What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Vans Air Force News 1.16.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

From the factory Monday afternoon:
"Due to icy winter weather and poor road conditions, the Van's offices and phones are closed Tuesday...... Please feel free to use our web store for items available there. Thank you!"

IN THIS EDITION:
-----------------

Daily RV Pic ...dr pic
IMG_1137 (1).JPG

A tour of some of Jay Pratt's RVs ...Jay
I love building airplanes, I love flying them.
N82RV, white, was my first RV8 build. First flight was April 1, 1999
The current owner is a good friend.
N46RX was my second RV8. red nose. I flew that one 750 hours in about 12 years. First flight was in 2007
N6YH is my latest build, yellow nose,, completed July 2021.
I’m working on a RV6 that was stalled out, abandoned here at Hicks. It should be fun to fly. It will be my 3rd RV6. Don’t worry, I’m not selling my 8 anytime soon.
VAFDR_ 68 Jan. 15.jpg

Electric Elevator Trim Servo Fit
Heads up on the fit of the Ray Allen elevator trim servo - I laid out the attach brackets according to the measurements in the plans (quadruple checked that I didn't get them wrong), but those measurements end up putting the whole thing off-center. I don't know if the size of the servo has changed over time or if the dimensions in the plans have just always been wrong. I guess next task for me is making a new access cover and shifting things over.
VAFDR_ 66 Jan. 15.jpg

Post in thread 'Video: Van's Engineering Laser-Cut Parts Detailed Analysis and Results' ...greg
We've updated the original post on this thread to include a link to some of the commonly asked questions and answers submitted to our engineering team. We are collecting questions during January and will continue to post Q&A for the more common questions for the next couple of weeks.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (1/12 - 1/15'ish)
(Foghorn)
Tail feathers are done. Prepping the fuselage now. Hopefully we’ll have some color on this thing by next weekend. I like this new forum.
VAFDR_ 67 Jan. 15.jpg

RV-6 Update ...Ash E
Just an update. Ended up working till the end of the year and flying the family to Tucson for the new year but finally able to work on the plane a little more. Now it’s just so dang cold here in Colorado!
Hard to warm up the storage container but warmer weather is on the way! Hopefully I’ll still have time to finish the wings this winter and stay on schedule.
I got the layout done on both wings. I put one away and in the process of skinning the right wing. So far I have the leading edge done and am working on the fuel tank.
IMG_5476.jpeg

And this issue's Off Topic:
VAFDR_ 70 Jan. 15.jpg

Back