What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 3.8.2024

Wishing you and yours a happy, safe and RV-filled weekend. v/r,dr

Daily RV Pic …Jerry Lawlor RV-8
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 5.02.36 PM.png

RV-4 #4175 Fastback Conversion …climbak update
Finally got it trailered over to it's new temporary home and now it has some new friends for a few months. Should have some actual progress starting this weekend. Tail feathers are coming off and top skin is getting drilled out.
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 5.10.08 PM.png

13-03 Step 3
Q: What are the 14 #40 holes, that are countersunk, used for?
A: You mean these ones? These are for the forwardmost top and bottom flanges on the main wing ribs. Note that the Top and Bottom shown here are NOT the top and bottom of the topmost flange. It refers to the top portion of the upper flange and the bottom portion of the lower flange. In the future, I suggest you might want to post more information such as the drawing, or a description of what you're working on.
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 3.57.54 PM.png

Canopy OPEN Warning light, but HOW?
(Roadjunkie1 reply). I can't answer for anything other than what I did on SuzieQ, an RV-4. There is a microswitch positioned so the canopy rail opens the microswitch (turning the RED light off) when the canopy is closed and locked. It is positioned to be pretty sensitive and the canopy has to be CLOSED to move the switch arm enough to open. It can be seen in the photograph in front of the nylon block that holds the canopy rail in the closed position. The canopy is in the TAXI position in the photo. The microswitch is held in place by a bracket that is bolted to the nylon block with the same bolts that hold the block in place. It has never failed and never turned on in flight. It is on my CHECK LIST in several places. The first line of my predeparture check list is CANOPY: DOWN AND LOCKED; SEAT BELTS: LOCKED (and the RED light is off!) BOOST PUMP: ON; FLAPS: SET 20 DEGREES; GAS: RIGHT TANK etc all of which I say out loud as I have done this so many times it is welded in my memory!.
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 3.59.10 PM.png

Another Ticking Time Bomb …DanH find
You're looking at a rubber lined hose running close to the #2 header. No shielding of any kind, and likely more than 10 years old. Safe bet the rubber liner will snap like a dry twig when removed and flexed.
If a full re-route isn't practical, this one needs a shorter hose, an insulated pipe shield, a reflective wrap on the hose, which should be Teflon lined.
Let's up our game folks.
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 4.51.48 PM.png

West Coast Formation Clinic 2024 - Madera, CA …Cougar
This year’s West Coast Formation Clinic 2023 will be on April 25-28, 2024 in Madera, CA KMAE. Applications will be closed by the end of the day on 19 March 2024. To apply and/or for additional details, visit the WCFC 2024 website link below. Open the page and clink on Application tab and submit your info.

RV-12 Cowling fitting success before powerplant installation?
I built a legacy RV-12 and in contrary to the KAI I first installed the engine and then cut and fit the cowling. It definitely can be done that way plus it allows for more precise distance between spinner back plate and cowl.
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 4.57.37 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-03-07 at 5.04.17 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back