What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

William David Gaulden

mg@nd

I'm New Here
I never had the opportunity to meet Wm David Gaulden. After a number of conversations with his son and daughters, meeting his bride, and a week spent in David's hangar hearing stories from his many friends in MD, I do know I've missed someone special.

That week was spent 'helping' with a condition inspection / pre-buy. If you ever need an RV expert in the NE / mid-Atlantic area, you could not do better than linking up with Nick Bachert (former US Army, previously built an RV-7, RV-10 & currently building a helicopter). His skills are second to none and prices very reasonable.

David, with help from Rich Sears (who built and flies a beautiful RV-8), crafted his RV-4 from 1994 to 2006. It has an O-360 AIA mated to an Aymer-DeMuth prop. He flew and maintained it until he passed last month at the age of 97. Reportedly he never flew it more than 30-35 miles from home.

If I'm as blessed as David, I hope to be flying, caring for and polishing his bird for another 30 years.

Attachments

• IMG_20231106_175956.jpg
    IMG_20231106_175956.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 140
  • -1501381050476078499.jpg
    -1501381050476078499.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 200
+1 for recommendation of Nick Bachert. He did a prebuy for me several years ago and likely saved me a fortune. He has built a -10 and a -7 and I highly recommend him.

Dave

Back in the late 1980s, I shared a hangar with Dave at the Easton, MD airport. He was extremely generous guy who not only let me fly his beautiful Nesmith Cougar, he also took care of my Champ for a year while I was away at Air Force pilot training, and later facilitated its sale when I was assigned overseas.

Over the years, though I lived far away, I only heard very good things about Dave. He is missed.

Mark,
It was a pleasure meeting you and Nick @ ESN.
I was Dave's neighbor at the airport for about 10 years. A wonderful southern gentleman and a great friend.
I too, hope to be able to see my 90's and be as spry as he was.
He is sorely missed.

Mark

RV Elmer

Dave was a remarkable guy. Flying well into his nineties! He took videos of my RV-8 first flight back in 2005. He will be missed.

Mugsy

Back