What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

wheel halves bolt torque ?

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
The drawing that comes in the Cleveland wheel package calls for the bolts that hold the wheel halves together to be torqued to 90 in-lb. The standard torque range for a fine threaded 1/4" bolt, however, is 50-70 in-lb. Which of these trumps the other? Thanks.

Follow the manufacturers info.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
The drawing that comes in the Cleveland wheel package calls for the bolts that hold the wheel halves together to be torqued to 90 in-lb. The standard torque range for a fine threaded 1/4" bolt, however, is 50-70 in-lb. Which of these trumps the other? Thanks.

What you are calling Standard Range probably came from AC43-13

Those figures are to be used in absence of any manufacturers recommendations.

The loading and cycles that a wheel experiences are more than a bolt in the wing etc. Cleveland has calculated the preload that is best for the wheel and the fastener. their recommendation also takes into account the friction of the nut they call out.

Standard Torques do not take this into account, the friction drag would need to be determined and added on.

Go with your manufacturer's recommendations.

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
The 50-70 in lbs is for bolts primarily loaded in shear. The MAX torque for 1/4" fine thread is 100 in lbs. Ref. table 7-1, AC43.13-1B

There is a sticker on my 5.00 x 5 Cleveland wheel, and the part number is visible but the torque value is not. It's a part #40-78B. So I downloaded the Cleveland brakes manual and on the torque table, it says for that type of wheel "Refer to PRM96"... But I have no clue what that means, it's not mentioned anywhere else in the document. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed

There is a sticker on my 5.00 x 5 Cleveland wheel, and the part number is visible but the torque value is not. It's a part #40-78B. So I downloaded the Cleveland brakes manual and on the torque table, it says for that type of wheel "Refer to PRM96"... But I have no clue what that means, it's not mentioned anywhere else in the document. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Ed

Link to Product Reference Memo (PRM) 96:

Back