What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News ….4.9.2024. Bob Brashear Obituary. Eclipse.

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————

Bob Brashear’s Obituary...funeral is 4/9 in Waco, TX.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/bob-brashear.225854/post-1759987

Pics: Solar Eclipse 2024 pics taken by RVators

Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 2.27.13 PM.png

Damaged F-1240 Upper Forward Fuselage Skin
I did something stupid.
I have this RV-12 legacy SLSA, and I've been dealing with the avionics bay cover for a couple months now. My post history has a couple mentions of this, but the tl;dr is that the F-1240 avionics bay cover was bonded to the avionics bay. I had to do some heavy work on the avionics, so I had to remove the cover, and now I've been trying to put it back on. I removed all of the sealant, redid the fuel tank sealant without binding it to the cover, and have attempted no kidding six times now to get the RTV right and I just keep having problems with it.
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.53.51 PM.png

Fuel reading drops as altitude increases, returns with descent
I've got a problem that the LH tank (capacitive fuel sensor) in my RV-7A will show the fuel level dropping considerably when ascending to altitudes say 6,500 ft or above. For example, today I was going on a long flight just building hours and sightseeing. Everything was working well for more than an hour, but shortly after refueling, the gauge for LH tank starting reading lower and lower, dropping to about 4 gal showing on the gauge. When descended later in the flight it came up some, but not all the way. When I landed and topped off the tanks, I'd only used 4 gal out of that tank.

RV-10 Power Block Diagram
Hi - Looking for critiques of our RV-10 power wiring diagram. I've put together multiple block diagrams including ones based on Z-13, Z-14, and Z-101. However, Bill Judge forwarded me a presentation that he gave that included a "get home" configuration that seemed really interesting. We're keeping it at a block diagram level now and will go into further detail once we get general consensus on the block diagram. We've also been debating a Z-14 approach.
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.55.29 PM.png

Wachula (KCHN)
Bensen Days Recap
….old farts.
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.56.50 PM.png

Can this part be saved?
Looks like I might have messed up my first part. A misalignment with my pneumatic dimpler caused me to hit the side of a hole instead of going through the hole properly. I was able to re-align and then properly dimple the hole after the damage had been done, however. This is p/n VS-704 - one of the vertical stabilizer ribs on the 14. Can this part be saved or should I scrap and replace?
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.57.32 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screenshot 2024-04-08 at 5.59.49 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back