What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 3.1.2024

Wishing you and yours a happy, safe and RV-filled weekend. Thanks again to those who Account Upgrade and keep the lights on here. You badge-sporting awesomes make the site happen.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

Cowl to nose cone alignment
For context, I’m the second owner of a RV-8 and haven’t built an RV. I’m getting ready to do some fiberglass work on my cowl to clean up some lines and design a better cowl hinge pin cover. In the process of looking the project over I noticed the cowl doesn’t align with the nose cone. I’m assuming this has to be causing some drag with a loss of a knot or two and at minimum doesn’t look good. Is this a common alignment issue and what have others done to get the lines to match up?
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.33.51 PM.png

Landing Gear Fairing Tip ….HFS
A couple of pics of what I did on my Rocket (now flying 21+ years) ...
I did split the fairings at midspan to give a less stressful response at times of extreme flexing; and, used hinges (with interlocking overlap at the midspan joint) to close the trailing edges.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.12.21 PM.png

Tip: Keyboard shortcut to insert pics
…if using a Mac put the cursor where you want the picture and press COMMAND-P. You can also bold and italicize with B and I.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.10.41 PM.png

3D Printed Spark Plug Holder
Pictured below my 25 year old piece of 2x4 spark plug holder and my 2 year old printed version.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.13.25 PM.png
…and remember, there is a 3D Printed Parts subforum

Looking for data for a very specific airframe engine combo (or a solution)...
Here are some additional pictures. Hopefully not too many. The reason I asked about hoses used is TS asked me my exhaust set up. I'm not sure if the hose length is determine by this exhaust type. It really it looks like mine could have been a bit shorter. As an aside I wrapped my red cube per Vic Syracuse recommendation.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.31.19 PM.png

VOR Antenna
I just read this thread and I performed some testing and analysis on various VOR antenna concepts today. An antenna mounted on the cowl has some problems associated with the proximity of the engine (heat and electromagnetic scattering from the engine). An alternate approach is to mount the antenna on the inside of the aft canopy. A while back I built a VOR antenna with an integrated balun mounted on a piece of cardstock. I placed this on the top of the aft canopy and used a vector network analyzer to measure the voltage reflection coefficient of the antenna from 100-130 MHz. The attached photos show the installation and measured data. The measured data is the voltage reflection coefficient in dB over the measurement band. Good performance is associated with the portion of the trace along the bottom of the screen. The antenna has been detuned by the structure and could be easily trimmed to center the good performance over the 108-118 MHz band. I also performed some numerical analysis with FEKO and attached is the computed yaw plane performance of the antenna (nose is at 3 o'clock). The feed line could be routed down the roll bar support structure. The balun could also be mounted to this structure making a very clean installation.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.33.04 PM.png

Empennage Attach bolts
I'm looking at how to get at the bottom of the forward Emp. attach nuts, and I figure I will need to employ a child/small armed person, or take a trip into the tailcone. I have the platforms ready to go, and now I'm wondering if there are "best practice" rules to prevent my from installing the fasteners with the nut's up. This would be much easier to inspect, install and torque. Granted, once installed, a borescope inspection would be fairly easy. Thoughts?
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.32.10 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 4.08.35 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Last edited:
Back