for my IO-540. I spoke to Chris Gayman of Lycoming at Sun 'n Fun and he looked up my engine specifically and it's scheduled to be finished and ready to ship (pick up) on April 26th. He said this means Van's has paid Lycoming a deposit, but not the whole amount as I thought I had been told had happened.

So, back to fingers crossed, but I think it's looking good. I'll report any further developments.
Is that a Thunderbolt IO-540?

sounds like at least the standard engines are starting to flow through the process...... Would be nice to hear an update regarding any TB engines....

Received a note from Anne at Van’s - my Thunderbolt IO-540 ordered 02-2022 is “on the schedule” to be assembled 09-2024. Wish I had it right now, but nice to have a date.
Let us know when you get a definite ship date. 31 months for a TB 540 seems better than most but hopefully a good sign.

I just received word my IO-540 ordered April 2023 is on the schedule for production April 2025. It was to be delivered Feb 2024 before we agreed to the reorder terms.
So 2 years.
Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a long wait.
Oh, that's right. No seats.

I just received word my IO-540 ordered April 2023 is on the schedule for production April 2025. It was to be delivered Feb 2024 before we agreed to the reorder terms.
So 2 years.
Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a long wait.
Oh, that's right. No seats.
Non-thunderbolt?

Has anyone at all received a notification on a standard 360 or 320 ? Seems like I’m only seeing 500’s and TB notifications

Just found out from Vans that our Thunderbolt 540 ordered March 2022 is NOT on the schedule for 2024. It will be 2025 now. Hopefully not late 2025. Very disappointing. Also frustrating that I had to contact them to find this out. All this time I’ve been thinking…ok next month…ok next month.

Just found out from Vans that our Thunderbolt 540 ordered March 2022 is NOT on the schedule for 2024. It will be 2025 now. Hopefully not late 2025. Very disappointing. Also frustrating that I had to contact them to find this out. All this time I’ve been thinking…ok next month…ok next month.
I'm in the same boat. My RV10 is waiting on an engine. I ordered the same time as you did. Last month I called Barrett Precision Engines and they are building me the same engine. I'll have it in about 3 months. I really think it will be a better engine as they pay attention to detail and it will be ran on their dyno for 1 hour. It will be 85% broke in on arrival and they preserve it just in case it doesn't get installed for awhile. I saw someone posted the other day that their TB 540 came without the mag gears installed. I figure you will start seeing a lot of these type things happening.

I'm in the same boat. My RV10 is waiting on an engine. I ordered the same time as you did. Last month I called Barrett Precision Engines and they are building me the same engine. I'll have it in about 3 months. I really think it will be a better engine as they pay attention to detail and it will be ran on their dyno for 1 hour. It will be 85% broke in on arrival and they preserve it just in case it doesn't get installed for awhile. I saw someone posted the other day that their TB 540 came without the mag gears installed. I figure you will start seeing a lot of these type things happening.
Is the pricing comparable?

Received final payment request yesterday for RV-12iS Rotax 912iS. I have requested to delay the shipment as originally the finishing kit was supposed to be delivered several months prior, but obviously all the timelines got messed up and I don't have the finishing kit yet. I assume somebody out there will be happy to get their engine before me so I've asked Vans to move me back on the order fulfillment list.

Here's the email for reference:
VAN’S AIRCRAFT CRATING NOTICE

Hello,

We plan to pack/crate your kit within the next four to six weeks. Note that your kit order will not be packed or shipped until the final payment has been received.

To secure your packing/crating slot, we encourage you to submit the final payment balance of $XX,XXX.XX soon.If we do not receive your final payment within the next 14 business days,your slot may be reassigned to another customer, and your packing/crating will be re-scheduled for a later timeframe. Additionally, prices are subject to change, and cannot be guaranteed (although we do not anticipate any at this time).

If payment is received within the specified timeframe, your order will be added to our crating schedule and packed within the next four to six weeks.

Please review the attached order acknowledgment.

Last edited:
Wow that’s fast! Can you get out of the Vans deal now? Assuming you signed the ‘new deal’ with price increase that is.

That's how I was feeling. It was due in Feb. of this year. So I just kept thinking in the next couple months. I had to write begging for information. The plane is complete except for the engine and the front seats. And we're not getting any younger. We're both in our upper 60's. Not that many good years left.

Just got my final payment request from Vans for Thunderbolt 360. Supposedly set for July. Ordered March 22. Fingers crossed!

Received final payment request yesterday for RV-12iS Rotax 912iS. I have requested to delay the shipment as originally the finishing kit was supposed to be delivered several months prior, but obviously all the timelines got messed up and I don't have the finishing kit yet. I assume somebody out there will be happy to get their engine before me.

