What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 2.28.2024

Still playing catchup after the site upgrade and initial for the KA350. Working the list....slowly ;^). Thanks for understanding as I drift in and out of comm. b,d

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

EZ-PORT (Static) - Another Way To Do It …HFS
Here's another way to make a fairly neat and compact static port, as an alternative to the "modified" rivet method ...
I use a universal head HiLok Pin - this one happens to be an HL20PB6-2, then reshape (and polish) the head as needed, drill the center hole (.078) and make a "cap" nut to allow take-up on the unthreaded portion of the shank. After installing (with 5/64" Allen wrench at "butt" end of pin), thread on the QD adapter size of your choice (1/8 & 1/4 shown) to attach static tubing.
This makes a neat, simple, rugged installation for the static port
https://www.vansairforce.net/threads/ez-port-static-another-way-to-do-it.224875/
Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 4.03.30 PM.png

Leaning While Climbing…..DanH reply
Illustration, AFP FM-200, IO-390, WOT and full rich from 200 to 15000 feet. Bendix-type metering is based on velocity and density, so it tracks the density loss due to altitude rather well for a purely mechanical device. However, it's not perfect, and does moderately drift rich as density is reduced.
Progressively leaning in the climb to maintain the EGT noted immediately after takeoff simply makes the blue fuel flow line track the red density line.
Concerned about leaning at WOT? Note the EGT seen immediately after liftoff from sea level is based on a fuel/air ratio necessary to maintain detonation margin, based on certification tests, which are run at worst case temperature. Leaning to keep the blue line matched to the red line merely maintains the same ratio, and thus provides no basis for a detonation concern based on mixture. If CHT's get too hot, it's because cooling system performance is inadequate.
Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 4.01.28 PM.png

Panel Progress …jwd295
Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 4.04.17 PM.png

Screws used to mount steps on 14A
Q: A "friend" lost his installtion instructions for the steps on a14A. Anyone have copy to upload or at least describe the stack up of hardware. Screw length, washers and nut
A: Section 42. I just did this today.
Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 4.05.25 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-02-27 at 3.51.18 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back