What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News ….4.2.2024. Chris Pratt's new pants!

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————
RV-8 Wheel Pants and Gear Fairings Refresh – Finally!…Chris Pratt
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 8.59.38 AM.png

From Last Weekend …Wyatt
Wrapped up a G3X Touch full panel upgrade -- which really amounted to rewiring most of the airplane -- and got the shakedown flights and new xpdr/pitot-static inspections done in time to make our first visit to the Bahamas, escaping the midwest before the winter's first big snow. This is a trip we've been talking about since sitting in on a forum at OSH several years back, and work schedules finally aligned to let it happen.
We'd reserved a small VRBO on the beach near Governor's Harbour, so the plan was RST-FPR (Rochester MN - Ft Pierce FL) on a Sunday, hotel overnight, and then on to MYEM Monday morning. We ended up changing the overnight to MLB (Melbourne FL) due to hotel availability, and re-filing eAPIS for a departure from there instead. We were given routing over BNA (Nashville TN), and then a shortcut crossing the Disney TFR and directly east over MCO (Orlando FL)...very cool. The trip down was easy, with just a little IMC in middle FL, and no problems crossing out of the US the next day.
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 9.04.32 AM.png

Confusion about DWG 19 firewall penetrations
I need to drill holes for throttle and mixture cables for my 9A. I’m using an RSA fuel servo, with throttle on the left and mixture on the right. It will be vertical on the bottom of what was an O-320. I see there are a few locations called out on the DWG 19 inset. I read the firewall forward kit instructions which say a vertically mounted Bendix servo should be treated as a carb.
For the throttle cable, the drawing says to use hole A (in the bumpout) for a 9A with an O-320. It also lists hole B (low, a little right of center) for a 7A with an O-320. Why the big difference? The fuselages are identical, same engine….
Similarly for the mixture cable: hole D (high/left) for 9A/O-320 vs. hole E (low/right) for 7A/O-320. Why the difference?
I like the idea of up high because all of the low spots go through the heat deflection cover which seems like a pain. Thanks for any insight. I’m only asking because I’ve found that when I don’t understand why the plans are a certain way, I often end up choosing the poor path…
https://vansairforce.net/threads/confusion-about-dwg-19-firewall-penetrations.225779/

Airbox Template in SW …Johnbright
I made a template in SolidWorks. It's for the FAB-320-1. If it's useful I could make a template for the for the FAB-360/540.
I put wings on it to keep the filter from swelling outward at the bottom.
https://vansairforce.net/threads/my-air-filter-wore-thru-my-airbox.189210/#post-1758489
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 9.01.55 AM.png

Emp fairing vs stabilator …12
I assume the remediation is filing skin although maybe I could abandon the two positioning holes, trim the area around the VS spar deeper, then pull the fairing forward
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 9.03.28 AM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Don't play dice with geese.....they cheat.
Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 8.56.14 AM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back