Here's the email for reference:
Matt, Check your private messages.

Just found out from Vans that our Thunderbolt 540 ordered March 2022 is NOT on the schedule for 2024. It will be 2025 now. Hopefully not late 2025. Very disappointing. Also frustrating that I had to contact them to find this out. All this time I’ve been thinking…ok next month…ok next month
Engine and order date is the same for me and I made the same inquiry last Friday. All they could tell me is that they "... currently have a view for the next few months and I don't see your TB engine scheduled just yet."

See post 415. Ordered Feb 2022 and assembly expected Sept 2024 for the TB540. Good luck, seat expectation similar lead time inconsistency.

See post 415. Ordered Feb 2022 and assembly expected Sept 2024 for the TB540. Good luck, seat expectation similar lead time inconsistency.
In March of 2022 Van's prompted a wave of many, MANY orders by warning us of an impending Lycoming price hike. I wouldn't be surprised if those orders alone consume the better part of a year's TB production schedule.

I think the problem is there was a huge order compression in Feb-April '22 as I recall that is when the next 10% price increase was announced so they got a flood of close to 300 orders all in a 30-60 day time frame.

I think the problem is there was a huge order compression in Feb-April '22 as I recall that is when the next 10% price increase was announced so they got a flood of close to 300 orders all in a 30-60 day time frame.
That was 2 years ago. Seems they've had time to get em done by now.
Also, a company with deep pockets like Lycoming should be able to expand to meet the demand.

Just as everything else, the supply chain and lack of work force has hit lycoming just like everything else, I imagine.

I’m one of those 300 and I am not holding my breath for an engine before 2025….. my project is essentially on hold until I get an engine….

As I understand it, Lycoming was really hosed by Covid as well. They continue to have supplier problems, and had a really tough time insourcing cylinder construction (a huge batch of cylinders was unusable).

As I understand it, Lycoming was really hosed by Covid as well. They continue to have supplier problems, and had a really tough time insourcing cylinder construction (a huge batch of cylinders was unusable).
Clearly Lycoming wasn’t meeting the timelines that Vans was given. Let’s admit it, Vans never projected delivery/wait times for engines without Lycoming telling them what to say.

That was 2 years ago. Seems they've had time to get em done by now.
Also, a company with deep pockets like Lycoming should be able to expand to meet the demand.
you need to consider that experimental engines aren't there main lines. They have to fit them in where they can while still supplying major manufactures rolling our certified aircraft.

you need to consider that experimental engines aren't there main lines. They have to fit them in where they can while still supplying major manufactures rolling our certified aircraft.
Given the relatively small number of new certified piston planes being delivered each year, I would think experimental engines sales would exceed certified. I think I recall seeing that Van's is Lycoming's biggest customer.

Given the relatively small number of new certified piston planes being delivered each year, I would think experimental engines sales would exceed certified. I think I recall seeing that Van's is Lycoming's biggest customer.
If my read of the registration database is right, there are 862 aircraft with a 2023 manufacture date using Lycoming engines. 111 appear to be RVs, of 244 total E-ABs. For comparison, 245 were Cessnas, 158 were Piper.

It's been stated by Lycoming that Van's is their number 1 customer. Maybe not as many engines as all certified customers combined (then again, maybe it is.)

I ordered my IO-390EXP Feb 23. Was originally told mine would arrive Nov23:( Anne at Vans has been communicating with me. Just last week I was told this. 'They (assume Lycoming) are now beginning to start production and have told me the first few people to contact-(your name is not on that list yet ) but I don’t have the full schedule yet. It's a start but I hate when the carrot keeps dangling in front of me. Sorry to dangle it in front of this group too. You all share my anxiety on this thread. I did finish up my empennage vertical and horizontal stab fairing nut plate installation yesterday:) took longer than expected but I'm in no true rush.
I am at the exact point in my RV-14A build as you. I ordered mine Sep 22. I was told the same thing by Ann. She also told me that they have not renegotiated build schedule with Lycoming yet, but expect the builds to start in Jan 2025, I am more than 100 numbers back. She said that Lycoming can build 16-18 TB a month and Vans is the customer for 98% of them. I hope to get an exact delivery date once they have it.

She also told me that they have not renegotiated build schedule with Lycoming yet, but expect the builds to start in Jan 2025
"Start in Jan 2025". Ann told you they are not going to build any TB engines for Vans customers until 1/2025? That's the first I have heard that, most disappointing. What are they doing with the remaining 8 months of 2024?