What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weird starting issue. Advice welcomed

AmontgoRV

The other day I started up my -10 and everything was perfect. Fired right up in 2-3 blades. Today I went to start it and the starter was turning the prop but the cylinders never fired. I proceeded to try multiple different starting techniques but nothing worked. I then tried removing the left p-lead and got the same results; no ignition. I then reconnected the left p-lead and disconnected the right p-lead only and the airplane fired right up. Running two slick mags on my Thunderbolt IO-540. Tested the ignition switch and everything is good there. I am very confused. Why would ungrounding only the right mag's p-lead result in successfully starting the engine? I always thought that the left mag is the impulse coupled mag and the right mag is not. So why would removing only the right p-lead be my solution to starting? Strange.

Any thoughts?

You sure you have an impulse coupler? they quit using those in the 6 cyl motors quite a while ago.
Sounds like a bad slick-start to me.

There may also be a blown fuse in line with the slick start module. Normally the module connects through a fuse directly to the starter solenoid.

Basics...

The other day I started up my -10 and everything was perfect. Fired right up in 2-3 blades. Today I went to start it and the starter was turning the prop but the cylinders never fired. I proceeded to try multiple different starting techniques but nothing worked. I then tried removing the left p-lead and got the same results; no ignition. I then reconnected the left p-lead and disconnected the right p-lead only and the airplane fired right up. Running two slick mags on my Thunderbolt IO-540. Tested the ignition switch and everything is good there. I am very confused. Why would ungrounding only the right mag's p-lead result in successfully starting the engine? I always thought that the left mag is the impulse coupled mag and the right mag is not. So why would removing only the right p-lead be my solution to starting? Strange.

Any thoughts?

A couple of questions --

1. Do you have a Key-switch (OFF/R/L/BOTH-START) or Independent Mag Switches? (I see the word "Ignition Switch" in the OP -- so it's not clear)

2. When you have the fuel off, and the P-lead's are grounded -- If you move the propeller a few blades do you hear a pronounced "CLACK" sound?

Back