What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 1.23.2024 (w/ Off Topic)

In that -8 canopy crack thread (below) created a couple of days ago, there are now over (17) pictures that have been inserted in replies. I think that is a nice indication of the new forum software being used as intended.
Hope you have a nice Tuesday.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE:
---------------------------------------

RV-10 #42122 ...status update
I finished the rudder on day 50 and the elevators on day 53. I worked on both up to the proseal step so I could proseal both and the same time. Ex-wife (at the time she wasn't), kids, and parents were involved with these. It was great having someone to cleco while I put the proseal on, allowing me to focus just on mixing, applying, and clean up.
VAFDR_ 103 Jan. 23.jpg

Side Step Crack ...mikerkba
My 8A step broke off about 2 weeks ago, fortunately it was in my hangar and sort of slowly folded, so no injury to me or plane. NOTE: unlike all the other pics I see, my break was at the weld where the step meets the 80 degree vertical "post," not at the higher weld adjacent to the fuselage. The plane was painted just 9 months ago, and the crack was detected after the paint, so poor timing on that. But I bought a step from Vans and put the job on the to do list.
VAFDR_ 104 Jan. 23.jpg

High oil pressure after shutdown
Noticed that after cold start, then taxiing to the fuel pumps, shut down, leave mixture at ICO, when I go to re-start, the fuel pressure is around 80psi. Seems a bit high, but drops to normal (about 25 psi) as soon as mixture is pushed in. Just wondering if this is is ok, since I always leave mixture at ICO after shutdown or should I release the pressure?

New trim switch with paddle
The autopilot switch in my legacy RV-12 went bad. I figured while I replaced that one I'd try a new and different switch for stabilator trim. I never have cared for that flat rocker switch I have to punch with my finger tip. The switches in the -12 panel are made by Otto and are available from Mouser Electronics. I ordered the K2ALMAAAAA, which has the long paddle, for about $20. Getting switches in and out is kind of a pain but is do-able. Attached is a picture of my new trim switch. I like it a lot!
VAFDR_ 105 Jan. 23.jpg

Don't want to see this ...
Local teardown, early 360 angle valve. Compare the lobe in the foreground with the next, or the one by my thumb.
VAFDR_ 106 Jan. 23.jpg

Masking Long Curves
So, I thought I could freehand the curved stripe on the fuselage of my -14A. I did, but it turned out pretty crappy. Lots of variations in width. Not acceptable. So, before I sand it all off and do it again, I would like to know if there is a method a shade tree painter like me can use to get the curves precisely correct. I will try to fabricate a template somehow if there is no other way. I also thought about measuring many many many offsets from a straight line to create an accurate curve. Lasers of some kind?
VAFDR_ 107 Jan. 23.jpg

Preventing a canopy crack in a RV-8
It may be perception but it seems like a lot of 8’s with canopy cracks get them in the proximity of the canopy brace that bridges the 2 sides. I remember Mr Horton‘s explanation of the increasing force as the canopy narrows.
i may be overthinking this but if I go ahead and cut the canopy and use proseal to fill the cut and attach a cover strip will alleviate a lot of the stress that causes the crack.
It would be easy to do while fitting the canopy.
Good idea or bad idea?
VAFDR_ 108 Jan. 23.jpg

And this issue's Off Topic:
VAFDR_ 109 Jan. 23.jpg

Back